Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's doing what and where next September?

Options
  • 20-01-2002 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Well....at present, I'm looking at Computer Systems or Computer Engineering at UL.

If not either of those....some sort of IT business course somewhere!

My first choice was a Computer Games Technology course in University of Abertay, Dundee but sadly.....me being me, left the application till last week b4 deciding to apply and ran outta time.

Ah well....next year.....

So what is everyone else doing after the LC ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

At the moment I'm most likely to be doing Economics (maybe with Finance) in Maynooth.

Possibly in Abertay, but depends on what UCAS says in a few weeks :)

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by Kaimera
    Well....at present, I'm looking at Computer Systems or Computer Engineering at UL.

If not either of those....some sort of IT business course somewhere!

My first choice was a Computer Games Technology course in University of Abertay, Dundee but sadly.....me being me, left the application till last week b4 deciding to apply and ran outta time.

Ah well....next year.....

So what is everyone else doing after the LC ????

There is many other Computer Systems courses in Ireland why not go or one of them,

also You can do Computer Engineering in DIT and NUI Maynooth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I'm hoping to do computer applications in DCU, I hear it's a good course and DCU have a good reputation for finding you work when you complete your degree..

If i don't get this I will probably do computer science and software engineering in maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Medicine in ucc or applied psychology

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by Kaimera

Beware, that computer systems degree is reputed to be the most difficult course you can do in UL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Well, ill probably be dossing most of september, but towards the end im hoping to do Computer Games Technology in Abertay. Failing that, my first choice on the CAO will be History and Political Science in TCD.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

General Nursing in ucg i hopes i hopes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by Stephen

Beware, that computer systems degree is reputed to be the most difficult course you can do in UL.

God DaMMit!
    ah well......maybe Engineering.

Does anyone know anyone doing Computer Systems in UL ??

If so....can you just see what they think of it...PLZ....advice/insight would be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

either selling my soul to the corporate world [business in heriot watt, edinburgh] or science/genetics in Dublin, trinity my first choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Hopefully electrical/electronic engineering. Anyone doing either or both? Or even know anyone studing it? I'm still not sure what place to put down as my first choice! Providing I don't fail my f*cking german! I hate the oral!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Ooh I might be repeating :D. Not a chance though I'd never really do that unless something odd and screwed up happened. If all goes to plan I'll be in my dream course which I cant say because its a kick ass course, the only one in the country and has 30 spots so you bastards will try and apply for it making my chances even harder!!! :D

But seriously I am serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Honey Bunny

wouldnt be in dcu by any chance.........

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I don't hvae a clue yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Syn-Boy

Yeah id like to do law at tcd/ ucd, failing that which i will coz the points are like over 500 i wanna do business and legal at ucd. but as you all know with the whole baby boom thing over the points as a rule are meant to be dropping slightly, however for all those courses with few applicants this will make little difference:( :(:(

You never know all you need to do is study!!!

Easier said than done!!

Its only hitting ppl now coming up to the mocks that their doing the big LC!!

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Hoping to do Computer Science in TCD.
    Putting down Computer Applications in DCU as second choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MetroDuck

Economics and Philosophy in TCD for me... :)

I'm gonna put down Software Systems in the National College of Ireland as a back up choice...

The National College of Ireland is the best choice for back-ups!
    Most of the degree courses only need about 300 points. The points are so low because they have just entered the CAO system.. So anyone whos interested in business/computing should consider putting it down on their CAO! They're building a brand new campus in the financial services center at the heart of Dublin which will be ready by September... and it will have lots of new computers and lecture rooms and stuff... so even if ya mess up in the leaving cert you'll still have a nice place to go to¬! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Originally posted by Zyox
    Hoping to do Computer Science in TCD.
    Putting down Computer Applications in DCU as second choice

dude, I've got the same first 2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Well, i got an offer from Abertay this morning... :)

A

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

Well, i got an offer from Abertay this morning

well done :) has anyone else got offers from the UK back yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Yeah I applied to 5 places in the UK/Scotland I think, got offers back from 4 and one decided not to make me an offer, there are only two on UCAS that I'm even considering, I'd really rather stay in Ireland, don't know what to do exactly but I'll find something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Just a note to everyone who wants to do Computer Applications in DCU. Although i dont do it from what i hear from friends and ppl around campus it is a very hard course. Make sure you know what your getting into as the course has a little bit of everything. You would also want to like maths a lot if your gonna do it. I dont want to put anyone off it but just make sure you read up on the course as it has a very high drop out rate for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Anyone doing Applied Computing in Waterford??
    Hope to get that.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Hopefully Web Design in DKIT. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

I'm planning on doing maths in trinity...was think'n of matamatical science in ul...but the pure maths course seems alot better with job opertunities very nice......... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

funny how it seems to be mostly computing or science courses that are attracting people.

What am I talking abou?? - of course that's not surprising!!! that's the business to be in at the moment. What I'm saying is how come no arts-based courses are here? Journalism for example. Is no one interested in the arts and communicatons any more??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by roxy
    funny how it seems to be mostly computing or science courses that are attracting people.

Funny, also, how Science in UCD has dropped 115 points since 1998. If you're looking to do computers in UCD (for whatever reason) but can't stretch to its 450 points, you can do the same course through Science for 310 points (Although you have to do a little extra work and be interested to do well). Just a little tidbit.

A guy in my year went off and did an intro course to computing in Bruce, because he didn't make Comp Sci. in UCD, and didn't put down science, despite my insistance thats it's the same course :rolleyes:

:)

What I'm saying is how come no arts-based courses are here? Journalism for example. Is no one interested in the arts and communicatons any more??

I have all arts based courses down, mostly Psychology, but I have Journalism there too, and the more I think about it the more appealing it sounds, but I might just do an arts degree then there's a one year post-grad journalism M.A. I could do, which would probably work better for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

thanks for the tip seamus but I'm happily past the leaving cert. doing.....journalism would you believe!

Mills if you want any insider info on a journalism degree then I'll happily divulge the secrets....

I know the value of being able to talk to someone who has actually done or is doing the course and not someone who is just trying to get you to go to their college

That'd be great roxy, I've tried to talk to people doing the courses I'm applying for (don't trust prospectuses much) but I haven't found anyone doing journalism yet :). Which course are you doing and where? Actually maybe you could pm/e-mail me? It's not exactly of interest to most of the boards users :).

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

After I come back from Amsterdam
    I hope to be in Architecture in DIT
    ( UCD SUCKS LIKE OLD HELLO MAGAZINES ROIGHT)
    There is only 25 places this year so I may be oone of the few chosen ones,
    I got my apatatude test yolk on Tuesday so I'm looking froward to that one to be sure.

Advertisement