Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news for Chorus' Powernet in Cork

Options
  • 18-01-2002 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Cork will remain in dark ages for the foreseeable future with regard to broadband. I contacted Powernet regularly every couple of month for the last year with regard to their progress in the provision of cable internet services. Various anytime soon now messages duly arrived until, on my latest quey this message arrived (at least someone who writes coherently which cannot be said for previous correspondence)

Thank you for your queries. Apologies for what must feel like a wild goose
    chase. The news for PowerNet in Cork is not good. Due to many issues
    beyond our control, we now have suspended the release for Cork, despite the
    obvious market for the service, to both Business and Residential.

I hesitate to give you a timeframe, only to say that building a base station
    for Business PowerNet in Cork and Dublin are still our two main priorities
    and we await news from our suppliers in the USA to determine when this can
    happen.

If you would like to send me your contact details, I will send you further
    updates and information as it becomes available.

Regards,

Sarah

Waaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I hesitate to give you a timeframe, only to say that building a base station for Business PowerNet in Cork and Dublin are still our two main priorities and we await news from our suppliers in the USA to determine when this can happen.

Horse putty. Chorus have been supplying WLL leased lines in Cork for at least a year now. "Business Powernet" my mickey.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Give the CorkWAN their license. Feckers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Just informing you's, but I got an email from chorus 3 days ago saying that they were hoping to launch in dublin in Q2 of this year. Then again, they said that last year, and the year before if my memory is correct
    This is what they said:
    Thank you for your query. Powernet is currently available in Limerick and will hopefully be available to Dublin users in Q2 2002. Delays are due to late availability of product from USA to build the new base station and we hope that there will be no more delays to push the timeframe on further

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Just FYI, this was posted on the CorkWAN mailing list a while ago:

[Names have been removed to protect the innocent.]
    FYI (as I understand the situation to be)

I have it on good authority from a senior executive in Chorus (Dublin) that residential broadband will be available in Cork beginning Spetember 2002. This information was provided following a referral of a formal complaint I made about their failure to deliver said service thus far. I've been offered an interim solution that is to my satisfaction. Part of the settlement is that my complaint is merely on hold until September 2002 after which I can re-activate it if roll-out doesn't commence...

Unless some drastic U-turn has taken place in the past 3 weeks then this is the situation with Chorus residential broadband. I would be very keen to learn if there has been a change of policy (that can be verified) as I'll need to re-activate my complaint ;o)

For what its worth I was very satisfied with the manner in which Chorus dealt with me - a first in the history of the company I hear you ask... maybe ;o)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I have had a complaint against chorus over a refusal to connect me here in Limerick. I hope this hasn't caused them to delay rollout in cork while they review their policies.

Do Chorus plan to offer residential customers the service where it is half the speed they offered in limerick and twice the price

• Advertisement
Advertisement