Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Dell PC problem.

• 18-01-2002 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Hows it goin'

I have an old dell PC from work which they where kind enough to give me. It is a low spec PIII model. Optiplex GX1 model I think.

The problem is that when ever i am loading the pc this comes up on the screen

Alert The cover was previously removed

(or something similar-not 100% about this)

Simply-how do i remove this "Alert", as it wouldn't look good if i where to sell it.

Thanks in advance,
    Bull

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

well i just bought what sounds like the same model with that alert on it and seen no problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Its a DMI function, it alerts a administrator when the case has been opened.

You can probably disable it in the CMOS setup. But as its a business PC thats more than likely got a password in place.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

thanks for the speedy reply.

though I know that it is purely cosmetic- it may take a few quid off the price as the system was obviouly tampered with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's 2 ways: - 1 is to go into the BIOS settings and root around there, where there should be some setting to do with enabling or disabling that. But that doesn't always work in my experience. To get rid of it permanently.....remove the cover and look around the edges of the internal case for a button-like yokie that would be pressed down when the cover is on. Follow the wire going from that, which is plugged into the motherboard, and disconnect it.

It's connected to a jumper which I'm not sure registers if the jumper is on or off, so mess around with turning the jumper on/off (with a piece of wire, or preferably a real jumper) until the msg goes away. Hey presto. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    thanks for the speedy reply.

though I know that it is purely cosmetic- it may take a few quid off the price as the system was obviouly tampered with.

All it means is the case was opened. If you installed more memory etc it would still fire up this message.

The idea of this alert is to stop people removing parts from their systems in work. I know that this happened quite a bit in Tech Support when I worked in Gateway years ago. It was so bad that they installed close curcuit TV's to watch the Techies :)

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

from what I can remember, go into system security and disable the intrusion
    switch.

If not go to the Dell site and there is a patch for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

In the system bios change the chassis intrusion setting from detected to enabled. This will reset the intrusion detection and stop the message from appearing until the next time the chassis cover is removed. You can disable the message altogether if you like by setting the option to suprise suprise, disabled. The option is located at the bottom of the first bios screen.

SB...

Advertisement