Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Square games already in development for Xbox?

Options
  • 16-01-2002 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Square have confirmed that they are talking with MS and are confident about producing "Xbox" type games, with the emphasis on broadband connectivity.

We all now the direction square want to go with FFXI, the window of oppurtunity is open for MS, this could be the killer app for japan.

Full story @ Xbox365

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Couple of points to make.

Firstly, when Sony paid several billion yen for about 20% of Square during the summer, you can bet they weren't doing it for the good of their health. Square sabre-rattled and said they were thinking of developing for other platforms; Sony, recently stung by Capcom bringing Resi to GameCube, jumped in with a blank cheque.

It's a safe bet that we won't be seeing any standalone Square games on Xbox any time soon. A deal was mooted a while back whereby Final Fantasy would be on GameCube, Xenosaga would be on PS2 and Chrono would be on Xbox, giving each platform a major Square franchise. It now seems entirely unlikely that this will happen.

However, Final Fantasy XI is another question entirely. Although the game is unlikely to be a huge success in Japan - anticipation there is very low and when a hype machine like Famitsu reports that most people are more interested in FFXII, you sit up and listen. Chances are Square will put it, along with a PlayOnline client, on every platform they can. As long as you're paying a tenner a month, they don't give a damn what console you're playing the game on! Sony are keen to see FFXI succeed as well and are unlikely to block a cross-platform initiative on it, although an exclusivity period on PS2 is inevitable.

Summary... I very much doubt that Square is developing Xbox exclusive games or ports, but I'd be surprised if they weren't continuing with their plan to go cross-platform with FFXI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Forgive me if im wrong here.:)

But isnt the Resi exclusive with GC just a publicity stunt.
    I believe capcom are in a 2 year deal with ninty, with the aim of bringing all current games in the series ported to the GC, with some little and magor revamps, but 2 years is just about enough time to do this....what about the next installment in the Resi series..i think that we will see that on most consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The deal with Nintendo is that they're going to remake all the existing Resi titles for the GameCube, followed by Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil 4 - also GameCube exclusives.

After that they'll probably reconsider, but that's six titles locked into GameCube before a Resi title appears anywhere else... At least two to three years of development. Long enough for us to be ramping up to PS3 before Resi is free again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Thanks for the info, i stand very much corrected.
    :)

Advertisement