Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial Back Modem

Options
  • 18-01-2002 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Wish to know how to set up a dialback modem system.

The idea is I ring a number at work, the line is connected to a modem in a computer on the network. It disconnects me and rings me back and connects me to the network. I have the permission of work to do it by the way. :D

Do I need Win2K server for this or will it work on win98/win2k.

I'm only looking for solutions using the Windows platform.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

when ure setting up a user account in NT/2k server theres a section to allow dialin access. You can set it to call back a designated number and then it'll connect u.

You may need NT Pro/2k Pro on your side to do this as when ure logging on you have the option of logging on using a dialup connection (which Im guessing you'd have to create first)

So.. it can be done, I've done it before so if I can do it.... etc...

The line u ring will have to be connected to a Domain Controller tho, assuming uve got a domain setup, otherwise it probably wont work at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

This will work with NT client and Win2k Pro. You will also be able to dial in with Win98, however I don't know if dial-back will work.

The machine you are dialing into does not have to be a Domain controller as such, but it does need to have a user account that you can use on it. ( and run win2k or NT server) It is handiest to run a DHCP server on the machine you are dialing into along with a Wins server. This will allow you to brose the local lan easily via network neighbourhood.

Without the DHCP and WINS server you will still be able to access the network, just you will have to know the IP's of the machine you wish to access.

You might also need to enable IP forwarding on the machine you are dialing into.. I had a few problems with one machine and when I enabled IP forwarding it worked, even though there is an option in the RAS configuration ofwhat sort of access you want the dial in machine to have.

Gav

have a look at www.ntfaq.com for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Nice one thanks. I'll start playing with NT server.

That NT Faq site is great.

Advertisement