Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**g/s Warning**

Options
  • 21-01-2002 3:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Just to warn you that if you want to play the medal of honour demo online that gamespy will tell you "to hold on a sec" you need to download a config file to play well that sec has turned into two hours(8mb so far) and im now stuck because you cant use a download program and come back to it later i have know idea how big this file is or how long it is going to take and having spent two hours already i can either stick it out or forget it altogether.So kids just say no.

Stone

GameSpy sux diarea i hope the full game doent need you to use it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

If a file has not registered its size before the download beings, surely the file will be corrupted when its eventually downloaded, or will time out before its finished?

dunno...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

wats it like, the demo.

its on the new PCZONE mag [i think], but wasnt gona pay the price for the ones decent game on the cd's

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by chernobyl
    If a file has not registered its size before the download beings, surely the file will be corrupted when its eventually downloaded, or will time out before its finished?

dunno...?

Not necessarily (*he acccidentally said pompously* )

Most times the size will be listed but sometimes not (don't know why & I'm not one for pretending - maybe it's something to do with version of http on the server or summat)

As a general rule though, it's sometimes an indicator of problems like you've said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    wats it like, the demo.

It's not bad, although I'm a long way from getting as excited about it as some people. PCZ are pimping it like crazy, probably because they got an exclusive on the demo. Little things really got on my goat, e.g. they said it had lower system specs that RTCW yet on my system RTCW ran far better.

Even given RTCW's dissapointing ending, I'd prefer it at this stage having seen the two MoH demos.

If you want the PCZ disks PM me and I'll mail them to you from work. :)

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Found out what the problem was after 15mb it was trying to download the demo now if it had said demo rather than config/file it would have saved me alot of ****e.So be warned again if like me you had Gamespy arcade installed already then you install medal of honour and let the demo install the gamespy arcade again it doesnt update your game list so when you go to the site it doesnt see the game and starts downloading the demo to you under the name config/file so all you have to do is update your user profile scan for games ect ect.BTW if your trying to play on a 56k modem forget it the netcode must suck cos even though i had a ping of 200 the choke and packet loss was unreal i even got evicted from one server with the parting words NO 56k modems aloud grrrrr.

Stone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Stonemason
    NO 56k modems aloud grrrrr.

Stone

What the hell are you doing using 56K, jeysus have you not heard about €ircom offering SDSL connections to all residential customers if you buy some more shares in them....[small print]terms a conditions always apply fool!![/small print]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Originally posted by Stonemason
    NO 56k modems aloud grrrrr

I know, I've been there. RTCW MP is pretty bad with 56k but MoH MP is completely unplayable. The whole GameSpy Arcade experience just pisses in your open sores.

You get the feeling that the decision's been made; 56k is dead for on-line games play. *

Not necessearly though! :) Get your copy of HL out (you do have one, don't you?) and grab a PCG or PCZ covermount and get playing Day Of Defeat! Version 2.0 any day now. :) Get shooting those Nazis! Verteidigen sie das Vaterland! **

K

* grumble...no real alternative for most people in this country... only two kidneys to sell... grumble

** This has been an advertisment for Day Of Defeat, my favourite HL mod.

Advertisement