Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU cooler reeeeally starting to sound weird now...

• 19-01-2002 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

I left PC on for about 20-25hrs and came back to it today. After a while I noticed a strange sound from the fan and gradually its gotten worse as the nights wears on. Sound like a bloomin' race car revving up, shifting gear, accelerating and then shifting down a gear.

It's a TaiSol CEK733092 CPU Cooler on a KT7A Mobo with a Duron900.

Is it a dud or wha?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

It sounds like the bearings on the fan are knackered.
    Get a new one, quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Well at least you heard it coming.

Get a new cooling fan for the heat sink and do it as quickly as possible.

If that fan were to stop working altogether you risk burning out your CPU, which will in turn burn the socket on your motherboard. I've had friends who had this happen to them and its an expensive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=376&type=5&path=13x167 7th one down is the one you want for a replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Eep. Ok thanks folks.

Btw pokes, is that cooler quiet? The Taisol is like a jumbojet takin' off when yer trying to sleep ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Afaik, the Taisol sports a Delta fan, the helicopter simulator of the cooling world. They are bloody loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Thats a ystech 26cfm 60mm fan, I have 2 of them myself on my p3. They are quite loud, but at least its not a high pitched whine like the delta on the taisol. The ystech moves a lot of air, so you can wire it up to 7 volts, and it will be nice and quiet while still running your cpu cool.

/edit actually the sunon fan underneath it may be quieter, ask in peats can they wire the fans up for you so you can see which is better..

remember that either fan is deeper than your old fan, so you will need longer screws to mount it to the heatsink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Hehe, ok thanks again :]

Advertisement