Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

net backbone over cat 5 cable

• 18-01-2002 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

what is the opperational distance of cat 5 cable the gigabit version?could the esb use this cable to connect households to there new backbone [ the cable would only run 5 or 10km] or would it be possible to use this over longer distances instead of fiber?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by irishguy
    what is the opperational distance of cat 5 cable the gigabit version?could the esb use this cable to connect households to there new backbone [ the cable would only run 5 or 10km] or would it be possible to use this over longer distances instead of fiber?

I don't know what the capabilities of CAT 5 / 6 are, but I suspect under 100 metres. However, seeing as you are running the cables on pylons / wires (in practice the only alrternative local loop) along with high voltage power lines there would be excessive interference and the risk of shorting out.

As I understand it most of the ESB infrastructure is fibre optic and microwave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

dam taught i had a good idea there a well back to the drawing board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So it seems that you could do it up to 5km (depending on cost), but you would need it in a separate conduit / duct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

which adds to the cost of setting it up :(

In fairness the fibre optic solution loos good as its capacity can be upgraded as time goes on (As I understand it).
    If there was one 'breakout box' in each major area of focus it could be workable to link them up using shielded CAT5e.

{aside} btw, what's cat6 rated for? {/aside}

• Advertisement
Advertisement