Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up an IRC channel

Options
  • 17-01-2002 12:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Kinda comms I guess...

I want to set up an IRC channel for a website I run, but I have no idea how to go about it, since I'm a newbie to IRC. I guess it's possible to just create it, but I don't know how I stand when it comes to retaining control over it. Can anyone give me a few tips, maybe point me to a few resources? Also, I'd like a Java (applet) interface to it, like on this website, a freebie for preference. Make sure there's jam on it.

TIA,
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Connect to the IRC server you want your channel on (make sure you join the server that best suits your users... IE Gamers usually use Quakenet) and join #feds or #help (one or the other will get you pointed in the right direction)

The server will prolly have a web-page with a list of criteria and instructions for getting a channel with a Q bot

The other way is to get an egg-drop bot like #Fortress.ie has, but you need a l337 IRC Ha><0r for that stuff ;)

Lastly I recomend Jirc for the Java Chat, but you can get others..

Gamb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

What network are you planning on running the channel on? Ill presume its quakenet (if its not then the following isn't going to help you, as diffrent networks have diffrent bots for controling channels)

Firstly read the following

http://www.quakenet.org/guide/eng/index.html

Everything you need to know is there, how to use q, how to get a q ect..

If you are looking for a java app for website irc you can do a search on google, im sure you will find the code. Theres one here www.fortress.ie/reaver/irc.asp I did make that site but i didn't insert the java for the irc app as i didn't like the idea in the first place, the lad who did the asp did it ;)

Hope ive helped

Phill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ok, I wanted to ask this before but I didn't want to look like a complete moron. Now you've forced me into it - what's Q?

:)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Although all the info you need is in that site ill explain anyway ;)

Q is a bot/server that belongs to Quakenet and is always in the channel, its to keep the channel for you and to give you ops when you join your channel. When you join (say its your channel for example) you can auth eg: /msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org auth Vac Iloveyou, Vac being my user name and iloveyou being my (example) pass :) When you resquest your q on that site afaik it will ask you for that info. When you log in Q ops you, being OPed is having control. You can set channel topics, kick user's or ban them. You can also set other user's to get ops off q to a certain level.

Everything you need is in that FAQ, also im in irc all the time (ive got whats like a Bot that sits there for me and takes msg's) you can pm me if you join quakenet (/msg Vacilator blah blah or join #fortress.ie and double click my name) and ill either answer you or ill get your msg. Lots of lads in fortress.ie would be willing to help either im sure (its the irish games type channel, lots of irish lads from the boards there)

Sorry if i explained stuff you already knew there but im unsure of how you know irc ;)

Phill

Advertisement