Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds

• 20-01-2002 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting grinds in leaving cert business and maths..

Just wondering from people who have taken them before, are they worth doing? And do they really improve your grades?

Also can anyone recommend somewhere in dublin that offer them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

DEFO!
    I took grinds in maths fron 2nd year - 3rd in pass maths, then i was moved up to honors maths in 4th. Grinds are great, they really do give you a boost and i never for less than 70% in a test! Now that i have dropped them im just passing - so im now in AshField College on a Saturday morning from 10-11:30 doing maths and 12-1:30 doing physics. There is also a course in The Institute in leeson street every mid-term of any time people get a week off - its like 3 hours a day on the one subject of your choise and its suppost to be really good. My girl friend said it worked wonders on her.
    /me has enrolled for easter break ;)

reD.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Jasuz reddy, you got some really early grinds for the junior there!
    musta cost a fúcking bomb to get them in ashfeild college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Well it all depends on the indivdual.
    They are not just a magic wand to get out of doing"real work".

Having said that they can be useful in complementing your overall grade. I did Bus Org as an extra subject in the Institute with Billy Noonan and I must say he is an excellent teacher and you should consider going there for grinds. (i got a B2 btw)

Re: Maths
    Pat Doyle is another good maths teacher who does grinds in the Institute. He was my maths teacher in CUS, and he would be worth paying to have grinds with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

DEFO!
    I took grinds in maths fron 2nd year - 3rd in pass maths, then i was moved up to honors maths in 4th. Grinds are great, they really do give you a boost and i never for less than 70% in a test! Now that i have dropped them im just passing - so im now in AshField College on a Saturday morning from 10-11:30 doing maths and 12-1:30 doing physics. There is also a course in The Institute in leeson street every mid-term of any time people get a week off - its like 3 hours a day on the one subject of your choise and its suppost to be really good. My girl friend said it worked wonders on her.
    /me has enrolled for easter break ;)

reD.

**** sake m0rk I thought you was in pass math's, but yeah Ashfield is alright but at the end of the day its just a bunch of notes and your wasting a hour and a bit going into them because all they do is read from the notes.

If you want to be a cheap skate get the notes off a m8 or go in just as the lesson ends and go oh yeah I didnt get the notes from such and such could you give them to me please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

11 yrs later still need grinds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭bren2001

I am a grinds tutor so I would like to say yes grinds help a lot. Studies have however shown that grinds do not increase your grade.

From personal experience I would say grinds work for whoever wants them to work. All too often I have gone in to help people who think I'm to do all the work. If I could, I would but ultimately the work boils down to the student. If you work hard at the subject and gets grinds to help you where you are stuck then yes, they work a treat.

I've seen people who are not good enough get A's and I've seen some really bright people gets D's because they think getting grinds means they dont have to study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Grinds will work if you are prepared to work. If you are struggling because you are too laid back, failing to complete homework etc they may not help much.However iIf you find the topic difficult and put time and effort into school and grind then they can be very beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

One hell of a bump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Ha ha never even noticed that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Zombie thread die now ... :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement