Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom increase price of ADSL

Options
  • 17-01-2002 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Ripped this from ie.comp. Thanks to Aengus.

You still can't get ADSL, but Eircom have already increased the price from
    that quoted last September!

They're now planning to charge €110 plus VAT for a service that was
    advertised at €99 plus VAT only 3 months ago!

Telecommunications Scheme 2002 Section 1 Part 21
    eircom i-stream (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line)
    512kbs/128kbs 3GB €110.00
    512kbs/128kbs 4GB €140.00

1MB/256kbs 6GB €165.00
    1MB/256kbs unlimited €228.00

Installation €125.00

All charges shown are exclusive of value added tax.

The full list is at:
    http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/Sn1_pt21.pdf

Aengus

Unbelievable

Tim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I give them credit, they sure can boast alot of bullcrap. They cant change any prices cos they dont even have the service running properly or at all. They can boast all they got, but when it comes to actually delivering something, they cant do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

I think at this stage satellite internet access from a foreign ISP may be the only way to go if one wants to get broadband access going. Lets hope that someone comes along and offers us some cheap satellite access. A group in the UK looked promising, anyone know who they were? About four months ago I saw them.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Psychotic

The sh1t was far too expensive in the first place and this ensures minimal take-up by home users and if Eircom do the sums less profit for them.

many people I have been talking to already are saying that €99 a month is far too expensive for the average home user budget even a small business will find that to have the broadband dream
    in Ireland is just too expensive and will have to chose that crap narrowband (SLOW AS F**K) dial-up ISDN or a modest pay-as-you-go dial-up (Eircom unreccomded)

And for satillite

For a bussiness satillite is the solution but for gamers like me the latency is too bad (send information from your dish to the satillite)
    Pings no better than 500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Full (proposed) price is now EUR 132 per month. That is including VAT. That is for a medium speed capped service.

Can anyone find a worse value ADSL service than this anywhere in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Psychotic
    And for satillite

For a bussiness satillite is the solution but for gamers like me the latency is too bad (send information from your dish to the satillite)
    Pings no better than 500

there's always something, ain't there :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Psychotic
    even a small business will find that to have the broadband dream in Ireland is just too expensive and will have to chose that crap narrowband (SLOW AS F**K) dial-up ISDN or a modest pay-as-you-go dial-up (Eircom unreccomded)

I think anyone on ISDN will switch straight to ADSL, regardless of price. We had single-channel in our place for a while, and the last bill we got had £20 worth of calls on it(Voice + Data). The bill came to £140 after rental + VAT. Umm...yes...I think I'd be happy to €100/month for a connection that actually works and doesn't cost by the minute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Full (proposed) price is now EUR 132 per month. That is including VAT. That is for a medium speed capped service.

Don't forget the line rental.. so EUR151.33 a month (inc VAT at 21% from March) plus EUR30 a month extra for each GB over 3GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I'd draw your attention to this part
    "2.eircom i-stream connection and monthly rental charges are payable in addition to the telephone exchange line connection and monthly rental charges."

eircom i-stream
    1MB Downstream Unlimited
    enhanced 256kbs Upstream
    Connection €125.00
    Monthly €228.00
    No Cap

So what are we talking...
    Connection €125
    Monthly €228 + €15.07 line rental + Vat = €294.12

The first month is going to cost €419.12 then €294.12 after that or €3654.44 per year... cheap i don't think...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Fergus
    plus EUR30 a month extra for each GB over 3GB.

Wasn't it £30(ish) per additional GB, so therefore whatever the equivalent in Euros would be (about EUR39)?? Or have they since said EUR30??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i know the ODTC are at logger heads with €ircom over the wholsale price but could you also complain to the office of the Ombudsman for being ripped off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

They're now planning to charge €110 plus VAT for a service that was
    advertised at €99 plus VAT only 3 months ago!

