Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux box behind proxy ...

• 06-10-2000 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry to be posting what will probably turn out to be a really stupid question, but I've tried to solve it myself, I really have.

I'm messing about with RH6.2 at home, and I want to use my 98 machine (running wingate) as a proxy for Netscape so I can surf the web on Linux. A mac is already using the 98 machine as a proxy successfully.

However, if I go into Netscape > Preferences > Proxy and set up netscape to use the 10.100.1.1 machine as its proxy, it don't work. Won't do DNS lookups or anything.

The RH box is aware that it should use the proxy for DNS lookups (via linuxconf), and pings between the two boxes (and the mac) work fine. RH has the IP address 10.100.1.3, same subnet as the proxy and has the proxy as its default gateway.

The only thing I can think of that I should *maybe* do is set up a static route on the linux box: I'd do something like

route add -p 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 10.100.1.1

in windows to achieve what I think is necessary, but what do I do in Linux? Anybody got any links to any HOWTOS?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

i dont know about wingate but if you use win98se internet connection sharing you can set up the ip of the forwarding machine (win98se) as your gateway in linux, and the ip of your isp's nameserver as your nameserver on the linux machine (because win98 internet connection sharing doesnt run a nameserver), it should work fine.
    another option would be to actually run a nameserver on the forwarding machine as well, but i dont know how to do that in win98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

re the dns
    you could run a dns/bind server on the winbox

MiCr0

ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/contrib/ntbind/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Dont bother running a dns on the winbox
    if you have the internet working then all dns requests will go through that box to your isps dns server like normal and be answered correctly. Just wasrting you time to set your own up (madness)
    Do like sam said. Tell the linux box that the win box is its gateway. linuxconf or the rh gnome/kde network config tool will do it for you easily. Or you can mess around with the config files in the /etc/net directory. (I forget the exact names, each different distro calls them something else).
    As for the statis route. If you can ping then your routing is working perfectly. No need. But if you feel you must then
    ----one line---

/sbin/route add default netmask 0.0.0.0 gw windows.machine.ip

---- above should be on one line
    will work
    that even tells it to use your windows machine as the gateway.
    (oh yeah. use linuxconf or whatever to tell it your isps dns server ip (IP NOT NAME). you can get this from any of those config files you download from a free isp. edit it instead of doubleclicking on it. or ring them up and ask them. Though i've tried that myself, and your man didnt know what a dns was.)

Sorted ;0
    quozl
    Or the other option is. Pick me up from donnybrook. drive me to your gaff. I'll sort it. give me 20 quid. and drive me back wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Right, everything's now fine, for everyone's future reference and viewing pleasure - thanks for the tips, as well.

I did the following changes, and everything now seems to be all right.

1. Put in two of Esat Net's DNS servers in on the Linux box (192.111.39.1 and .2)
    2. Doublechecked settings in netscape.
    3. Put in the default route to other networks in Linuxconf
    4. (and I think that this is the big one) enabled routing in Linuxconf. I have no idea why it was disabled, and it wasn't me what done it. Must have been red hat.

And now everything works.

Thanks for the suggestions; I'm now going to set up Reflection X and Samba smile.gif. I should be fine with those, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Oh, and particular thanks for offering to go hands-on, Quozl - I'd have a bit of a drive from Waterford, tho'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement