Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Murphy (HP Ireland) slags off Gov on Broadband

Options
  • 17-01-2002 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I don't have a link for this yet, but I was reading in the Business section of the Independant that HP's boss man (Martin Murphy) in Ireland was slagging off the Irish Gov regarding their lack of investment in the broadband infrastructure.

Nothing new.. except it's another potential speaker at any events we may organise.

c0y0te

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

AH .. more chickens coming home to roost for the government (aka. the rather large amount of IT ignorance and indifference shown amongst politicians)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

"The head of HP ... has called on the Government to directly fund Ireland's broadband infrastructure in order to secure the country's competitive position as a digital society".

The globalization rating that I pointed to earlier where Ireland came out on top made no reference to broadband in assessing a country's technological status. It referred to internet users and ISPs. Providing broadband, by subsidy or otherwise, is not going to change our appaling score in these areas because people still won't want it. It's a luxury. Any subsidy to provide broadband would be foolish. If you want it, pay the price necessary to get it. IrelandOffline campaigning for broadband is like saying "let them eat cake".

Domestic broadband is widely available in the UK. This is largely thanks to the efforts of CUT. They campaigned for unmetered internet access, won it and disbanded. IrelandOffline should do the same. The rest will follow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

"The head of HP ... has called on the Government to directly fund Ireland's broadband infrastructure in order to secure the country's competitive position as a digital society".

This only really clicked with me recently, and I think it's an important point that people should realise, and should discuss:

The Irish Government is currently subsidising the rollout of broadband services in Ireland, through the National Development Plan. Esat's Local Loop Unbundling program is partially driven by investment by the government, which is paying one third of the cost of rolling out DSL services. Unfortunately, due to a protracted silence from Esat, we have no idea what those services will be; if they'll be competive; or even if they'll be made available to the majority of IrelandOffline users. But the fact remains that the government is investing. It's important to be fair and even-handed with all parties involved. Discuss. :)

Domestic broadband is widely available in the UK. This is largely thanks to the efforts of CUT. They campaigned for unmetered internet access, won it and disbanded. IrelandOffline should do the same. The rest will follow.

Indeed. We are. :)

adam

Advertisement