Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sb live to minidisc

• 20-01-2002 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

howdy,

I've got a Sharp MT20 and a SB Live 1024 oem. I want to connect them to stick mp3's onto the minidisc from the computer.. or even possibly edit track titles on the minidisc...

What options do I have.. has anyone done this.. ? I've seen USB converters which might just be the handiest.. but if I could do it for cheaper it would be great.. any ideas ?

Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

excuse my ignorance gav but can you not use the mic line-in?
    or does that automatically degrade it to low quality so you can fit 5 hours on it?
    I mean surely people aren't expected to have optical connections on their stereos to use the mindiscs in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

You could either
    1. Connect the line in jack on the MD to the line out on the soundcard (sounds easy I know)

or

2. Get yourself a digital output thing like sony make. It plugs into a USB port and gives u an optical port to connect the MD to. Sure its still fiddly but it lets u use synchro recording to reduce the fiddlyness.

I went down the same road of trying to get something decent to work with my sony md recorder but found either of the above two to be easiest. Of course you could have just waited till March and got one of those Sony MD Recorders with the USB port in them so you can edit titles, record, delete stuff without all the fiddlyness (and yes I know fiddlyness isint a word)

Theres no way you can edit the track titles thru ure PC. sony have a kit for this but u need to have a MD Deck with a 'special' port for the kit to work (and the decks start at around £450).

Best option is to probably get yourself an USB/Optical kit or sell your sharp recorder to someone stupid for too much money and buy one of the new ones that are coming out in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by rymus
    2. Get yourself a digital output thing like sony make. It plugs into a USB port and gives u an optical port to connect the MD to.

URL me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by phaxx

URL me!

The Sony MD PC Link kit

http://www.pclku5.com/

Its supposed to be discounted item when u buy a deck/home system but I ordered one on its own from the sony centre.. it still hasnt turned up.. but thats another story. You can probably get something similar on Amazon and when I get chance to have a look I'll post what they have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

yo ken !

I wanted to get a kinda mp3 drag and drop interface for the minidisc. It's annoying setting up a playlist then settting the md to record etc and ot being able to play games or whatever on the computer for an hour. Wanted to see if there was an easier way of getting da muzak on !

ere, did anyone in your class ever record lecturers ?

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

drag and drop won't work because there is no transfer of data down the cable with minidisk - the sound is recorded.

the usb kit is v.nice - i've got one here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

As micro said theres no data transfer atm, but i seem to remeber hearing that there will be a MD released soon that can act as a device. Get a usb kit thill then:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

What about the digital-out connection on your SBLive?
    Surely there's some use for the feckin thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

The digital out on the Live is only coaxial (SPDIF) and not TOS optical which the MD use's.

Your only options are:

1) Record analog via line in.
    2) Get a Converter like this http://www.xitel.com/index2.htm
    3) Buy a Live drive for your SBlive card which has optical connections.
    4) Get an Audigy card which comes with an internal bay with every connection under the sun. Also comes with a handy MD Center application where you can q tracks insert silence's etc. Very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

if you must have the optical out, get a live drive for your sb live (the thing you get in sb live Platinum) it will hook up to ANY sblive card, you dont need to buy the expensive pack! I bought a livedrive for my 1024 and its fine, cost me £65 (thats a personal price froma friend who got it from a closing down sale!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Argos have the PC Link MiniDisk - 3 of them - one with a 100 hour battery life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Verb
    yo ken !

I wanted to get a kinda mp3 drag and drop interface for the minidisc. It's annoying setting up a playlist then settting the md to record etc and ot being able to play games or whatever on the computer for an hour. Wanted to see if there was an easier way of getting da muzak on !

ere, did anyone in your class ever record lecturers ?

Gav

no-one in my class ever went to lectures... least of all record them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

well, on the titling front you could, for sony md's there's stuff like http://apayne.pleiades.com/minidisc/ and http://au.geocities.com/athoma00/

They will have to do until these new shiny babies are released..

http://64.35.93.160/pressrelease/1714

mmgh. tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

thought id tag along my question on the end of this thread. i have a minidisc recorder sony mzr700 and someone told me i can hook up the line in to the headphone jack on my computer and record mp3s. i was wondering where i could pick up a cable that would enable me to do so....???

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

www.richersounds.ie

(shop in dublin, get their address from the site)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You can get an analog cable anyway, basically it has 2 phono connectors on one end for the Aux on your stereo and on the other whats basically the same as a headphone connector.. usually Creative bung em in with their soundblaster cards.. have done since the sb16 days anyway.. i have loads of them as a result.. but even dixons or peats or anywere.. even Eircom store MIGHT do them but you will probably have to sign up to Eircom.net and get I-stream installed before they will sell one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Verb,
    One other option (which I dont think anyone here has mentioned) is to get an add-on TOS Optical out card for your SBLive value.

This is what I did, and it allows me to record MP3s digitally to my MD. (That is until I sold my MiniDisc player). So I now no longer have use for my add-on card. So, if you're interested in taking it off my hands, give me a shout!

Instead, I bought a NAPA portable CD player which plays music CDs, VCDs and MP3 CDs..

I now have my entire collection of CDs stored on about 8 CDs.

Advertisement