Eircom made this change back in October last. At the time adam speculated that it was an attempt to get satisfy the odtr's problem with "margin squeeze" with their original proposed price - ie that the difference between the wholesale and retail prices was too small, so Eircom will just up the retail price rather than lower the wholesale one.

Discussed in this thread
    Can anyone find a worse value ADSL service than this anywhere in the world?

Telecom New Zealand's Jetstream.
    Their 3G/month service is in the middle of their cap/price range. Although its faster (2mb/250K) its going to cost NZD 310.23 (EUR 148.19) and thats ex GST (12.5 % I think).

TNZ were in the news recently when they billed some guy NZD 10000 for a month. His kids had been using Morpheus apparently. They've made a settlement but won't say what it is

Originally posted by neverhappen

Telecom New Zealand's Jetstream.
    Their 3G/month service is in the middle of their cap/price range. Although its faster (2mb/250K) its going to cost NZD 310.23 (EUR 148.19) and thats ex GST (12.5 % I think).
    [/URL]
    Congratulations! Although I amagine most people in New Zealand would go for the NZD 29 unlimited package. Rather slow at 128kbs, though. New Zealand is still a better place for Internet access despite their geographical isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

Although I imagine most people in New Zealand would go for the NZD 29 unlimited package.

The jetstart package is also in the news. TNZ are going to start enforcing the T+C that users do not use file-sharing programs as they are slowing down everybody else.

BTW if you look at the name of the TNZ service (jetstream) and the way the different offerings are structured / caps etc. it looks like eircom had a good look at new zealand when they started the marketing for i-stream.

Originally posted by neverhappen
    BTW if you look at the name of the TNZ service (jetstream) and the way the different offerings are structured / caps etc. it looks like eircom had a good look at new zealand when they started the marketing for i-stream.
    They must be suffering from lack of competition there as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

130 euro for adsl, GRAND with me, and alot of people like me.

ATM my isdn line is costing in the region of 550 euro a month.

Bring it on for 130 euro... (infact anything less than 500 euro a month would do me)

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Just to clarify, the price i was offered in August/September was IEP93 inc tax. Thats EU118 inc vat. This was the original price that the service was to be offered at.
    The last time i called sales (around the time of the original thread about the price increase) i was told in no uncertain terms that the price would be remaining the same. I said that the increase had been reflected on the website, but the guy said no, the original price still stood. Not sure if the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by Chief---
    130 euro for adsl, GRAND with me, and alot of people like me.

ATM my isdn line is costing in the region of 550 euro a month.

Bring it on for 130 euro... (infact anything less than 500 euro a month would do me)

Chief.

But remember the cheaper i-stream offerings have caps on them, so you may end up paying a lot more than €130

Originally posted by meglome

But remember the cheaper i-stream offerings have caps on them, so you may end up paying a lot more than ?130

Also might want to add that the cap on the cheaper offerings aren't download caps. They're transfer caps, so BOTH download AND upstream gets counted.

So in reality, even if you're not downloading files or such that much, but just browsing and checking mail, you're actually getting LESS than 3gb being downloaded by your machine.

(not sure if I phrased that last bit right)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

No.
    Originally posted by Mr. Eircom Sales Bloke
    For eircom i-stream solo the monthly allowance is 3GB.**
    **There is an additional charge of 2.36p (3 cent) ex VAT per MB for material downloaded over and above the stated monthly allowance.
    check Here for full details.

Pretty clear about downloads only on their webpage.
    Where did you hear about transfer caps?

Edit: The source of a lot of the confusion can be found by searching the eircom website for ADSL. One result isDomestic (new price), the other result is Business (old price)

Originally posted by Dustaz

Pretty clear about downloads only on their webpage/all docs ive ever seen.

Where did you hear about transfer caps?

They must have changed the content on their webpage since last I saw it (a while ago). It used to just mention a "transfer cap" which meant communications both ways being taken into account. If its been changed, my apologies boy n'girls :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement