Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on IDE channels

• 05-10-2000 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

I have a 7200rpm hard drive on the first IDE channel and a 5400rpm hard drive on the second IDE channel. If I'm ONLY accessing data on the first IDE channel, what speed am I accessing at? 7200 or 5400?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I think you're mixing it up a little. 7200/5400 defines the spindle speed of the drive itself. A higher spindle speed = (usually, depends on drive quality) Higher data transfer and lower seek times.
    This is then all transferred to the HDD's buffer.
    It's only after this the actual IDE channels come into play.
    So your spindle speed is not controlled in anyway by the IDE channel, it's down to the drive itself.

The overall transfer speed from platter to the CPU/Ram would be affected by the IDE channel, it's bandwidth and how many devices are clogging it and the PCI bus at any one time - but it's just one factor in the pipeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I'm running pretty much the same setup as you koloth, there is a slight but noticeable difference between the access times on each drive.

Advertisement