Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBM 300pl Sound Problem

• 13-10-2000 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Sound card is ESS.
    Playing .wavs it screeches like a... er... something screechy. Sort of like dial up handshake noise. Plays CDs perfectly.
    Driver reinstall didn't help.
    Anyone ? Bueller ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Could be a directsound problem if its only in games?

check the different output plugins in winamp
    waveOut/DirectSound.. if both of them give errors then its driver/hardware related.
    and if new drivers do nothing.. hardware frown.gif

CDs will always play properly because there is never any sound processing done on the card itself.. it just sends the audio signal directly to lineout/speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I've had the same problem with GL/PL's (I've a stack of them here).

It seems to relate to some driver getting overwritten when you install new software. I normally do a totally cold boot and if that doesn't work re-install the drivers and cold boot again.

Try also. http://www.pc.ibm.com/support/ (if that's an intranet site then your SOL sorry).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Same happened to me.

Grand until you installed something onto it (preinstalled with NT4 and Lotus) but, stick Office onto it and it goes ballistic.

IBM 300 PL - the're the ones that two out of seven of them are already ****ed after only three weeks out of the box.

Advertisement