Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best buys

Options
  • 16-01-2002 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭

IN the next week im about to crawl out of the primorial ooze that i call a P166. So ne old games are just old!!!!

So what are the best buys?If you could buy one game what would it be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fooger

since you didn't say what spec you were getting i would say get half-life:blue shift and download all the mods your hard drive can handle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Yeah...you have to get Half Life..I have it ages and Im still playing single player mods, you can get them on the PCGamer cover CD and dont forget CS you have to try that! There is a mod there to suit everyone! Vampire Slayer(H/l Mod) looks good but im still stuck with Version2! Also if you live in Dublin the DNc net cafe do a CD for about 4euros?? and it has lots of different mods on it...Quake 3 mods as well! Quake 3 looks deadly especially when you frag someone and run through all their flyin blood! :)
    I got Startopia there a whileback and it was good ...a nice introduction to management sims?! Max Payne is good as well!
    I got Serious Sam and it f*cked up my video card! Its a Voodoo3 so it doesn't owe me anything!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Red Alert, Starcraft, Baldurs Gate.
    They are nice games, very playable, good lastability and have multiplayer options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Championship Manager 01/02. You have to get this game. Or wait for CM4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Alien Vs Predator 2 is brillo fun but a little short. (oh and saving the game is cheating!) :) play it old style

<edit>#i was gonna make a new topic outta this but it seems kinda the same#

wanna buy a new game to play for my holidays...

dunnno which tho,
    thinking of Grand Theft Auto for PS2 cos i love racing games(gran turismo driver) and liked GTA1, 2 suxed. I know its all 3d now. and seems like it could be good from whats been said in the other thread.

But what i really wanna know is what Civ3 is like. I've never played them before but i do like strategy games. And whats the turnbased stradegy like? Long Lasting game? I like all C&C games aswell as Age of Empires2 Settlers. The only real turn based stradegy game i've playe is X-Com terror of the deep, that was pretty cool.

Any other games worth look at? I like the odd RTS mainly Deux Ex and Half Life.

Oh whats Worms World Party like? and why it so popular, it similar to the orginal worms or worms armagedon? I dunno.

Just what games should i have and why? :)

</edit>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Get GTA3 for your PS2, you won't regret it. The game is fooking massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Championship Manager 01/02. You have to get this game. Or wait for CM4

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA *gasp* *hhuuuuuuuh* .... ... BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAEHAHEHEHEHEHEHHhuuuhh *falls over*

yeah maybe you just cant hack the life of a full time professional football manager ;]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Oh yeah i forget to say my specs. well they wont be a prob.
    1600mhz,512 dram,64mb geforce.!!!!!!! *praise the lord*
    Keep those suggestions coming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

To gideon:
    Get civ3,it is good to play,and its lastability is almost endless.
    A friend of mine had a 9month long game in civ2 (16man),and good games of civ3 last just as long.You have to be very patient though,as it can get tediousw if you dont like that sorta game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vivi

Originally posted by Gideon

<edit>#i was gonna make a new topic outta this but it seems kinda the same#

wanna buy a new game to play for my holidays...
    </edit>

I've played them all and CIV is good but if i was going to buy 1 of them i would go with GTA but the best game i've played yet on the PS2 is devil may cry and is well worth getting

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Fooger
    since you didn't say what spec you were getting i would say get half-life:blue shift and download all the mods your hard drive can handle

blue shift is the worst game ive ever played.
    finished it in about 4 hours. sucks.
    get the half life, opposing forces box. you can get both games for about 20 quid now. r else just get half life for a tenner.
    also worth getting is the unreal pack with unreal, the add-on pack return to na-pali and unreal tournament.
    if you like rts, then for my money, empire earth or age of kings:the conquerors. this is deffinately my game of the moment.

most places are having a sale at the moment and you can pick up soldier of fortune for a tenner as well, as well as a load of old great games for under a tenner. games like homeworld, colin mcrea rally etc.

oh, and for pure shooting pleasure and fun, get serious sam, but dont pay over 15 quid for it. it is a budget game, but it blows quake away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Forget Grand Theft Auto and all that other crap (Red Alert, Starcraft, Baldurs Gate, gran turismo, civ3 etc

And especially the big Poo stuff like: Championship Manager 01/02

Deus Ex, Half Life and Aliens vs Predator are all worthy must haves, but to really revel in yoiur new found Glory of Speed and Power, there can be no better Purchase than £12 for Unreal Tournament. (The most fun you can have without your Penis).

You wanna see that 1600mhz,512 dram,64mb geforce move amazingly. UT will blow you away.

(WhiteWashMan knows!)

And if you have a good sound setup you will realise you never existed in the PC world until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

CM4? You gotta be kidding me. Avoid like the plague. Worst series of games ever.

Go for Wolfenstein, Half-Life (obviously!), Operation Flashpoint (so so cool), Max Payne, Baldurs Gate, Diablo II, Alien Vs Predator. Am I getting too obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ground Control.
    No-One Lives Forever
    Operation Flashpoint Gold pack + Joystick :drools:
    Insane + steering wheel/joystick
    I-war2 + Joystick
    A decent Flight Sim. Falcon 4 and get the big realism patch when it's finalised. And a Joystick.
    I've a Logitech Digital Extreme 3D. Given me great service. It's just reached it's "nice stage"

Hmm some good suggestions, no i dont know what to think but u did confirm some of the games i had my eyes on

Ohhh i dont really read this forum but i heard wolfenstein is too short and not totally worth.

Bring it on serious sam!!!!!!! :D

Maybe you're just a "South Park Rally " type of guy?

hehehe jokes on you i've never pld the game....................heh! wait a minute was that meant to be an insult :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Gideon, If you like strategy with a little something else, try Ghost Recon. It's a little slow for me (hey strategy games were never really my bag), but the game play is rather good - I keep getting creamed cause I just wanna run around and shoot stuff.

Im sure Baulders Gate 2 will be up on ur list (at least at number 2) seeing as you were a fan of the original.

• Advertisement

Where can you get Soldier Of Fortune? I cant find that game anywhere, last time I saw it was in HMV Henry St. and that was years ago

Originally posted by Jabba
    Im sure Baulders Gate 2 will be up on ur list (at least at number 2) seeing as you were a fan of the original.

Yes! yes i was, so heres my list so far in no particular order:

Esc. from castle wolf.
    BAldurs gate 2
    GTA3 when it comes out on pc
    Serious sam
    diablo 2
    alien vs predator 2?

Does that sound good
    P.s i have all the half-life and i dont want champ. manger(any of them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Looks good, but might I recomend Max Payne instead of RTCW, unless you want a primarily multiplayer game. Also, you should buy most of them in smyths, it's the best value, and you can pick up cheap budget games there too(theif for £5).

I see,...............i never heard of max payne though any good?

get it off keeper, sangre , hes finished with it.(max payne that is)

BTW did u play the demo of serious sam? Its fun for a no brainer but i really wouldnt shell out moneh for it.

Yeah, whens the real Serious Sam release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Uphamizer

My personal favourites are (in order)
    GTA3(PS2)
    Operation Flashpoint + Gold addon
    Half-life + CounterStrike
    Half-Life + Team Fortress Classic
    Quake3
    Quake2
    Command and Conquer : Red Alert 2
    Tibirium sun
    Age of Empires : Age of Kings
    GTA1

I can't think of any more at the moment :/
    I'm thinking of buying Devil May Cry and Gran Turismo 3 for the PS2 is it any good?

Advertisement