Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble on Sky Box Office

Options
  • 17-01-2002 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am wrestling fan and just found out that SKY are showing the Royal Rumble on Sky Box Office for €21.99 which I think is expensive for an event which is on at 01:00 am and which is usually on Sky Sports 1 for free. I was just wondering has anyone ordered the event yet or is thinking about it????

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I do agree that €22 is very steep for a Monday morning PPV event, but as for you argument "usually free on SS1", sure most PPV's in the USA are on sky sports but every year there are generally 4 PPV's for the WWF on sky, and WWF have insisted that this be one of them.

Thanks god, i now know where to get it free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

€21.99 is a bit too much for a 1am Monday morning event but it will be repeated continuously for the week after. myself and 4 friends are gonna get some cans in and split the cost of the Rumble 5 ways

Tip for you Mossy.
    Buy an FTA box, swing a dish to 21°W, and enjoy the best in NBA, NFL, NHL, and WWF programmes and PPV's for free.

Sky feeds on 21W use BT muxes 11,508H SR 5632 FEC 3/4, 11,559H SR 5630 FEC 3/4, 11,498H SR 5632 FEC 3/3 and so on (word "BT" in Ch ID) and contain only edited versions, PW & Channel 4 most of the time use dual feeds from WWF Head Quarters where one of the feeds is also edited, ready to broadcast version with slight delay. These can be observed on 11,591V SR 20145 FEC 3/4, 11,490V SR 24500 FEC 3/4 and other frequencies with characteristic Stamford test card before broadcast.

Royal Rumble for free, no ads and unedited.
    The no ads bit is the best, you wanna see Jerricho practising taking the piss out of Stephany McMahon...etc etc..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it would be great but there is no chance of getting a FTA box before this Sunday :( but i will most definately be buying one. how big a dish is needed for those feeds

1M would serve you well, get an FTA box with Diseq 1.2 built in, this will drive a motorised dish without the need for a positioner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I write for a UK based wrestling website, and lot of people over there a kicking a stink up over it.

Aswell as that Channel 5 is rumoured to take over where Channel 4 left off, picking up SNH and 4 PPVs a year.

Lots of people mailed C5 to let them know what they could do.

I guess a lot of people were pissed that C4 kept cutting/censoring a show that was being shown after 1:00am each Sunday - its a funny old world

Editing a show is simply unacceptable considering the level of technology we have at our disposable.

NTL/Sky/C4 all broadcast these events in simplistic stereo sound, i think its about time to include a second audio and unedited layer in these transmissions.

If i remember correctly though, Sky are not over agressive with the PPV's when it comes to censoring, maybe words like $hit are bleeped, but thats about it.

But i would like to see my original idea implemented in expecially Music Channels, we havent quite got the ability for a second Video layer, but an unedited audio stream would only fill the wasted bandwidth on sky's tps.

Your very lucky that your getting to see that even as it was origionally scheduled to air on Channel 4.Due to its graphic nature channel 4 does not want to show air this kind of show on its station ? ? Sky bid in late to show it and is now putting on that price.Hopfully its going to be the only PPV we have to pay for .If they get enough ppl paying for it they might do it for he next.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Well, the old Channel 4 argreement, that ended at the turn of the year, had 4 US PPV's as well as Heat.

Now, no broadcaster has picked up Heat, although Channel 5 maybe interested, as reported here and elsewhere.

As those 4 PPV were in limbo, Sky snapped them up

But over €22 for a 1am show? It's not heavyweight boxing, it's entertainment....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

going slightly off topic how come channel 5 was available on skys old anologue system but isnt on on digital sattellite nor is it available on NTL digitial.

the ppv events on channel four used to be on at 2am in the morning and they used to put in tiny little 30 second 1 minute ads. and i dont think they censored much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MrAnarchy

WWF wrestling has become a bit of a joke lately.
    Since the company' plans to turn Public were announced they have blatantly used every tactic in the book to pull in more money.
    Before there were 4 big events in the year ( King of the Ring,Royal Rumble,SummerSlam,and Wrestlemania).
    Now there is a big event every month which is a bit ridiculous.
    No sooner is a big event over than Raw is on the night after !
    Soon there will be wrestling on every night of the week.
    It seems all the Wrestlers with a bit of character have been thrown out of the WWF and replaced with cheap second rate wrestlers.
    Steve Austin ,Chris Jericho, HHH.
    All of these wrestlers once used to be hammered week in week out.Now they are unbeatable ?
    Without doubt ,The Big Show,Kane and The Undertaker ( although he needs a new name ) should kill any other wrestlers .
    Yet they rarely get a title shot.
    I still like to watch it the odd time and reminise on the good old days of Razor Ramon and Shawn Michaels in their legendary ladder match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Sky Sports 1 does a WWF Classics on Monday night from 6 to 7pm. They show shows from way back when with the likes of Hulk Hogan and The Heart Foundation. The days when the late Gorrila Monsson and Bobby "The Brain" hennan doing commentry.

Oh the glory days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Phelim 3:16

hey Chernobyl,

Is there any chance you could expand on what you were saying about getting WWF stuff free and unedited? I just got sky digital last week so please don't be too technical! How do you do it? What do you need and How exactly does it work? Sorry for all the questions but this really interests me. BTW does everyone know that WWF is bringing back Hall, Nash and Hogan? Well they are they signed them on Sunday. Maybe at the Rumble!

Thanks
    Phelim

All the info is in this thread, but you wont be able to do it with your Sky Equipment.

Advertisement