Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Stuff from Germany?

• 19-01-2002 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hmm rite i've been having an idea. I'm looking to buy a video card and since i'm a cheapskate **** i'm looking for the best possible deal. Now since everything seems to be more expensive in Ireland then everywhere else in the world, i'm looking to buy from a different country. Our currency is worth **** compared to the sterling so thats kind of ruled out england, if i order from AMerica that means large amount of VAT slapped on extra. So that leaves me with some other E.U country to chose from and since i speak a bit of German i'm wondering if i shud buy from there. I hear that components are fairly cheap over there as well.

Now to the hard part, finding somewhere that sells components in German and trying to translate..... Can ne1 help me out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've bought from Germany before (but through a friend who was in Munich at the time) and I'd advise you to shop around. My experience of the German H/W retailers I priced from was that prices for items varied greatly from site to site, with different retailers being much better for different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I can't give you prices but check out www.conrad.de. AFAICR, they now offer the site in English too. However, remember, Germans are also cheapskates (I can say that, I am German after all) ;) and a lot lot of sites will not accept credit cards in payment, just credit transfer (fast & common in Germany, cost from Ireland is prohibitve, last time I enquired TSB wanted to charge 10 quid in fees) or COD. Also check that they actually deliver outside Germany (which many will not - another reason for disgruntlement).
    If you need help, I'll be happy to give a hand ... check my profile for my email.

Cheers

Morgana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

Bungle i wouldnt bother lookin at it,they is only 9 gfx cards to choose from(one of them being a geforce2mx for €132 rip off ya ask me!) only thing thing that caught my eye a little was a Herc 3D prophet 4500 for €101

Found a site called http://www.ccw-online.de/ good site, type grafikkarte in the search box and ull find some good stuff like a Geforce gts for €139 (£109) not bad

Hard all the same to use these site because of laungage barrier,hard for me evn and im doin german in skool

shop round witht the british sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

Odian i found a site www.babblefish.com and it translates sites for ye. Thanks for the help, the few ppl that replied, whats that hercules like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'm using the Hercules and it's excellent for it's price. Counterstrike, Tribes2, RTWC etc all run smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Davo777

I am Irish I live in Germany and buy my stuff from here http://www.km-elektronik.de/ hope that helps you:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

I bought an ASUS DVD (region free) drive from Germany at a very good price and it arrived in 3 days flat.
    Can say I would do it again. Better service and prices than anywhere local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Could you furnish me witha link by any chance Clinical?
    Need a new DVD drive :)

Also on http://www.conrad.de./cgi-bin/conshop/index.cgi

GF256 32Meg DDR for E245.39
    omfgrofllol

"Prices are subject to change" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Will dig the box out this afternoon and email the website to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

that last site had a nice 24X cdw drive for €150 sweet .but the only problem is the language barrier its all fine if it goes ok but what happens if the hardware fails 6 months later its hard enough getting a replacement off an irish company let alone a company a few 100 miles away who might not even speak english but if there was a company that had a site in english and a good english speaking sales/tech support staff it would realy make it worth while to shop in the EU

• Advertisement
Advertisement