Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

antivirus software

• 20-01-2002 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

which is best

PC-Cillan ?

McAfee ?

Norton ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Innoculate IT from Computer Associates, its called something else now but I still have the free version with the free lifetime updates. Very handy it is. Small footprint, doesn't install loads of other crap.

Stay away from F-Secure.

Norton buries itself in the OS, though I think its okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Villiros

This one is really good for scanning and stuff... But if you're after a good monitor, it's not the best choice, imho.
    www.kaspersky.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

I defintily think Norton Anti-Virus is better than McfFee anyway and would recomend it to anyone. McAfee is always finding stupid virus that arn't there such as stupid ones in picture files on webpages.Norton has detected nearly every bad virus going that i have know and either fixed it or innoculated it so it can be fixed later which is cool, it also does it much nicer and has the box that pops up as window loads which allows you to access other programs even if you've ****ed up windows its-self. This coupled with a program called Check-It which back up all the important files and has a brillo recovery disk, have saved my comp so many times.

Gideon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

My personal preference is PC-Cillin. I tried Norton once and ended up with loads of issues - (More to do with windows, I'm sure). I have never been hit with a virus, and I have intercepted loads. I have been using PC-Cillin for 4 years now without a hitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I use AVG from grisoft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I presume you're talking about desktop use?
    In that case go for Norton AV 2002.
    Has the best results in stopping virussus (?) and also scan incomming AND outgoing e-mail..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

a main issue are the definition updates.

do any of the major companys [and anyother] give free definition updates ? apart from the one year off deal.

Innoculate IT excluded :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

I've used a few and it has to be Norton 2002 for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by phaxx
    I use AVG from grisoft

ditto
    its free too :-)
    and the virus updates come out before norton - which i also use (on a different machine)

nearly all anti-virus programs have a free update of virus lists, i have never come across one that doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

My understanding is that many of the main ones, like McAfee, give you 1 free year, and subs after that ?

My understanding is that with PC-Cillin (and possibly others) is that the program will automatically update its pattern files while you are subscribed. However it's possible to manually download and update your pattern files if you have no subscription. I think scan engine update files are the only ones you cannot download unless you are subscribed.

i've had 3 different types of Norton Anti-Virus and they have all been able to update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

A good shot of Penicillin usually clears it right up for me......

.........whoops sorry, wrong thread

if ya knew it was the wrong thread why'd ya bother postin, couldnt' help but notice the lack of an edit on ur post. pure spam me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Virus.jpg

me a few mins ago :/

If I hadn't seen that with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

/me notices "BardQuiz!" running in the background in DBC's image... (DBC won it by the way)... :D

Personally I've stuck with McAfee ever since I got hit by Nimda and it's doing the job nicely. That reminds me... about time I updated it... (I do it manually... online).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

I think i have "anti-virus" credits.
    Like a vacination :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

umm i tryes to download this AGV free anti virus software and i only get this MP3 surgeon !!?!?!

wtf ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by MiCr0

ditto
    its free too :-)
    and the virus updates come out before norton - which i also use (on a different machine)

yeah avg kicks ass

i found it MUCH better that PC chillin or anything else(back when i used windows that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I can't understand why anyone would use a virus scanner that you have to pay for, when you can get an excellant free one!

www.free-av.com

It always seems to have updates out before all the others! And its FREE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

i think norton is best from experiences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Norton didn't like my win2k SP2 installation at all :( can't deal with dynamic disks :( after the final reboot, it blue screened me :( then the uninstall failed, cos it hadn't installed properly -leaving me with 16-bit subsystem errors all over the place and few rogue services, not nice :( had to reinstall in the end after drastic registry surgery - McAfee on the other hand was grand not a bother on it...

lph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Villiros
    This one is really good for scanning and stuff... But if you're after a good monitor, it's not the best choice, imho.
    www.kaspersky.com
    Id second this. Id say AVP is the best all-round package by far. Fastest definition updates compared to any other major package, excelent program in general.

Advertisement