Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home network problem

Options
  • 17-01-2002 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

I have a little (though irritating) problem with my home network, and I hope someone here can throw a little light on it.
    My PDC is running win2k server, DHCP enabled with a scope of 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.99. I also have a game server that is running win2k server, DHCP enabled with a scope of 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.254. Both servers use subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The PDC is also running WinGate proxy server / firewall with DHCP and and DNS disabled.
    My problem is that if I explore my network neighbourhood from either the game server or from my workstation, all I can see is that machine and the PDC. If I go to the PDC and explore my network neighbourhood, I can see everything. I cannot get my workstation to see the game server, though I can ping it and I can map drives on it

Any ideas ??

BTW I'm sure I left some crucial info out, so if you want more, just ask

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

not sure but I think u want to turn of the DHCP on your game server and let it get its ip address from PDC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

I tried that before and it made no difference - thnx anyway.

I really want DHCP enabled on the gameserver because I want to be able to pick it up and bring it to lan parties with the minimum of fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Setup WINS on the PDC and configure the DHCP scope to use it. Then disable DHCP on the game server.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

This program will show you who is the browsemaster. Also check to make sure that in TCP/IP settings on all the machines have netbios over tcp/ip enabled as this is required for a browse list to come up. Installing wins may also solve this problem. Having 2 dhcp servers should not cause any problems as long as they give out different address ranges. Also make sure that Netbui is not installed and that if you have IPX that it is not bound to the microsoft file and printer sharing or the microsoft client. This will not effect IPX's operation in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Cheers bricks, YOU DA' MAN...........

Works a treat now

• Advertisement
Advertisement