Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The newest wave of American rock bands are about as interesting as celery soup ???

Options
  • 20-01-2002 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

it's said that not liking new music is a sure sign your getting old.......looking at MTV lately.....I know not the best place to start if your looking for something "inspiring"....... full of ridiculous garage music which to me sound badly dated already, all those people that listen back to their 2Unlimited albums and wonder what the **** they were thinking buying it, well get ready to cring at the So solid Crew records...........
    But what's happening with american rock bands......boring grunge by numbers band like Creed (I especially hate Creed) ,staind, Nickleback, there's loads more I can't think of ...... contrived angst selling truck loads of records in the US.............People give Blink182 a hard time on this board but I think their one of the better bands to come out of all that....... their songs ain't half bad..... now I know there's only going to be a hand full of good bands to come out of any fad ........ but america is still stuck on this type of music after all it's best bands have died, split up or are in limbo.........

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Nickelback are pretty cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

WHAT???? Are you saying our great effort to Brainwash the world has failed.... You have not been convinced by slick marketing campaigns that the music the US is exporting to the world is grounbreaking quality.

How dare you insult the supremely talented Creed! Scott Stapp is a supremely original and talented vocalist and spiritual musical messiah...How do I KNOW THIS YOU ASK??? Well MTV says so they wouldnt lie...they are devoted to spreding great music worldwide regardless of profit margins.

And if you like BLINK182 try on some SUM41 or LIT we have more ready for you...

Oh and The Strokes are going to save music....
    Linkin Park is the avant guard of nu-metal...
    You have no idea of the brilliance the American music industry has at the ready..... They put alot of research into this... all sorts of clever marketing at work...

What oh you wanted music that would make you feel someting? You wanted talented musicians who play with passion and feeling...vocalists who sound good without the aid of a computer??? Actual songwriters? Sorry but our research indicated that people dont actually like to think anymore.... gulp and swallow because it is all you are getting so you may as well enjoy... take a few downers with your scotch if you must it will sound much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Mordeth
    Nickelback are pretty cool

So are Tonic and Vertical Horizon... but I guess neither of them are quite "new" now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭pixe

Ye and the sad thing is that so many Irish bands copy the trend......sad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by pixe
    Ye and the sad thing is that so many Irish bands copy the trend......sad!

...do they???
    nah, when you hear a new rock band you know straight off if
    their american. it's all so typical these days.

there's the punk style of sum41, blink182 and dozens of other
    green day clones. all sound the same although the above two
    did pull off a couple of catchy singles.

or there's the pathetic "emotionally" driven rock of
    creed and matchbox20....i can't say i'm familiar with their
    songs but some of it ran into me in the past and it's
    fairly embarrasing stuff...wannabe eddie vedders

then there's the cool for hard kids rawk of these nu-metal type
    bands...papa roach, limp b,linkin park .... that are doin covers of other bands doin covers of themselves. What addition are this new POD band to this genre? while linkin park are easily pigeon-holled into this group, that album is pretty good.

overall though, american rock is too typical these days and
    largely uninspiring. Nothing like the scene ten years ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

...oh and this Jimmy Eat World sound impressive so far.
    great tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

American music sucks ass...

The only decent American band is Type O Negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

my isn't this a horde of unexpected clichées.

i have no idea what the point in posting here is, everyone has different tastes in music, and if you can't find something in and amongst the several millennia's worth of music that's floating around the planet to interest you, then you must be a week dead mackerel.

i know that's of no relevance, but i only skimmed the posts...

people are entitled to their own opinions, i like metallica but i also like some britney (well.....) and linkin park... i think the great thinker Paul Campbell put it best when he said "what's wrong with liking linkin park?"

american music will always sound that little bit bland because american culture is a conglomeration of every other culture in the world... that's what makes it america for better or for worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

While not saying that I'm a big fan of this new wave of US r0ck bands, I will at least concede that they write (most) of their own songs and can play instruments....
    Which is at a premium on this side of the Atlantic when you look at the tripe that the "popstars" and majority of fúckwit teeny bopper bands that have a shelf life about as long a soup roll!

