Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate SG-1

Options
  • 20-01-2002 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Who thinks that this is the best Sci-Fi series on at the moment? I'm sure i might be the only one who thinks it but it is so damn good. Is there anyone around here who can serve up some decent fan sites with episode guides?

Ta muchly

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think its the best scifi series out there atm aswell.

http://www.sg1archive.net/

Try the above site, it has a pretty good listing of all the episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

ya it rocks it has something different to all the others but i cant put my finger on it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I has a lot of things going for it.. But i know what you mean.. i can put my finger on one straight away.. It has a cultural and historic background.. i love the whole egypt tie in! But another point is they are not flying around in ships like in startrek and other sci-fi, i love startrek but sg1 is just as good if not better because of this difference.. at the end of the day they are your average joes running around with slightly more impressive technology than the rest of the world but not much and usually face enemies far superior in both numbers and technology to themselves yet they win through in a not unbelievable way each time! Also the conspiracy bits are good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

It is good, but i find it kind of repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by kaids
    I think its the best scifi series out there atm aswell

You would :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Fidelis

You would :rolleyes:

Yea, although Voyager had Jeri Ryan and it was still for the most part fairly sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Have you still got your variating Amanda Tapping desktop images ? :D Go Mike!

Nah, just the one now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I enjoyed voyager, the borg parts were seriously cool.

from the start of the series I couldn't wait till they met the borg,

when fact files gave out the map of the galaxy i drew a line from the caretaker station to earth and it went right through "Borg controlled space" ,,, i liked that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Stargate the movie was very good, with Kurt Russell. deadly film, McGyver does a good job, what would be good, if they had more action, more fighting, maybe an invasion of the stargate on earth, an in bunker battle !!!

Maybe.........

Sounds so much better in my Head !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The SGC has been invaded a couple of times in many different ways.....Sentient Computer Virii....molecular level life forms.... invisible dimensionally out of phase aliens....water beasties (tm)....Camouflaged/body stealing Aliens.....Not to mention the alternate reality full scale G'oald (sp) invasions.

Imho it is the best Scifi series to date, taking over from B5. It has the same strong arc, with so many new aspects being introduced each season, they just keep expanding the story universe. Excellent production quality/effects, realism in just where man stands in the universe and with Physics etc, plenty of humour....

Did I mention I love the show?....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Is it going to have a definite conclusion or will it just fade into insignifigance with Battlestar Galactica ,V and all the other B-series?

I think the reason for it's popularity is because unlike Star Trek the makers haven't tried to create some kind of Earth utopia where everything is all smiles and chocalate and the fact that Earth is always under threat makes for rivetting viewing :)

Originally posted by RASKOLNIKOV
    I think the reason for it's popularity is because unlike Star Trek the makers haven't tried to create some kind of Earth utopia where everything is all smiles and chocalate and the fact that Earth is always under threat makes for rivetting viewing :)

This utopia???

:p

I woulda thought seeing as they are so advanced that the Breen would have been at least been able to wipe out the entire city, but all they could do was blow a few holes in a bridge. (Get some nuke skillz fs)

I hear people wanting action and invasion in the series? Gues what! Thats apparently what the 6th series will be based around.. war between Earth (or at least SGC) and Go'uld.. i think from looking at the upcoming finale on sky, the trailer they show gives and indication of the asgard being involved.. treaty and all that.. anyway i guess that this new Go'uld system lord that has taken over, the one condemed to death a thousand years ago for being to brutal even by Go'uld standards.. anyway i think he is the driving force.. there was a bit in that clip on sky that showed the Asgard ship (looked like Thor's) being fired upon and Thor saying "I underestimated their power!" so could be the Asgard are not as powerful compared to the Go'uld as they once were...

anyone else have any thoughts like this from the series so far and from seeing the sky one clip?

Kaids, the Breen were not out to destroy San Fransisco.. It was explained what the purpose of the raid was.. it was simply to show the Federation that the enemy could strike into the very heart of the Federation! They did that and put the ****s up the federation council. At the end of the day the Breen are not terrorists and had no intention of destroying a city full of innocent people.. it was war and i would imagine if Earth had learned its lesson of weapons of mass destruction then so have other races. The Breen wanted to win the war along with the Dominion and gain control of earth, not destroy everything on it!

Weyoun planned to wipe out everyone on earth but nm ;P

Tis the same in all the ST series, photon torpedoes are supposed to be really powerful but whenever they are fired at a planet they seem to have the same sort of explosive effect as a powerful grenade :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The only time I've spotted a REALLY powerful weapon in Star Trek recently (discounting the ludicrous final episode of Voyager) is the first testing of the phase cannons on board the NX-01 Enterprise... Other than that they all suck rather a lot.

Is it not part of the rules of the federation not to have weapons of mass destruction etc.. the weapons on ships are designed for ship to ship battles and not for total destruction.. Anyway what about the weapons used in Insurrection against the enterprsied.. the ones supposed to be banned.. spacial rift weapons of some kind or something like that...

Weyoun had his own agenda i think... The Breen were different even the Jem-Hadar were honourable like the Klingons are supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Saruman
    Anyway what about the weapons used in Insurrection against the enterprsied.. the ones supposed to be banned.. spacial rift weapons of some kind or something like that...
    The weapon wasn't the spacial rift, the weapons they were using were banned because they were unstable and 'could'cause a spacial rift.

Federation ships are not designed for conquest and destruction, they're supposed to be explorers and the weapons are supposed to be only for defence thus the lack of weapons of mass destruction.

But since we're on the topic of weapons of mass destruction in ST, Shiniji mentioned two, there's also the planet killer (ToS) Borg Cube ?, the minosians (spl?) weapons (the drone's which encased riker in a status field and attacked the enterprise while Geordi was left in charge), Dreadnaught - the carrdassian missile, species 8472 combine the firepower of 5 ships to destroy planets. Undoubtidly more just not in the mood to research it right now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Originally posted by RASKOLNIKOV
    Is it going to have a definite conclusion or will it just fade into insignifigance with Battlestar Galactica ,V and all the other B-series?

Yes. The next series is confirmed as been the last series.. They are working on a new program set in the SG1 Universe but probably not even based on earth... but as FOR the SGC and SG-1 the next series is supposedly all about Closure ;)

They may not be weapons of mass destruction, but they are still fecking puny. :P

Why is it kaids that you remind me of that guy in Armageddon who got his thrills riding the Nuclear weapon?

Anyway azezil yeah all those other weapons were of mass destruction too.. could not remember the name of the weapons in Insurection so just described what they did.

Remember in Voyager in the Year of Hell the ship that could wip certain people etc from time! That was pretty cool. More effective than any nuke.

oh yeah tray cool :)

I can think of other one's but i'm not sure if they we just in games or books!?! lol

Heh saruman, that guy rocked. I could tell you who you remind me of but that might be considered mean. ;)

You can bring up all the examples you like of powerful weapons in Star trek - but ultimately they are mostly once offs - federation, romulans, klingons, cardassians etc all have pants weapons.

Borg Cube comes up time and time again :p (well ok its just a big ship)

the steak knife beam :D

Originally posted by kaids
    the steak knife beam :D
    Riker - "They're carving us up like a roast" LOL very good.... who's a clever little boy then ;)

All time classic Riker quote :)

• Advertisement

If you have a problem with us, take it to the admin board. Otherwise, kindly f**k off.

- kaids

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement