Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a new toy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Looks cool. How much did it damage your Euro account ?

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Need to check. *snip* and the delivery from the UK was a day. But it's a developers PDA so it's not a gold release of the OS and it only has 32MB instead of 64MB (which the commercial version will have).

I'll give you a better review when I have it fully charged.

Supports J2ME so should be able to tinker ok.

The price is £349.99 (€570.38, IE£449.21) and there was a delivery charge but the delivery was very fast.

Oh yea, the site is here.

http://www.sharp.co.uk/pda/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Damn you old people and your money making job things!!!!!!:mad:
    /me drools on Hobbes's PDA :cool:

1. It's very light at least compared to other PDA's I have/used.

2. The battery power seems bad, but then I realise I'm running the backlight on full power nonstop and I was doing other stuff. Until I get it to normal use I'll let you know.

But the batteries while using non-stop lasted around 6 hours (permantly on and not charging).

It charges by plugging in a charger, or you can plug the charger into the cradle and charge it from there.

3. The cradle has what looks like an IR port (as does the SL5000) and it looks like you can link up another cradle into the back of it to hook two together.

4. Screen and keyboard is nice, and you can get away from using the stylus if you know what all the keys do.

Writing is the same as a Pocket PC and can be configured to single Alpha area (like palm). Writing displays a list of possible words to autofill.

It also has on screen keyboard, a pickboard (which I don't like) and select a character in unicode listing.

5. Usual stuff you would get on a PDA, opera browser. Also has a console! :D works great too.

Can be reset by either in the menu systems or by flipping the battery switch at the back.

6. I slapped the 15MB compact flash from my Kodak digital camera and it read the file structure fine and displayed the pictures on the screen (even though the pictures are x5 the size of the onboard memory).

7. Sync'ing

Here in lies the problem. :( I can't get it to work. I installed everything but it doesn't seem to want to sync (even though the PDA seems to acknowledge a connection).

Might be because it's a developers model (and the documentation is flaky). I'll let you know when I get it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I'm not jealous
    And I don't resent you Hobbes
    I just thought you should know that.

• Advertisement

I got the syncing working (on another machine). My machine is probably got junk on it.

Works fine and uses some kind of Palm Desktop (or clone). It also has conduits to Palm Desktop itself and Outlook. I couldn't get the easysnyc to work (notes) probably because I don't have Palm desktop on this machine.

Btw, I checked the developers forums and you can get Quake for it too. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Quake ...

WTF, cool!

Advertisement