Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISA to PCI ?

• 02-10-2000 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm getting a new pc, sans modem. It has no ISA slots. I have my decent HARDWARE ISA modem here in perfect working order. I hear there are some kind of adaptors available to make an ISA device work in a PCI slot. Can anyone enlighten me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I have a sneaky feeling you heard wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Hmm... Their could be, but I've never heard of one.

....but don't we all know the feeling of driving to town and suddenly realizing you still have your barn boots on....or reaching over to pick up carrots at the store and having alfalfa fall out of your hair.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I really don't think so. You might be mixing it up with the PCI-ISA bridge, which is a part of your MBD chipset. I suppose that means it is technically possible, but I've never seen one, cheaper and easier just to get a new one.

Ps. Well done on finally getting rid of the 200..... smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Someone mentioned to me last week that you could get such an adaptor - unless they where talking ****e - /me looks tru logs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

HHHHHHMMMMMMMM........

I'd say you can get one some where.... Where though.

Hardly anywhere in Ireland. Its the kind of thing thats thrown in the back of a computer store if such a thing exists.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, I saw what might be the device on some dodgy american website last night. I'll post the link up if I can dig it out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Found it. As I said, it looks fairly dodgy. Sooo... how much would a decent hardware pci modem cost me these days? (winmodem = pants)
    http://plxtech.com/press/articles/e_buyers_news/isa.htm

- Munch
    - Sh33r l33tn35$, i tell you
    - Fortress.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

M33p, get an external modem.
    They rock!
    All those lights, lovingly twinkling at you as you download yet another gig of d0nkey pr0n smile.gif
    And at least you know it's not going to be a winmodem.
    But then you never know when broadband is going to pop out of nowhere, (lol)!
    Anyway, a good external jobbie you can get for £40-£120 depending on where you shop and what you want to pay.

....but don't we all know the feeling of driving to town and suddenly realizing you still have your barn boots on....or reaching over to pick up carrots at the store and having alfalfa fall out of your hair.....

Advertisement