Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some help needed

Options
  • 19-01-2002 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from my complaint to the ODTR regarding chorus' refusal to connect me to their powernet service a few months ago I have since pointed out that clause in the Local loop licence which I was directed to by a member of the forum.

Firstly I would like to express my gratitude to he person who pointed me in the direction of Clause 28.1 of the Local loop licence.

Remember when the ODTR started the investigation into my complaint, Chorus told them that they were not offering powernet at this time.

Fair enough they stopped offering the 512KBPs 3 GB limit etc for £40 a month at the end of december. But they seem to be finding it difficult to grasp the fact that I applied before this was discontinued and that their refusal to sell me the service was a violation of clause 28.1 of their wireless Local loop licence.

When pointed in the direction of this clause of their licence they offered me a service of 250Kbps for 80 pounds a month which I think is the service they want to sell from january 2002

Here is where I need the help

Chorus are telling me that I was not entitled to the £40 a month offer because it is not being offered at this time but I know for certain that people applied and were given the £40 offer after my application was rejected.

To make it worse after I pointed out the part of the Licence which interested me people here in limerick were still getting connected to the £40 deal in January.

The ODTR have asked me for any proof that people were being connected to the powernet 512KBPS / £40 offer between the time I first complained to them and now. My first complaint being made in November.

So if there is anyone out there who wishes to submit their details either to me or to the person in the ODTR whom I am dealing with I would much appreciate it.

If you wish to submit them to me I can forward them on in one e-mail to the odtr my email address is franciscdunne@eircom.net

Paul Brennan is the name of the person I am dealing with in the ODTR you can telephone him at the ODTR office. I would not feel comfortable putting his e-mail address on the board without his permission so calling him or emailing me will have to do.

If you do contact him directly please tell him that Francis Dunne asked you to contact him with your details.

The only ones who need to read this are anyone who applied to get powernet in December. and especiallyu anyone who was connected in January.

I have some names but I want to get as many as possible to prove that they didnt refuse me because the offer was over.

Much appreciated

Francis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Oh and just for the record

I have never been a chorus customer before which means that there is no possibility that I owe them any money.

If they refused to connect me because I owed them money then I could understand that but that is not the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Did you say in a previous thread that Chorus threatened you about going to the ODTR? I would make a complaint about that. Whatever about accidentally or unknowingly providing bad service I think the ODTR would take a dim view of a provider threatening you with poor service if you made a complaint to the ODTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I have told them and also reminded them again yesterday of that incident.

If the oh so famous "Sarah" from chorus reads this let there be no doubt that I did apply for Powernet before December 31 and as they have been connecting people as late as Wednesday of this week there is no reason they cannot accomodate me

I was unaware of Clause 28.1 at the time I sent these to the ODTR so forgive the messages sounding uneducated.

Original Message
    To: "Paul Brennan" <Paul Brennan>
    Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 11:49 PM
    Subject: Re: Chorus erecting obstacles for potential Powernet users

> Dear Sir
    >
    > Unfortunately I became the victim of a computer virus and all the mail in my
    > "sent" folder was deleted, however I will summarise it for you
    >
    > I wish to have Chorus Powernet installed but Chorus refuse to do so because
    > My Landlord has Cable television hooked up to the premisis. It was one of
    > the "mod Cons" being offered to potential tennants which is included in the
    > rent.
    >
    > Chorus say that they have a policy that states that if there is one person
    > at my address (the landlord who doesn't even live here) they cannot and
    > will not allow me to have a Chorus account for powernet on its own.
    >
    > I found this to be discriminating against people in rented accomodation,
    > well privately rented accomodation which is why I lodged a complaint with
    > yourselves.
    >
    > One more thing which I forgot to mention in the first complaint was that the
    > customer care person whom I was speaking to told me that in isx or twelve
    > months if Chorus decide to change their policy she would let me know.
    >
    > When I told her that I disagreed whith this policy and would be making a
    > complaint with the ODTR she told me that if I was going to take that
    > "atitude" that she would not bother to tell me if the policy was changed.
    >
    > That about sums it up.
    >
    > I look forward to hearing from you
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Francis Dunne

Original Message
    Sent: 28 November 2001 00:15
    To: Telecoms; Broadcast
    Subject: Chorus erecting obstacles for potential Powernet users

Dear Sir/Madam

Firstly as the company I wish to complain about deal with MMDS,
    deflector and telecommunications I thought I would send it to both
    addresses.

I have been living in private rented accomodation for the past four
    years. I have had a land line phone with eircom for eighteen months

When I had my phone installed there was already a phone in the house in
    the name of the land lord but eircom did not seem to have a problem with
    that and installed the phone.

But when I went to apply for Chorus PowerNet I was told that as the
    cable television account with chorus was in someone elses name I could
    not have power net installed.

The Cable television has been connected to the house and there are
    people living here who probably do use it but me personally I dont have
    a multichannel set top box in my room as I gave it back to the Landlord
    as I didnt use it.

If I want to get this powernet service I would have to get it added to
    the landlords bill, even though I would be paying 100 percent of the
    cost of the powernet, it would not be in my name and I could not
    guarantee that the landlord would pay it at the right time.

I would prefer if the power net service was in my name in a separate
    account and paid for through my bank account through direct debit but
    chorus are having none of it.

Like I said here I have been living at this address for four years two
    of those years I have been working at the same place earning a steady
    wage. Their claim that I might up and leave is somewhat insulting. I
    cant afford to make myself dissappear like they are fearing.

I feel that this is discriminating against those of us living in private
    rented accomodation and this is the grounds for my complaint.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for taking the time to
    read my e-mail.

Sincerely

Francis Dunne

Advertisement