Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie domain and hosting cheap... anywhere?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by rasher
    I would not call anyone Competent in Internet technology if they would prefer to use a Windows/iis/asp server over a Solaris/Apache/php server.
    OK, that has to be a troll... No one could be so dumb as to say that.

There are various reasons that one may use Windows/IIS/ASP over Solaris/Apache/PHP, depends on time, budget and requirements. Integration into an existing system that’s Windows based, or your available resources are only skilled up in ASP or it’s a requirement of the client’s to encapsulate business logic in COM (and I know that PHP has COM support).

The most recent site I finished was running on Linux/Apache/PHP, because it best suited the project requirements, but the same can be said for other past projects that were done on Windows/IIS/ASP or Solaris/iPlanet/Java. One size does not fit all.
    Originally posted by dahamsta
    Actually, I don't, and now you've piqued my curiousity. How could you have a clue about PHP 3 and not have a clue about PHP 4? The mind boggles.
    I was having a pint with the Technical Director of a firm a good while ago and asked him a question (AFAIR) about cURL in PHP. His response was that he didn’t know the answer because he was a ”Guru in PHP3 but not in PHP4” and hence didn’t use it. We’re talking about someone infamous for using the argument that he’s been developing for n years and thus knows more than everyone else... Hence why warning bells go off when I ever hear a similar utterance.
    Originally posted by Bard
    So it would be more "competent" of me to waste time re-training myself in a new system and ignore years of experience in the system which I'm used to? Don't be ridiculous.
    Training never ends. Every new language, every new technology opens up new options when designing and developing a system.

Is re-training yourself to develop XML, DTD or XSLT a waste of time? I’ll admit, when I first saw XML I thought ”wouldn’t it be easier to use CSV” (and in many cases it would), but I certainly don’t regret my having taught myself to develop for XML/DTD/XSL/Schemas, in the end.

Even keeping up to date with versions is important: dahamsta got one over on me in a thread on MySQL a while back, in part because I’d not kept up to date with the most recent releases. My information became dated and hence inaccurate.

The same goes for PHP – two years ago I would have coded a site in either ASP or Java. Having heard and read a lot of good things about PHP, I finally threw myself into learning it and now do a very substantial amount of my work in this language. Not a waste of time at all.

In short: Evolve or die.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I do agree that there's a lot wrong with the IEDR

Understatement Of The Month.

but I have come accross several customers in my line of work that have previously registered .com/.net but have decided to change to a .IE as they consider it a more "quality" domain (ie: you have to jump through hoops to get it!).

There is only one genuine reason, IMHO, to advise a client to register an IE domain name, and that is to give users the impression of "irishness". The IEDR has stated that the price of IE domain names is in part driven by the "hoops" - they would indeed refer to it as "quality" - but anyone with a basic knowledge of the system knows how to step around them. Therefore quality doesn't come into it.

On the cost side, .IE's will never get as cheap as .com's, but you have to recognise there are certain economies of scale at work with .com's the 25,000 odd .IE domains just can't acheive.

There are indeed, but even the wholesale price is scandalously overpriced. It should be at least half the current price, if not even less. The retail price should be controlled by registrars.

Maybe the goverment should subsidise the IEDR to encourage more businesses to register .IE's?

Absolutely not. There's a lot of actions the government should take - and can take, since it is provided for in the Ecommerce Act - but subsidising IE is certainly not one of them. Perhaps they should investigate the costs involved in IE, since I very much doubt the current prices are cost-oriented. But the best solution would be to mandate separation of the registry and the registrar. And I'm not talking about an Eircom Plc/Eircom Net split either, I'm talking about the dissolution of one or the other.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by misterq

I do agree that there's a lot wrong with the IEDR, but I have come accross several customers in my line of work that have previously registered .com/.net but have decided to change to a .IE as they consider it a more "quality" domain (ie: you have to jump through hoops to get it!).

The real reason was probably that they missed the whole .com boom and they found that the obvious variation of their company or business name was gone. Therefore they went for a .ie domain. The 'quality' aspect of the .ie was a marketing myth pushed by IEDR. However when these characters allocated 70 generics to one customer when the Generic rule was still in effect, the whole IEDR was discredited. It later allocated over 300 generic medical terms as domains while the Generic rule was still in effect. Now if you think that these characters have the best interest of the .ie tld in mind, you are dealing with a different IEDR.

