Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI 32MB DDR or Geforce 2?

• 17-01-2002 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Rite i'm upgrading my video card cause i have an Athlon 1300 and 512 Ram but only a TNT2. I don't have much money to spend and with this mind i've been looking round. So far i've found a Radeon 32 Mb DDR for 110 euro and an GF2 MX for a bit more. Now i've looked at reviews of both and i've noticed a few things in every review i've looked at. The MX is an underpeformer while the Radeon is beating the GF2 MX and GTS in both that 3d Benchmark thing and a selection of Games including Quake 3. It is only beaten by the GF2 Ultra and GF3 which is to be expected since they are over double the price of radeon. Now with these are all point to the radeon except for one thing. People in IRC and basically every1 i have talked to are saying that i shouldn't buy it because its ****. Basically i'm wondering is it really **** or is every 1 just being conservative **** not willing to achknowladge that nething could compete with Nvidia.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

I dont think ya can knock the mx400 for its price,real cheap on sme uk site,mate of mine is running a p111 1000mhz and gets a constant 100 fps.

suppose there are always exceptions! well if ya say the radeon does well in benchmark prog(which one)? wot setup was it with ,and at that price then i wud go for it,are ya gettin it online or in ireland?

lookin for a cheap card myself

some nice geforce 2 ti 64mb at dabs.com

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I too have heard these people say that the Radeon is sh!t compared to Geforce 2.
    However, I suspect that the people that make these comments have probably never seen the performance of a Radeon.
    I have also heard that the Radeon does not have the same level of support as Nvidia cards, but is OpenGL and Direct3D not all the support one needs ?

I own a Radeon 64 DDR and in my opinion it is a better card than the Geforce 2.
    And yes, I do have something to compare it to.
    I built a PC for my brother with a very similar spec. to my own and as far as I can see the Radeon in my PC outperforms his Geforce 2 GTS in the real world (when he brings his machine to my house I can compare the two PCs side by side).
    Image quality looks better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭dragonkin

I saw a Kyro II review on anandtech.com recently it looks very good for the price as it was beating the Radeon well in some things but was let down in other places... (I forget which ones exactly.. must look) making it a hard decision as I was considering getting one. Cos I'm broke. Anyone have any experience with this chipset?

DK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

All i know is that when Tribes 2 came out the ONLY card it would work with was an nVidia based one. Mind you that game had more bugs than a swamp so isnt a good example, but you get the idea. Plus, can you overclock the ATI cards? cos the GF2 and 3's are very OC'able

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

http://gamespot.com/gshw/filters/products/benchmarks/0,12841,367468,00.html

Thats the page wit all the benchmarks. They look pretty conclusive to be honest. The only driver problem is supposed to be with Win2000 and since i'm Win Me that doesn't really bother me. I've found the card on peats as well for under £100 quid so i think i'm gonna go with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement