Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old school gaming - 16bits or less

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

elite
    elite II frontier
    carrier command
    ik+
    warlords
    mercenary
    starglider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

For the Mega Drive:

Jungle Strike-pure class. gaming took a long while to surpass this. For example i bought Nuclear strike for the pc a few year a go, but it just wasn't the same.

and Micro Machines 97(I think)- me and the brother had the best of duels doing the time trials. I think thats what got me into formula 1 racing. Shaving hundreds of second off the time, or more annoying getting the same time and not beating it. Also being able to design your own tracks rocked. I think that i made 4 or 5 impossible ones to do. only the best survived!!

Quality in gameplay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Oh..and If anyone here completed Jet Set Willy..I'll personally award you with a trophy for perseverance. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Commodore64:
    IK+
    Last Ninja (1, 2, Remix, 3)
    Star Trek (really Old "original series" one .. could start interstellar wars)
    Navy Seals (Cartridge - based on the film)
    Supremacy
    Commando
    Turrican 2
    Wonderboy
    the Dizzy games
    Gianna Sisters
    Creatures 1&2
    Ghouls n'Ghosts
    Bubble Bobble
    New Zealand Story
    Blue Max

(I'm gonna stop there cause I've over 600 c64 games and its getting too hard to name favourites - or remember them at any rate!! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Lemming
    Commodore64:

IK+
    Last Ninja (1, 2, Remix, 3)
    (I'm gonna stop there cause I've over 600 c64 games and its getting too hard to name favourites - or remember them at any rate!! :D )

IK+ and Last Ninja games were wicked.....
    Anyone remember Barbarian? Absolute class - choppin heads :)
    What about green beret? Kung-Fu Master....timeless :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Anyone say Syndicate?
    speedball?
    Last ninja?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

C64
    Wizball - if you havnt played this download it and give it a go. i had it on the c64 but was never able to finish it, but when i downloaded it a few weeks ago i managed to defeat the beast!

OutRun - classic game. have the music from it as my ringtone! (how sad)

nes
    mario 1 and 3 (mario 1 still ownz my pants)
    zelda 1
    Smash TV
    Duck Hunt

snes
    Mario World
    StarFox
    Street Fighter II
    Zelda III
    F-Zero
    Mario Kart

megadrive
    sonic 1,2,3
    Desert Strike

pc
    Lemmings - the origional
    GoldenAxe
    SimCity
    Worms

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Dr. Loon

IK+ and Last Ninja games were wicked.....
    Anyone remember Barbarian? Absolute class - choppin heads :)
    What about green beret? Kung-Fu Master....timeless :D

Yup .. remember them all (and have them all!) Although Barbarian2 was better

Anyone remember "Rick Dangerous" ?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by smak
    C64
    OutRun - classic game. have the music from it as my ringtone! (how sad)

Outrun... deadly.
    Anyone remember continental circus - racing game...?
    There was also Werewolf in London - or was it New York? London I think... it was brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Omfg, all these games bringing back the memories. I almost want to get that A500 out and try get it going again (But it won't work :()

Team17 had ownage on the Amiga. And a mate of mine's dad had a client who sold games, so every so often he'd come home with a boxful of about 20 obscure Amiga games for free.
    1 of them was a speedball - type game except you were lizards and rhinos(I think) playing, and instead of just knocking people out, you punched their heads off and stuff. Scoring goals eventually never mattered :D Gods owned, as did Fuzzball - that game was rock hard. I d/l shufflepuck cafe the other day, and it's damn hard!!! I have no idea how I completed it all those years ago. I was too young 9-12 to enjoy elite, but I remember my bro loving it. Oh, the memories.....
    The best was one Christmas morning, my bro had gotten the A500 pack with Shadow of the Beast, Back to the Future 2, Days of Thunder, and Night Breed. I remember the sound of my jaw dropping when I first saw the intro to Shadow of the Beast. It was absolutely spectacular :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Elite would be my fav, did anyone play the sequel that some german company brought out recently? X:beyond the frontier, was a really ****e game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

Yea, Elite was a favourite back then. I even remember somebody playing in on a BBC Micro. (Remember Those?)
    I also remember sentinel on C64, that was a weird game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Uphamizer

Paperboy on C64 is my best game of all time.
    Desert and Urban strike on the megadrive where just as good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

paperboy on the C64 sucks...
    the arcade version owns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

SYNDICATE!

Quite easily the greatest game ever made.
    Was years ahead of its time.

I could go on and on for ages talking about the game.

How you could re-do the missions in so many different ways, over and over again. They were all so open-ended.

Or playing the entire game again from the start just to see how you could research different weapons, and in time for certian missions.
    Get the good old flame thrower researched quickly, and it would do you for ages!

And oh... That flamethower!
    Squirt a bit of flame at someone, and they'd run around screaming for ages in a big ball of fire, before finaly crumbing down to a little frazzled skeleton.

T'was brilliant!

And there was none of that humanity rubbish going on it in...
    A civilian gets in the way of your minigun? SO WHAT!? That's nobody's problem any more.
    Problems with the police?
    Fire a rocket into the station!

Need to get to the objective quicker?
    Put a bullet through someone's windshield, and gun 'em in the back as they ran off, just so they don't come back as you're trying to steal their car.

Pedestrian crossing? Pff... It's a stolen car! You're not going to be bothered with a few dents and a bit of blood, of chunks of a body.

Cops coming after you then? Shoot the car a bit... It blows, taking out any cop near enough to the blast.
    And the ones that aren't so near are shot up in flame, and run off screaming!

And what's this ****e about the mission ending when your objective is complete?
    Not in Syndicate! No sir!
    You ended the mission when you were GOOD AND READY to end it.
    You could bugger off and loot all the corpses for any decent weaponary, or anything of use. And you could TAKE YOUR BLOODY TIME at it, too!

Like I said... I could go on for hours about how ****ing brilliant a game it was.

And nothing has EVER watched it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I don't ever remember playing Syndicate on a C64, Spectrum, ST, BBC, Amstrad or Amiga. Old school my arse. Having said that it was a very good game, particularly syndicate wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Syndicate came out on the SNES, which was a 16 bit console, and I *think* there was an Amiga version. I'll ask the guys on Monday.

syndicate was primarily amiga and portet to the others afaik.

here's my list of A600 "backup" discs:

John Maddens (The orignal, no 'year')
    Sensible Soccer
    Sensible World Of Soccer
    Chess Player 2150
    Pinball Dreams
    Delux Paint 3
    Noddy
    Advantage Tennis
    Magic Pockets
    World Class Rugby
    Robocod
    PGA Tour Golf
    James Bond "Live and Let Die"
    Street Fighter II - The World Warrior
    North and South
    Cannon Fodder
    Toki
    Lemmings
    F-19 Stealth Fighter
    Rainbow Islands
    Lotus Esprit Turbo Challeng II
    Xenon II - (Bomb the Base - Megablast - pwnage)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk

Street Fighter II - The World Warrior

*shudder*

Yeh there was one disk for the game, one for the backgorunds and two for the characters.

So if you changes characters and stages you could be swapping 3 disks between fights :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by TinCool
    I don't ever remember playing Syndicate on a C64, Spectrum, ST, BBC, Amstrad or Amiga. Old school my arse. Having said that it was a very good game, particularly syndicate wars.

It was on the Amiga.

And Syndicate Wars was complete tripe in comparison.

Advertisement