Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinister Pete's Adventures In Canadia

Options
  • 18-01-2002 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hello all. Tis I, the Sinister One on my holidays in Canada. Been having a fine time so far. Yesterday we went to the fabulous Science Centre:

www.ontariosciencecentre.ca

where we saw lots of great science stuff. Right now we are on our way to Ottawa where I worked in radio for about two years before coming to Ireland.

Hope everyone is doing fine and I shall drop in again soon. Gotta run or I'll miss my train!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Manufractured Individual

Wish I was in Canada...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I lub you pete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭KevDaEdbanger

Dose this mean It will only be "A Pete talks Rubish" this week???;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Paul Clarke will probably be called in, will he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Alright Sinister One :-)

Glad everything is going well over there. Don't forget my present (has to be ultra tacky!) and always remember to enjoy science! We await full reports on your return. Hope youre having a Bl-bl-blast as the man says!

Kev, it may well be the one pete talks to himself this week. Depends on who I can drag in for tomorrow night! We will however have our first lesson in Cockney Rhyming Slang courtesy of the Guitarist from Chas N Dave and coming soon with Paul Clarke (probably next week) is the fabulous "Quest-For-Cake".

Save travelling Petey, talk to you soon.

Pete Reed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

Canada and the man they call PETE THE GREAT.

It's the edginess between Canada's indigenous people, the French and offcourse Sinister Pete that gives the nation its complex three-dimensional character. Add to this a constant infusion of excellent indie music culture (thanks to Pete) and a plethora of music brought from Europe, Asia and Latin America by migrants, and you have a thriving multicultural society very much in the process of forming its own identity. Those expecting Petes homeland to be a blander counterpart of the USA should check their preconceptions at the door - Canada's wild northern frontier, which has etched itself into the national psyche, and its distinct patchwork of music lovers (like the great Pete) have created a country that is decidedly different from its southern neighbor.

Well before Columbus 'discovered' America in 1492, prehistoric tribes from Asia had come across the Bering Strait; and around AD 1000, the Vikings, Pete's earliest ancestors, settled in northern Newfoundland. Canada's Indian tribes had already developed a multitude of languages, customs, religious beliefs, trading patterns and laws and governments. But there had previously been know knowledge of decent music! Petes ancient ancestors were to change all that, and finaly in 1508 it was declared that Indie radio was to be invented so as to bring decent music to a land that was to become the birthplace of the great PETE.

A French explorer and inventor of odd things, Samuel de Champlain, founded Quebec City in the early 1600s. In 1663 Canada, now home to about 3000 French settlers, became a province of France. Just as the Samuel sat down with the Vikings (Petes ancestors) to begin inventing Indie radio , the British entered the scene, founding the Hudson's Bay Company in 1670 to add a bit of 'friendly' competition. For a while, the two European cultures coexisted peacefully although their tastes in music were radically different.The Brits liked all sorts of crap and two dimensional ****e that would never 'kick it' with the Vikings and the french. Then, in 1745, British troops, ancient ancestors of Pete Waterman, captured some of the plans Samuel and co. had drafted for the invention of Indie radio - the struggle for control of the airwaves was on. The turning point in what became known as the Seven Years' Radio War arrived when the British defeated the French at Quebec City in 1759. At the Treaty of Paris in 1763, France gave the final plans for Indie radio over to the ****in Brits.

Hundres of years later, however. The Brits (now pretty Canadian but still having a ****e taste in music) still had not managed to invent the Indie Radio. Finally thinking the plans were a hoax, they returned them to Petes great great grandfather. The plans were hidden and never again to be found.........until....

In the years after WWII, Canada experienced a huge wave of European immigration, with a further influx of Asians, Arabs, Indians, Italians, Hispanics and Caribbeans arriving in the 1960s. The postwar era was a period of economic expansion and prosperity. Everyone was just gettin high and having a good time. In 1967 Canada celebrated its 100th anniversary with Expo, the World's Fair in Montreal, as one of the highlights. It was in this era that an amazing thing happenned.

A bright star hung over Ottawa and a deep, loud voice spoke from the heavens. Thousands of tripped out hippies were chillin under the warm mid-summer night sky and all at once bore wittness to the telling of a prophecy. The deep echoing voice told that someone in canada was to give birth to the saviour of music. A young man that would fight to have decent music heard. His weapon would be Indie radio and the plans were hidden under a tree. A tree that is to mark the spot of where the great one will first command the airwaves and bring real music to the ears of thousands. The Canadian hippies, shocked at what they had heard, all 'came down' and focused their efforts for three years. When the drugs wore off and they finnally realised what they were doing, it was built! INDIE RADIO!!! They somehow had cracked it! It was ready!! now they just had to wait for the chosen one.
    And so the story begins, the story of the great Sinister Pete! His life was to change all of ours.

I'll let Pete tell us the rest.....

PETE?

we're waiting.....

PETE??

Pray and he will come.......

PETE????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Pete, Gosh darn it I know I don't get to see ya much these days but i thought i had you well trained enough to know that when you're travelling through the airport CALL ME! :)

(you know who this is.... ... ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

Hi all,

Jaysus you have no idea how difficult it is to find an internet cafe round here! So apologies for the lack of communication.

Firstly...

Hello Bluehair! Didn't realise you still had pull in that area. Will make sure to take advantage of it in the future. I'll give you a shout when I'm back.

Back To Front:

Man you know your stuff! But you failed to mention the Great Bird Spirit which also is in charge of radios and vending machines.

Mr. Treed!
    Rest assured I'll get you something suitably tacky with five new ingredients. The science museum was great as ever but they took away the machine that says "coffee". (Only people from Toronto will understand the significance of this). They had a brilliant display on cloning which I spent some time in. Trouble is I kept seeing myself walking around afterwards.

And now the news:

So we went to Ottawa the fabulous capital of Canada!! And it's snowing!! And Snowing! And Snowing! I loved it but my travelling companion was feezing after walking two blocks so we had to by her some new boots. So it's off to the famous Byward market!!

http://www.byward-market.com/

And yes the boot and hat shop run by these mad guys is still there! I got a new hat and she got news boots, socks and gloves. Now that we're all warm and toasty it's time to laugh at... er... explore the exciting world of modern art at the National Gallery.

http://national.gallery.ca/

It's big. It's beautiful. It's warm! It's full of naked women!!! The painted variety anyway.

Back to the market we have delicious Vietnamese food and a few pints. Next its time for a little nightlife at one of my old haunts Zapod Beeblebrox.

http://www.zaphodbeeblebrox.com/

Who should happen to be playing but an old friend of mine, Brian and who should be in the audience but another old friend Mike. Several rounds later we fell out of the place and did another typically Canadian tradition. Ate Poutine!

What the hell is poutine!

We then staggered home imitating Podge and Rodge for twenty minutes...

"Are you making the tea?"

"No"

etc.

In the morning woke up with not the worst hangover ever, looked around and uttered these words exactly:

Wait a minute. Where's me jumper?

Left it in Zaphods. Bugger that. Got it back the next day. Whew.

Right that's enough for now. Will drop in again in the next couple of days for more updates. See ya!!!

Love
    Sinister

(that's an order)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

we love thee great pete of canadia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Engor

Is that Poutine stuff nice? It sounds...interesting...Hmmm....I might make it some day I'm ultra bored, but only if it's nice...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

not being in canada actually sucks... can you find a sponsor to invite us all over? *WISTFUL SIGH*

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

Advertisement