Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kentucky fried cpu

Options
  • 19-01-2002 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

this is for a freind...

he took his heatsink off to loan to someone else, that was fine. His dopey roomate came into his room the next morning and wanted to listen to MP3's acrooss the house network. So he put the machine back together (minus the heatsink) and plugged it all in, turned on the machine and walked away.....for the whole day.

My friend came back from work to find his machine turned on and just a blank screen. He said the cpu was cool to the touch, but hasnt had a chance to put the old heatsink back on...

what are his chances he hasnt ruined the board and or cpu?

physically everything looks ok, but he really cant tell as he wasnt round when it all happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

forgot to add. amd 1.4 cpu newish motherboard msi

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

I think your friend may find an opening in his budget for another chip .The AMD's of that speed produce around 70watts and it only takes a couple of seconds for them to burn out without a heatsink :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

misread the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

If the monitor was off and the cpu was cold to the touch 99% chance the cpu fried about 10 seconds after the machine was turned on unless of course your friend had set up the PC to automatically power off when the processor reached a certain temperature. This is a quyick Bios setting which saves pcs in cases like this.

Otherwise it's fried.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I hope for your friends sake that his CPU isn't fried.

On some boards (including mine) the CPU is powered down if the ambient temperature under it (measured by a thermister in the socket), exceeds a limit set in the bios. Also, I might be wrong about this one, but some boards can be configured not to power the CPU if the main Fan 12V connector on the board isn't drawing current.

If the socket doesn't show any signs of scorching when the CPU is removed the board will probably be OK, and it would be a good sign the CPU didn't burn.

<EDIT>
    As a matter of interest, why would someone be lending their HSF to someone. Its not exactly a normal item to lend.

Really Tech, but in a strange way frying a CPU is a tweak of sorts! ;)
    </EDIT>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

A Friend of mine cough burned a tbird 1.4 in under 20 seconds of non-heat sink use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

as logic said, automagical leety technology *may* have saved your cpu, if it hasn't, there is a plan b.

(this is not an attempt at wit or sarcasm)

basically:
    take the fried cpu.
    stick it in an oven at 50 -100 degrees.
    leave it there for 10 hours or more.

this is very rough (so don't follow the instructions)

i'm not lying, and i donno *how* it's supposed to fix it, but i remember it actually working for a guy on www.hardOCP.com.
    at worst, itll be a waste of electricity, at best itll save you money.

maybe if you searched on google for something.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think that worked for a guy whose watercooling system spilled water all over the place saik, could be wrong though. I don't think it will be much help to a tbird either way, when they fry they really do burn up. I think the chip on hardocp was a p3 which has built in thermal protection.

Basically yanklink, I presume your friend had a look at the cpu. Most of the time there will be burn marks and scorching around the cpu, since the athlon gets up to around 350 degree's when its frying. Of course I've also heard of cases where the cpu looks perfect.

The bios setting for cpu shutdown after a particular temp may have saved the machine, however I wouldn't be certain. The temperature sensor on all current amd motherboards basically measures the temperature of the air in the cavity of the socket under the cpu, though it would be improved if the sensor is touching the underside of the cpu. So its response time would usually not be good enough to stop the cpu frying. Say it was set to shutdown at 60 degrees. By the time the sensor read this temperature, the cpu would more than likely be well fried. (read www.tomshardware.com for a more detailed explanation of amd's thermal issues.)

If the cpu is not fried, I'd say it was due to the motherboard not sensing a fan plugged in, as has been already stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

yes, actually i think was the one, a burst water cooler all over a p3. an entirely different kettle of fish.

i have a GA6-DXR, gigabyte amd 760 mobo, it has the underside touching sensor you mention.
    it does give you a right little fright when you check you "PC Health" in the bios.
    it adds (talking very rough here) 10- 15 degrees onto what you would expect.

/me looks back to all the arguements over "the p4 is better cos , look at this video, itll be safe with no heatsink" and how the intel lovers were laughed at.

ah well!

amd's r dirt cheap, taint the end of the world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yeah,

If the CPU suddenly overheated the Thermister would never have a hance to detect it in time, but they are very handy if your HSFan slowly starts to die while you're out of the room. Of course its pointless if the temperature is set too high in the bios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

I saw a video clip on toms hardware that showed the effect of removing the cpu heatsink. In the clip, he removed the heatsinks while the machine was running quake 3. The AMD chip was actually smoking before he got his hand out of the machine.

He also discusses why the time response of the thermistor wasn't sufficient to save the cpu.

I'm sorry I can't remember the specific url for the article as it was some time ago.

I reckon a new cpu is definitely required

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

what is a good temp for your pc to power off at

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Measure the highest temp of your machine, then set it 10 degrees higher or whatever. Use d'oul head like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Different chips have different max temp ratings, so it would depend on what you have. If it is an intel chip, check out the chip specs on the intel website.
    Always bear in mind that if you come within 10 degrees of the max rated temp, you are living on borrowed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

She fried all-right. Kinda surprised me untill i got all your opinions. Guess it makes sense. I just thot if it was powered on without the fan it should be able to sense that, and turn itself off. guess he#s lucky threre was no house-fire!

ill post a phot of said burnt cpu if i can get me hands on a camera.

motherboard and memeory are working fine so it aint that big a deal. (he wants to upgrade to an xp 1700 now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, his friend is bloody lucky he didn't burn down the house.

Depending on how tidy the inside of the machine was, if a wire from the PSU was lying on or near the chip slug the plastic around it could have gone up liek a tinder box, or conducted heat up to the PSU causing an explosion (I used to heat capacitors as a child and aim them at small animals).

I presume he's getting the cash off the friend? Only right and all.....

"Though shalt not touch other people's PCs when they're lying in bits on the table"

I'm just surprised that the friend knew how to put teh PC back together and didn't notice the absence of the big feckin HS block.

Put it down to experience and clim insurance on the QT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Typedef
    A Friend of mine cough burned a tbird 1.4 in under 20 seconds of non-heat sink use.

Hehe, friend of yours?

A friend of mine cough splutter decided to flick the switch on the back of his nice newish PC about six years ago (you know the one - the 110V/220V one). Absent-minded idiot (yes, dammit, I'm talking about me) had forgotten the PC was on at the time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by BioHazRd
    I saw a video clip on toms hardware that showed the effect of removing the cpu heatsink. In the clip, he removed the heatsinks while the machine was running quake 3. The AMD chip was actually smoking before he got his hand out of the machine.

He also discusses why the time response of the thermistor wasn't sufficient to save the cpu.

I'm sorry I can't remember the specific url for the article as it was some time ago.

Here it is:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

need divx.
    Also a vid availbale showing a possible method of unlocking AthlonXPs

Advertisement