Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old school gaming - 16bits or less

Options
  • 19-01-2002 4:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

What are your favourite games of old?

I'm talking amiga, comadore 64, atari ST,
    sega master system etc...
    Them was the days...
    Bruce Lee on C64.
    I remember my brother buying Desert Strike the day it came out :)

My all time favourite has to be amazing "Another World" by Delphine.

(if you havnt played it search google - its easy to download)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

What about going back a bit to the days of the spectrum :)
    Bashing those rubber keys to make Daley Thompson (what I thought look like legs) go faster :p ....if anyone remembers that one
    Man, Bruce Lee in C64 hehe that was gr8.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Proof that you are indeed King of the Mongs DBC, no mention of the ZX Spectrum?
    Anyway, my vote goes to Elite, it was pretty l33t

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

indeed - elite ruled all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

how there was a huge amount of time wasted back then :)
    the likes of ye are kung fu, renegade rocked, IK+, trans am, robocop, operation wolf, ,swiv, WIZBALL!!!!! wizball fúcking rocked! these were aon my little speccy.
    on the amstrad we had the captain blood, driller, IK+ three player, 1942, bioic commando, ikari warriors, gauntlet.
    on the amiga, bomb the bass and megablast! xenon 2!
    nitro, it came form the desert, settlers, oh god hte list is endless.

and dont forget that seminal favourite, jet set willy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Zelda 3, SMW, Flashback (sequel to Another World), anything Dizzy, atic atac, JSW, SMB3, Megaman 2, Mortal Kombat 2, Jurrassic Park, Secret of Mana,.... jesus, I could go on for an entire page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

IK+ on the amiga... 3 player 0wnage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Laser Squad on c64 rocked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Harrier attack on the amstrad was just about the only game i used to play. Had others but cant remember them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

terminator 2 for the C64
    remember allmost cryin over how great i thought the graphics were

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ya terminator2 was class on the C64 never passed it had a terminator joystick and it was a bit dodgy and so couldn't move properly and just passed the infermory bit with ur one...t;was also a cartage game which was cool i only had one, one of my friends had RoboCop3 and that was brillo too, didn't look as good tho but ya shot more stuff.

Any StreetFigher game cept no.1
    I got StreetFighter one on tape for C64 and it was CRAP! side scroller.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

the best game ever for mega drive was olmpyic games with the multiplayer. ****IN BEat those buttons to run faster, and all those weird things that happened when ya got different scores, the ultimate muli-player game, i miss it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Smash TV - Mega Drive

Need I say more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

What about these C64 classics:

Impossible Mission
    Spy vs Spy
    Beach Head
    Summer Games 2
    Staff of Karnath
    Entombed
    China Miner
    Rambo First Blood Part 2
    Commando
    Cauldron

and Super Sprint on the Atari ST. Myself and my cousins played this non-stop for about 2 weeks during the summer one year. Class stuff.

The list goes on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I wish i was old enough to know what the hell you are talking about! i vaguely remember my friend having a commodore but my first concole was nintendo. WAN hogans alley or that duck shooting game

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Microprose Soccer on the C64
    Commando on the 2600

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Apart from Atari's interpretation of Pacman on the 2600 (which people will remember I actually scored so high it reset to 0) I mostly played on an Amiga 500:

Speedball 2
    Supercars 2
    Gods
    Simcity
    Sensible Soccer
    Xenon 2 (SI TEH MEGARBLAST!!!!1)
    Oh and that Nitro game with the cars, it was like Supercars only the steering was different.
    The first two monkey islands (fecking 12 disks in the 2nd one)
    Thunderhawk (I think, some sort of 3d helicoptor game)
    Canon Fodder.
    Never played Elite at all but played a lot of Frontier (the sequel on the Amiga and then the PC) and I thought it was brilliant. Saving up to buy an Imperial Cruiser. Running around the galaxy doin stuff. X-gold just isn't the same (except it is :( )

Played a fair bit of Shadow of the Beast but only cos it was the only game I had for it for ages, and Days of Thunder but only cos I had the silly "fly around in the car cheat". Oh yeah! Indy 500, that was fun cos I got into the whole tweak the car to go faster thing. It's the only time I could be arsed getting into that apart from Gran Turismo.

The only time I actually won the race was when I manage to damage the rest of the computer cars enough so I was the last car running. Tough aul game.

Never really got into the snes or other consoles. Apart from the aul Jetpack on the Speccy. In fact I seem to have a problem playing games with out the comfort of a keyboard. The playstation 1 is the only console I've ever owned (other than a GB mostly played Zelda on that) and that was bought to play ridgeracer.

The first game I ever played on a PC was on some 286 piece of crap that managed to hack the hercules fontset to display (badly) horses running in a race. And the first "proper game" I played on a 386 was Flightsim, followed by Wolfenstein, Dukem Nukem (no 3d back then kids) and then the sheer joy of Doom.

IMO Doom brought proper gaming to the PC.

[end random stream of conciousness mode]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Did any of you write software for your C64?

I remember being addicted to
    - Way of the exploding fist (figher)
    - IK+ (fighter)
    - Dragon Slayer (platformer)
    - Double Dragon (1,2,3) (beat'em-up)
    - Last ninja (1,2,3)
    I also remember having Shadow of the Beast on cartridge for the unit.

On the amiga,
    - Shadow of the beast 1, 2;
    - Lemmings
    - Pushover
    - Moonstone
    - Street Fighter 2
    - Alien Breed
    Plenty more, but I can't seem to remember :(

.....Those were the days I will never forget *sniff* :)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by amp
    Never really got into the snes or other consoles.

