Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHTML menus causing horizontal scrollbar

Options
  • 20-01-2002 12:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to a very kind and generous donation by Cloud, my own wee community site for footie fans now carries Boards.ie-style navigation menus, however I have a wee problem - they're causing a horizontal scrollbar to appear on the page. I've tinkered with it a little, and I reckon it's something to do with the hidden layers, but I can't figure out just why it's happening. I'd appreciate it if the whizkids here would have a wee poke at it, see if they can spot something I'm missing. Here comes the link.

Thanks, and thanks again to Cloud for helping out this lazy old fart in the twilight of his years. You de man Cloud, or so they tell me.

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Theres a few instances of table width 100% and cell padding=4

Thats just after a quick scan but they might be causing the prob. Maybe try 98 or 99% where you can....i know opera doesn't like tables w/ 100% width

[me goes off to look some more....]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

can you not just center the table, or is that against your design?

I shall have a look tomorrow as you can see its quite lat......zzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Hi your problem is

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

change the 100% to a specific width like 600 or something like 75%

should fix your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

AFAIK you're right, Adam. It's to do with the width of your layer for the options in the "Other Stuff" drop down menu. Add another top-level element in that menu, but without any drop down, and notice that the page width doesn't behave abnormally. I reckon your best bet will be to move the menu to the left a bit...

Just out of interest, do you use non-web-safe colours for all your sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Problems seems sorted now Adam,
    I presume you just did what Baz suggested and centered the menus!

Just a quick suggestion....
    Why not make the dhtml headers as image files so they match the other buttons and also make the background the same colour green as oppossed to white along the top !?

The Images might add to the file size but not by much!
    Waddya think?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

beaver said: Just out of interest, do you use non-web-safe colours for all your sites?

Talk to the webmasta, dat ain't me no more. Looks fine to him on a Mac, looks fine to me on Linux and Windows, and I don't particularly care about the linx anal retentives...

Problems seems sorted now Adam, I presume you just did what Baz suggested and centered the menus!

Yip, took the lazy way out! (No offense Baz.) Just need to shape it a bit and it'll be fine.

Just a quick suggestion.... Why not make the dhtml headers as image files so they match the other buttons and also make the background the same colour green as oppossed to white along the top !? The Images might add to the file size but not by much!
    Waddya think?

The script, courtesy of Cloud, generates the menus on the server side from the database, so if I rejig it - which I have to do quite often, because it's a young site - it'll break the menus. The colours are pulled from the general site style too. I'll be rewriting Cloud's code at some time in the future, I just don't have time now. Which is why I asked if I could borrow it... :)

Cheers!
    adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Yip, took the lazy way out! (No offense Baz.) Just need to shape it a bit and it'll be fine.

Why would you think I would take offense, some people dont mind being lazy, and I'm one of them, now wheres me bed???

Talk to the webmasta, dat ain't me no more. Looks fine to him on a Mac, looks fine to me on Linux and Windows, and I don't particularly care about the linx anal retentives...

Eh? Linx? It's got nothing to do with the platform and everything to do with people using 256 colour displays... Just curious because a lot of designers are switching to using a broader range but I personally haven't moved yet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Eh? Linx?

Linx is a textual browser that a lot of anal retentive "purist" (stuck in the dark ages) *nix users swear by. It can be handy at times, but I think that anyone who uses it all the time needs their head seeing to.

It's got nothing to do with the platform and everything to do with people using 256 colour displays...

I wouldn't swear to it, but I don't think that's entirely accurate. Yes, it caters to 256 colour displays, but that wasn't the primary reason for it's creation. As far as I can remember, it was created to cater for the different way colours were rendered on different platforms. It only has 216? colours because of that.

Just curious because a lot of designers are switching to using a broader range but I personally haven't moved yet...

Indeed. I know there will be people out there on 256, but I personally don't know of anyone, and I deal with dimwitted users on an almost daily basis. I couldn't be arsed catering for a tiny minority of people who probably won't even notice anyway anymore. :)

EDIT: That should read: De webmasta couldn't be arsed any more. I got bored of proper design a long time ago, when I found I wasn't really all that talented. :)

adam

Linx is a textual browser that a lot of anal retentive "purist" (stuck in the dark ages) *nix users swear by. It can be handy at times, but I think that anyone who uses it all the time needs their head seeing to.

Ah, Lynx :)

I wouldn't swear to it, but I don't think that's entirely accurate. Yes, it caters to 256 colour displays, but that wasn't the primary reason for it's creation. As far as I can remember, it was created to cater for the different way colours were rendered on different platforms. It only has 216? colours because of that.

Yeah, it's 216. As far as platform goes, there are gamma considerations, but I've always that that the display mode was of more importance (could be wrong...?). There's also a lesser issue of different browsers displaying colours differently, but I think this is very minimal.

-Ross

• Advertisement
Advertisement