Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red FM

Options
  • 17-01-2002 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

the new cork radio station... has anyone listened to this yet? (just did a search on google and its named "Red Hot FM")

i listend a couple times over the past few days... did it just spring up out of the blue or what? is it affiliated with 96fm in any way? they use the same news ppl as 96fm, but Red FM's launch was never advertised on it. they got their license in
    26th February 2001 ... how come i never heard of it b4? has it been going all this time?

The music i heard wasn't great... basically the same old stuff, no dance/techno stuff, and i didn't hear any westlife type stuff, which is good. what they played while i was listening to it was some second rate 80's songs, and some 5 year old hits that were a bit dodgy even when released (eg, 'You're Gorgeous' by Baby bird isn't it? and The Verve's 'Lucky Man'). Mostly the same kind of stuff u hear on 96fm or Today FM... i was hoping for something more along the lines of Phantom FM :) (never listened to phantom FM but i'm going by what i read on the forum)

They say its for 15 - 34 year olds, well if that is the case imo they could be a little bit more daring with their music selection. i know its a new station, so they're likely to improve a lot in the future.

has anyone listened to it during the day? are there discussions and stuff or is it music all day long or what?

One very annoying thing is the way they play the dance beat in the background during the news... they should drop that. Also when the guy is talking they always have a dance beat and it sounds gay imo. or at least they could make it a bit quieter so we can hear the news (no i'm not an OAP :))

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

All radio stations are the same.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Red FM is the newly licenced station for Cork City and County and is owned by a consortium led by Dublins FM104. The station is not affiliated in any way with 96FM (bar taking on some of their staff). 96FM made their own application for the licence but didnt get it. They were licenced early last year but as with all these projects it takes a while to go on the air. But not as long as Spin FM in Dublin (the Dublin yoof station) which was licenced in October 1999 but has yet to go on air.

Hope this helps,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

They had a big enough launch party. Theres advertisments all over the city boy, you not seen them ? Theres TV spots too.

They hired some of 96 f phlegms newspeople.

Charlie Wolfe from the breakfast show on Atlantic 252 from years back is working there now too. Hope they do well, might make 96fm improve their quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

they have all the cr/\p on the phone boxes

i tuned in the other day but it didn't last long .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I've seen it advertised on sky1, thats all I know about it, well considering I dont live in Cork that might explain why thats all ive heard about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Living in Limerick City and have listened to Rde FM and it sounds pretty good too.

I have listened to Charlie wolfe and believe me there has been nothing like it in ireland before

Only thing is I wish the reception was better here as you kind of have to stick one leg out the door one out the window and stand on your head with the aeriel up your nose in order to get decent reception

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

A friend sent this on to me...
    If anyone is curious about RedFM's studio location well here it is on the attached picture:

RedFM are on the upper floor of No1 University Technology Park, Curraheen Road, Cork. One of the 4 similar buildings making up the centre, plenty of parking space)

Advertisement