And BTW celery soup is quite nice, especially with afore mentioned soup rolls;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭insanebadgergirljess

just to be a nitpicker i thought i should point out that staind are not american,they're english

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭pixe

I've just heard so many irish bands that copy the crap american trends that you've pointed out. It's bad enough when you hear the Americans do it, but when you hear irish bands that sound just like blink182 or limp b, with wining american acents, it's just pathic. (you should check out blast sometime.....not all of them but a good few) Personally I just think that it's even sadder when you see irish bands doing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bugman(Lost)

There is no saving music "The Strokes will save music". Rubbish. If people are going to like pop and other rubbish that it selling, that's that. What is so great about the Strokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

seen as jess started nit-picking, can i say that mickelback are from canada and would not appreciate being called american, eh?

Originally posted by knobbles

...do they???
    nah, when you hear a new rock band you know straight off if
    their american. it's all so typical these days....

yep knobbles you pretty much got it.... good analysis

The main problem is that the younger kids have really not been exposed to anything else... The ones who figure out that what is being hand fed to them by MTV is crap have nowhere to turn, so they basically turn backwards and diefy Kurt Cobain as the last great rocker... They have no exposure to music and no way to even think critically about music. They have not been exposed to anything, they are too young to hit the clubs and wouldn't know good music if it hit them over the head anyways.

I can only think offhand of one good American album that came out last year and that is Jump, Little Children - "Vertigo" and they started their career in Dublin... they were also dumped by their label just prior to releasing the album and had to scramble to get it out. Next best thing after that is Weezer who are decent but no cultural revolutionaries.... The Dandy Warhols are allright too...not a life changing album from the states all year though.

POD aka Payable On Death can be grouped in with the rest they are a Christian nu-metal band who to my belief are pure shyte.

Originally posted by Bugman(Lost)
    There is no saving music "The Strokes will save music". Rubbish. If people are going to like pop and other rubbish that it selling, that's that. What is so great about the Strokes?

read my post all the way through I was being sarcastic..... The storkes are derivative shyte...

I really don't see the big fascination with american music.

Everyone knows that the Norwiegans are the best musicians in the world. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

No... no that's just your little secret Angel...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭stickinikki

...oh and this Jimmy Eat World sound impressive so far.
    great tune
    yeh that tune is so goddamn addictive..and even as a girl i find that video hard to take my eyes away from...;)

Originally posted by PiE
    No... no that's just your little secret Angel...

Oh yeah...

The Swedish. They're fantastic musicians also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Originally posted by atonal
    Linkin Park is the avant guard of nu-metal...

Linkin Park are crap. and so is Nu-metal aka pop metal.

Go buy some good music like Rage against the Machine, White Zombie, Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Or if u dont like that stuff buy some Jimmy Hendrix or Cyprss Hill ect.
    And Jimmy Eat World's song is DAMN addictive :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 wolfbag

Aren't Linkin Park just a boyband? I'm sure I read somewhere that they were put together by the same people as N Sync...they probably realised that there were very few teenage boys buying their records so they decided to address it by churning out some crap formulaic nu-metal that would appeal to every little scruff that ever looked at a skateboard in their local K-Mart (insert Champion Sports/Ken Black's shop/your local variant on this side of the Atlantic). They certainly look like a boyband, they're missing the regulation fat bass player with dodgy facial hair and a stack of cheap tattoos...

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

there's shedloads of fantastic american rock bands aboot, just not mainstream ones. some of them do eventually get heard over this side of the pond, but not too often.
    see : pinback, modest mouse, fugazi, dismemberment plan, les savy fav, at the drive-in, trail of the dead, grandaddy, get up kids, fantomas, don caballero, eels... i'm sure yo've gotten the point by now so i'll stop.

Wolfbag and Chowmein....

Please read my entire post... everybody is misunderstanding... read the bottom.

The use of the term "nu-metal" alone should tip you off that I am being facetious. Linkin Park are utter and horrid shyte they are a rap-core westlife a national embarassment etc....

