Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestion regarding the boards.ie ticker

• 20-01-2002 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

How about having a simple text file, like this:
    board|!|topictitle|!|topicurl|!|poster\n

and have that updated all the time by vBulletin. Other people can then write ticker applications that read this every minute or so, and thus will be able to do things that you can't do with another toolbar, like opening in Opera (I imagine it would be a pain in the arse getting that working with a toolbar!) and semi-transparent windows and fancy stuff like that.

So how about it? Simple to do on the server side, and then people can write clients for it in any language they like, for any OS.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

XML?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Uh, yeah, that sort of thing.

/me goes to find a book on XML

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

How about getting a time added into it aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Ya ya, can pass that too, I was just including the most important pieces of info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

afair that is the way its set up but i forget the txt file names, but if you do a search in the admin forum you should find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Baz_
    afair that is the way its set up but i forget the txt file names, but if you do a search in the admin forum you should find it.

afaIr, ... there WAS a plain-text file that showed the top 20 but that was under UBB ... dunno if it was updated for vB.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think the idea was to create an xml file of each board so people can do as they please with the data. That, is a good idea imho.
    XML does that just fine so I think I'd like to see that happen in the near future. We are still cleaning up bits and pieces so we'll get onto new features soon. Perhaps some trusted working groups to spec and code this might be fun.

We've worked out how to make the ticker tape thingie run from your subscribed forums too, so it should be more personalised to you.

Lots of cool stuff in the pipeline, just so little time at the moment.

DeV.

Advertisement