Atari Jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I was going to buy an Atari Jaguar but everytime I went up to buy it I got a funny taste in my mouth.

Can't believe I forgot Lemmings and Alien Breed. And worms, and Project X and everything else Team 17 did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Spectrum 48k
    - Ant Attack (I think thats what it was called)
    - Manic Miner / JSW
    - wizball

Comodore 64
    - Zaxxon
    - Iridium
    - Impossible Mission
    - Spy vs Spy

Amstrad 464
    - Ikari Warriors

DOS
    - Scorched Earth

Didnt ever use much of Atari ST or Amiga, so I wont comment on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by bonkey
    DOS
    - Scorched Earth

Ah smashin!:D

I can't remember the names of a lot of them but some of the others I liked were:

Fatal Fury (MD)
    Sol Feace (Mega CD II)
    Desert Strike (MD)
    Flashback (MD... I think)
    Street Fighter II (SNES and now GBA ooooohhh I'm so happy:D )
    Dynamite Heady (MD)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

[cough]....emulation board...[/cough]

C64
    *Manic Miner
    *Beach Head 1+2
    *Impossible Mission 1+2
    *Daley Thompson
    *Thing On A Spring + Thing Bounces Back
    *Many others...

Amiga
    *Speedball 2
    *Lemmings 2: The Tribes
    *Gold Box Series of D&D games
    *IK+
    *Pushover
    *Moonstone
    *Last Ninja
    *Sensible Soccer
    *Cannon Fodder
    *Elite 2: Frontier
    *Flashback
    *Another World
    *Many others...

Cannon Fodder, IK+ and Speedball 2 would be my picks of the litter here.

Another world was too short...Flashback owned it severly

Couldn't be arsed listing all the console classics..except that Final Fantasy 3 (usa) owns all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Commodore 64:
    Racing Destruction Set
    Gribbly's day out
    Creatures
    Jet Pac
    Hero
    International Soccer (still the best game ever!) on cartridge
    Lazer squad
    Paradroid

BTW: Remember the magazine :Zzap64? I used to check the local newsagent twice a day for this magazine! For nostalgia, check it out on: http://www.zzap64.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Trev

Amiga:
    Kick-off / Player Manager
    Fantasy World Dizzy
    Treasure Island Dizzy

Spectrum:
    Paperboy
    Horace goes Skiing
    Horace and the spider

just some of the delights not mentioned above :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

elite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

8-bit Amstrad CPC!!

And yes, Elite beat em all.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Ah, the days when I bought games not expecting to complete them(although, that could be because I was like 3).
    I had me a nes with:
    Solstice
    Solar Jetman
    Smash TV
    Some Jackie Chan game
    Mario 1 & 3(I don't lioke 2)
    Zelda
    Duck Hunt
    and plenty others. They were great. I wished I hadn't sold it. *sniff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

C64
    Turrican 1-2
    rainbow islands
    bubble bobble
    Giana sisters
    Ghouls 'n' ghosts
    wonderboy
    ice palace
    ikari warriors

Amiga
    Frontier: Elite
    Hired Guns
    Sabre Team
    Cannon Fodder
    Dyna Blaster
    Alien Breed 1-2
    Sensible soccer

* All classics! i found most of the amiga stuff in a shoe box in the atic two monthes ago and the amiga's around somewhere. I'd plug it in but loading times might drive me insane
    ;)

Nintendo:
    Mario 1/3 (2 sucked monkey nutz)
    Zelda was quite elite.
    Dunt Hunt was a blast ;)

There was this other shooting one, but i cant remeber the name of it. It was one where you had to use the gun to kill these bandits in the wild west. Man that kept me entertained for hours on end. *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

I usually spent most of my time playing IK+, speedball, Leisuresuit Larry In The Land Of The Lounge Lizards, (all on the atari st) and there was one game where you drove along in a red car and your mission was to catch various people and you could stand up and shoot at them and the odd time you got a rocket launcher or summit from a helicopter. anyone know the name of it?? oh yeah and navy seals and hudson hawk too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the game you looking for is chase hq. does anyone remember carrier command? it was this cool 3d action stratagy game where u controlled an aircraft carrier but you could also hop into the planes and taks and fly and drive em. damn was it good(remade last year and released as hostile waters). how about powerdrome? and incredibly difficult futuristic racing game(wipeout was based on it). how about head over heels on the amstrad cpc464? i think its time to get monolithitic here, bump and jump on the atari 2600. i loved that game. what else can i think of? so many memories, the bards tale with its solar powered wizards :) qix on the atari 800xl my first ever game, dragons breath the music in that is so haunting and it was only music from the atari sts "yammy" chip, bubble bobble in the arcade damn that was years ago, mercenary 3 and those pulvin mines on dion damn you pc bill! lemmings was another one of my favourites. fiendish freddy's on that cartridge that came with the c64, kid icarus on the nes and the two zeldas and batman on the nes that game was feckin great.

its a shame all you young uns' will never get to play these games on their original systems. the horribly incomfortable joystick of the atari 2600, the pointed corners of the master system and nes joypads, the constanly grimy keybord of the c64, the rubber keyboard of the sinclair spectrum, the horrible pinky colour that was all you seemed to get from a cga 286 pc, the tiny black and white srceen of the mac............ christ im only 20 i need to get a life bad :)

Advertisement