Read more carefully. Thanks

The main problem is that the younger kids have really not been exposed to anything else...

either have you from what you write below.

I can only think offhand of one good American album that came out last year and that is Jump, Little Children - "Vertigo" and they started their career in Dublin...

you weren't looking too hard then, there's been many excellent albums released by american bands last year ; fantomas - director's cut, jimmy eat world - bleed american and microphones - glow pt2, to name but a few.

Next best thing after that is Weezer who are decent but no cultural revolutionaries....

bollocks. they're last album was piss-poor. blink182's last album was better than it. and that's saying something.

Tibor.

Well you have a point in a way I really havent been looking much at the US(ironic as I live there). Mostly I follow a number of Local Bands... bands I can see and some I have to be content with available downloads for the time being. They have kept me pretty satisfied... That alone is enough effort I saw 6 bands last weekend only two were really good, one was mediocre, one was a friend, and one was a relative (those 2 were more or less obligations)

Aside frion the club bands my playlist (of newer music) for the last year has been: Radiohead, U2, The Frames, The Prayer Boat, Muse (just ok), Ian Brown, David Gray, Richard Ashroft, The Cult. & revistiting my classics ie. Jeff Buckley, Brit-Punk like the Clash and the Jam, Chris Cornell, Black Crowes, That plus classic rock stuff (beatles, dylan, young, floyd, doors, thin lizzy) etc has kept me pretty content.

The space inbetween the mainstream and the complete indie I have not really filled.

I was referring in general to the mainstream anyways
    Weezers album was acceptable in my opinion (minus hash pipe which is fluff) I think it is clever, poppy and enjoyable...nothing great though on that you are right as well I differ on opinion on them being worse than Blink182 though... their last effort may be their worst yet in my opinion.

will look into the bands you mentioned...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

my problem with bands like blink 182, sum 41 etc. etc is that though they have the ability to play instruments, theyre not putting them to good use. the music they make is too bland, and could be written by anybody. anybody could do what their doing and pull it off. i find their music doesnt get to me the way good music should.

Weezers album was acceptable in my opinion (minus hash pipe which is fluff) I think it is clever, poppy and enjoyable...nothing great though on that you are right as well I differ on opinion on them being worse than Blink182 though...

no, no they're first 2 albums put anything blink182 have released to shame, but green was a pile of crap. ain't nothing clever about it, it was a cop out. ****ty meaningless lyrics, lame boring guitar solos along the vocal line, monotone lacklustre vocals....
    you say it was clever, poppy and enjoyable... both of blinks last 2 were FAR better on all of those counts. i don't see the big problem everyone here has with blink, they make good poppy catchy music, where's the beef?

their last effort may be their worst yet in my opinion.

by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

If you're into all that American power/punk/pop stuff, check out The Promise Ring

Originally posted by Beany
    If you're into all that American power/punk/pop stuff, check out The Promise Ring

Thanks... Actually I am not really though... More or less like straight up rock or older punkish stuff like The Jam... Dont really need punk in my pop.... the list of bands I posted above is pretty much where I am at... nothing revolutionary. Power Pop can be allright sometimes not always my choice... I like Fountains of Wayne though because they are quite cynical.

b/t/w/ "has beens" excellent tune.

i don't see the big problem everyone here has with blink, they make good poppy catchy music, where's the beef?

Dude Ranch was fine poppyness I suppose but take off your pants and jacket is terrible and that horrid "Stay Together For The Kids" they started to take themselves way too seriously or something...

again not really my thing though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

that's exactly what people said to me in 1991 when i was listening to nirvana and (shame! shame!) pearl jam. the scene was crap and full of a bunch of pointless retro rock bands. and guess what? they were wrong. apart from pearl jam (listening back to the lyrics of 'alive' and i just cringe).

there's some great music coming out from america at the moment, some of it retro (the strokes, jim o'rourke, etc) and some not so retro (yo la tengo, low, sparklehorse etc etc), and of course there's some **** music coming out too. generalising is bad. and pointless too.

Advertisement