On the cost side, .IE's will never get as cheap as .com's, but you have to recognise there are certain economies of scale at work with .com's the 25,000 odd .IE domains just can't acheive.

The real reason that the .ie domains are not as cheap as the CNO domains is because IEDR is a waste of money. They seem to be intent on creating jobs for themselves. Stripping IEDR of registrar status is required. Shifting of the onus of entitlement to the registrar and reducing IEDR to running the root server only is perhaps the only way that the .ie will regain any credibility.

Maybe the goverment should subsidise the IEDR to encourage more businesses to register .IE's?

No fscking way. :) These guys are a waste of name space and their past record of 'affiliate marketing' and listening to the internet business does shows that it is just a toy registry that just doesn't get the net.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I slagged off the IEDR once :)

The big bad people there dont take conversation with them as the subject too well :)

Be careful what you say or they will issue an empty, groundless threat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

As far as I know the Irish Registrations were originally done in Trinity, to start with, now they are done by a private company, so you'd hope they could offer something better now - but you have to either show documentation of a registered company or no go.

Unless it's your own name!! I doubt this will ever change!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

As far as I know the Irish Registrations were originally done in Trinity
    UCD actually-
    It was run by UCD Computer Services up until about 1998 I think, then it became the IEDR

BYW, Its not that difficult to get a ".ie" anymore- They do now openly accept criteria outisde being a "natural" person or "incorporated company" / partnership / sole trader .
    Its actually the absurd prices they charge that ppl are complaining about:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Thx 4 that info - did not know this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting thread, when I got my domiane name I looked at the vaious prices and saw instantly was would be a fool to fork out
    for a geographicaly specific name that cost so much hence the .net in my name, which costs me about €15 pa.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Originally posted by Bard

...and how much do you charge for a .ie domain?
    ...and how many domains can I point at the one (FREE!!!) site?
    ...and what server uptime guarantees do you give?
    ...and where is this server physically located?
    ...and what platform does your server run?
    ...and what extensions and scripting languages are available?
    ...and what kind of backup & support system have you in place should things go wrong?
    ...and what is the name of your company?
    ...and what speed is your servers connection to the Internet?

Bard: "and how much is this free weekend ?" *

*joke I couldn't resist ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hi all,

Just in response to the thread, and the post of MarcusGarvey in particular, 365 Hosting Ltd. is a new company, set up by myself at Christmas after I was locked out of Novara - the business I formed three years ago (initially as IWDhosting.com).

The full details are irrelevant, however, mailshots were sent out informing Novara customers of the changes by Eoin Costello before Christmas, to which I simply replied.

All emails I sent had full un-subscribe details at the bottom of the email, and the mailing list system in use requires confirmation of un-subscription from the members address. Apologies if this caused any inconvenience.

Hosting365.ie is an Irish Hosting Comapny, we have invested heavily in the ladt two months on top quality hardware and infrastructure to provide a quality service to Irish Customers.

We provide Linux and Windows 2000 Hosting at among the lowest rates in Ireland, we run all our servers from Dublin, Ireland and own all our own equipment, we are the lowest cost domain reg. provider in Ireland (at register365.ie) and we provide full, FreePhone Technical support and friendly service.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience, upset, or hassle caused by the events of the last few months, over most of which I had no control, and my assurances that hosting365.ie takes pride in the service we provide and are a 'real' hosting company, offering a real alternative to US and UK hosting.

Best regards,
    Stephen Mc Carron
    www.hosting365.ie

ps: We also provide cost-price hosting for schools/students (and have done for almost three years) at www.scoileanna.com

• Advertisement

Great to see a response from the top on this Stephen, well done.

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've opened up a new thread for hosting comparison at:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=359576#post359576

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Originally posted by steve-hosting36

The full details are irrelevant, however, mailshots were sent out informing Novara customers of the changes by Eoin Costello before Christmas, to which I simply replied.

Thats untrue. I got a few mailshots that had nothing to do with your Novara situation. It was simply a spam with your prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IRL

I think you'll find everything you need here:

http://www.EasyDomainNames.com

Bye for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by DeVore
    I've opened up a new thread for hosting comparison at:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=359576#post359576

DeV.

UNNFF! This is the bit were i make wit da sticky!

UNNFF! This is the bit were i make wit da sticky!

That's disgusting! Just make sure you clean up after you.

amp test?

adam

Advertisement