Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is TCP/IP?

Options
  • 16-01-2002 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Control Panel - Network - Configuration...
    Under where it says "The following network components are installed" I removed the entry
    TCP/IP -> (n.i.c. card name here)
    because it was giving my PC load times of 5 minutes and random crashes. I've kept TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter (I assume it's needed for Internet).
    Basically I haven't got my network set up properly yet and I don't know how important is the TCP/IP thing I've removed. By removing it will I not be able to send files or play games on the LAN? If I need the TCP/IP then is there any way I can put it back on without it massively affecting my boot times and crashing me?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Specify a static ip to the network card
    (ie) 192.168.2.3
    and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

I assume that your boot times have been slowed because the puter is looking for a network connection that may not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

as you said, no you wont be able to get on a lan without TCP/IP. its probably the single most important suite of protocols in the world.

in fact, you probably wouldnt even be able to scratch your arse without TCP/IP. Lesson over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I have been known to Scratch my arse over Netbeui or IPX.. but yeah, if you want a LAN then TCP/IP is needed for a lot of games these days.

A good idea is to look for a basic "I have a small home Network" tutorial for setting up TCP/IP using Static IP Address's.

Gamb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

or indeed, even the links on the announcement at the top of the forum.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
    Control Panel - Network - Configuration...
    Under where it says "The following network components are installed" I removed the entry
    TCP/IP -> (n.i.c. card name here)
    because it was giving my PC load times of 5 minutes and random crashes. I've kept TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter (I assume it's needed for Internet).
    Basically I haven't got my network set up properly yet and I don't know how important is the TCP/IP thing I've removed. By removing it will I not be able to send files or play games on the LAN? If I need the TCP/IP then is there any way I can put it back on without it massively affecting my boot times and crashing me?

Thanks
    I can't think of why TCP/IP binding to an ethernet device would be crashing windoze, however it is possible the win box is looking for a dhcp server so a static ip might not be a bad idea, however do you have a lan to connect it to? What is the point in having an ethernet device without a lan to play with?

It sounds as if in fact the driver for your ethernet cards is not installed properly or you have some kind of irq conflict in fact. Yes, remove the device from device manager, reboot, specify the driver you want to install and explicately install it, don't let windoze do it. Then go to start + run + type msconfig, I get a bit fuzzy here because I haven't used windoze in a while but in msconfig there should be an option to extract a file from the installation disk? Right so select this option for wsock.dll and wsock32.dll, or in other words after you have removed and explicately installed your ethernet device do the windoze winsock fix ie above extracts.
    Or from dos D:\win98> extract /a base_4.cab wsock32.dll /l c:\windows\system32
    and d:\win98> extract /a base_4.cab wsock.dll /l c:\windows\system32 if your windows 9x disk is in a drive called D.
    Che Lives.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Oh I forgot, the you might want to add a static ipaddress to the ethernet device. You could make a Class B network ie 192.168.x.x or like mine do a class C network 150.100.x.x or maybe those network classes are the other way round, anyhmm if assigning a static ip to TCP/IP->Somethernetdevice in windoze like
    150.100.100.30 subnet 255.255.0.0 gives you a bluescreen and you have done the winsock fix then it must be the dirver being used(so update it I guess) or it must be some of the dlls and or sys files being used by doze to either assign an ip and send tcp packets (tho if you have internet access via a winmodem for example on the same system this is hardly the case now is it?) or there is some kind of unseen hardware problem, or a virus.

/*Non puo' giudicare un uomo basandosi sulla sola logica.
    --McCoy, "I, Mudd", data astrale 4513.3*/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Thanks,

The reason the LAN ain't connected up is because the other PC isn't set up yet. :)
    I've tried specifying the IP address and tried re-installing the drivers and it seemed to be working fine (Windows load time speeded up greatly) until I got random crashing again. At one point the computer restarted but the monitor chose not to follow it and so I had no image however many times I turned the monitor on and off. Most of the time though it just stops working here:
    C:\

I know its not Net/Comms but is it a hard drive problem? My connections seem to be secure and like I said I defrag, clean up and scandisk regularly enough. The reason I ask is I don't want to format my HDD only to discover it's something else causing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I bring my pc from work to home all the time.

Only thing that ever lags it is if the network cable/modem is disconnected and I try to log on, anyway....

At home I'm on dialup so i leave the bindings for the nic in network neighborhood and simply go into device manager click the properties for my nic and disable this device, while playing away with my modem. When I'm on lan I simply disable the modem. Unless your com is a p133mhz it shouldn't affect it to leave the tcp/ip bindings in there.

Although as mentioned above by someone you probably have conflicting irq's which are causing this lag/crashing etc........

Keep the Nic disabled unless it's on a network ;) Ditto for the modem but..........while you have them both installed run----> msinfo32 select hardware components/resources
    >Irq's and make sure you don't have more than 2 devices sharing the same irq number and everything should run according to plan even if the nic and modem are both installed and configured to operate.

Advertisement