Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC manufacturers viewpoint...

Options
  • 21-01-2002 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Greetings,

Browsing the forum this evening, a couple of things strike me:

1. Politicians/government/officialdom are usually referring to leased lines and fibre optic backbones when they talk about "broadband", if they mention it at all.

2. Microsoft, HP, etc. have started lamenting the state of IT infrastructure in Ireland and the government seems to be listening to them.

Would it be worthwhile for IoffL to encourage/invite computer manufacturers (particularly ones with significant workforces in the country like Dell, Apple, etc.), computer retailers (Compustore, PC World) and software makers (Microsoft) to make a specific joint submission requesting rapid deployment of broadband/FRIACO services for the residential and small business market?

My thinking is that widely available affordable fast internet access would be a useful marketing angle, would boost PC sales and thus be in the interest of these powerful players (.......... or perhaps this has already been tried/done and I missed it).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

This seems to me to be a reasonable argument, and worth investigating further - if only to bottom it out. However I'm not sure how interested the manufacturers and resellers would actually be.

Has anyone approached them before now on this topic? Do they actually care?

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by c0y0te
    Has anyone approached them before now on this topic? Do they actually care?

c0y0te

They may not care directly. However, I would imagine that if the price of net access decreased, and the access speeds increased, then there would be an increase in the number of PC's bought, especially by families.

So, indirectly, their sales would go up. Which leads me to suggest that they "might" care indirectlly!!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Would it be worthwhile for IoffL to encourage/invite computer manufacturers (particularly ones with significant workforces in the country like Dell, Apple, etc.), computer retailers (Compustore, PC World) and software makers (Microsoft) to make a specific joint submission requesting rapid deployment of broadband/FRIACO services for the residential and small business market?

I work for one of the resellers you mention and can verify that PC sales are less than half of what they were early last year/year before.
    Naturally all the above companies would welcome the intro of broadband from both a sales point of view (faster pipe needs faster computer to fully utilise the bandwidth for games, video, whatever) and a cost savings one.
    (Okay so the larger companies have leased fiber so it will only affect their customers)

I think they may well support this move...

b

Advertisement