Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computers near me in win 2k

Options
  • 21-01-2002 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

for some reason my computer keeps looking for computers in a workgroup called "workgroup"

how can i get it to check in the workgroup "students" ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Get the properties of "My Computer" and you should have the options "Network ID" and "Change"

Click change and correct the work group name.

[ps]
    Im using XP, but i think its the same in win2k, but not certain.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just in case that was the problem I renamed the workgroup from "students" to "students2" and then back again to "students"

but I still get the error
    Workgroup is not accessible

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

I can't seem to find anywhere, that this setting can be changed. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

Are you running a Firewall suich as ZoneAlarm on any of the machines? If so, try disabling it and accessing the workgroup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

have you pinged any of the coms in the workgroup with/without success?

need more detail to analyse the problem....

I'm not running a firewall atm

I can ping the other computers grand

• Advertisement

check they're all running netbios over tcp/ip......

I don't think u got my question properly,

It's the Computers near me Icon that looks for the workgroup "workgroup" even though I'm in the workgroup "students" whenever it is double cllicked

indeed I did :eek:

I can't think of anything right now but try the network boards on hardocp?

Have you tried mapping a network drive on one of the coms in the workgroup?

Or tried to access the admin share by typing the path in the run prompt?

Make sure all of your services are running, the only one I can think of that would cause your problem would be the computer browser service. If it's stopped it means you can access the coms by typing the path but they won't show up in network neighborhood.

still no joy? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

have you got netbios installed?

• Advertisement

It's not a life or death matter, I can see the network, I just have to go into entire network and go from there, I just want to know why the "Computers Near Me" isn't searching the workgroup which my computer is in

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Change your Computer's Network Idnetification from 'Home User' to 'Business User'.
    Set domain servers if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Ehhh.. Have you tried looking at the Entire Network and see if you can even see the other workgroups?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Oh i get what your talking about.. In fact i noticed that myself.. you can see all systems in entire network, you can ping them you can search for them but in the "Computers Near Me" it looks in a different workgroup only.. Basically i think it uses the one that was selected on insta.. i dont think i ever fixed it as i got sick of 2000 being so slow browsing the network i just used 98 instead!

It SHOULD change when you change the network.. anyway at the end of the day its just a shortcut to your Workgroup so you can create a shortcut to your workgroup and just use that... You could also try uninstalling all network drivers and protocols etc and reinstalling them.. might fix the problem.

Advertisement