Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communications Bill Given Priority

Options
  • 19-01-2002 7:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

Irish Times story.

Dail gives long-delayed Communications Bill top priority
    The Minister for Public Enterprise, Ms O'Rourke is understood to have pushed the bill to the top of the Dáil agenda and received the backing of Cabinet on Wednesday. "They agreed to accelerate the Bill, to get it published by Easter, and hopefully, have it read and on the books by the time of the election," confirmed a Department of Public Enterprise spokesman.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭o_donnel_abu

Excellent news, I just hope they don't run out of time.

On a general note, I get the feeling that there is real momentum building to get this whole fiasco of Internet access sorted out.

Difficult to say exactly how much IOFFl has contributed to this but I feel that we have played a significant role in bringing the matter into the public arena.

Now is the time for us to step up the pressure and this is where the Working Groups can play an absolutely vital role.

Martin Harran

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

wow ... real progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

This is very good news alright, lets hope the Bill itself is well thought out and of benefit to us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

What exactly does this mean though? Can some one explain it a tad better?

Does it mean eircom have to unbundle the loop? Sorry if i sound like a noob ;P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by VacilatoR
    What exactly does this mean though? Can some one explain it a tad better?

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36759&highlight=communications+bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep, Eircom have monopolised this area, by delaying access to the local loop, this has been the biggest delay in the Communications Bill id say. So i guess all the stops will be taken out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I'm looking forward to some hysterical nonsence in the Indo afterthis. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are there intentions to update the USO on the ODTR's part, just amoi? I would like to see eircom/esat having to provide minimum 40,000 kbps on a line, if the subscriber requests it.

This Bill will certainly help deliver. It's great news. Will I be able to afford internet access before the summer? Hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Great news, lets keep up the pressure ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

minimum 40,000 kbps on a line would be sweet, just dont count on it happening in the next few years ;)

Advertisement