Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explorer not responding

Options
  • 21-01-2002 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

I use IE on an old Win95 machine in work (when I feel like not doing any work), it accesses the internet over the network via PPP Share Lite, this worked fine for the last few months.

On Thursday I noticed that IE hangs about 2-3 minutes after it's started up now, nothing has been installed or uninstalled (hardware or software) recently.

It works fine for those first couple minutes then the computer locks solid so that the power has to be shut off - when it locks the hard disk light comes on and stays on - anyone know what this could be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

probably graspin at straws :

Scandisk
    Defrag [often amazed at what it fixes ;]

you could check the settings of another similar puter against your own pc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I wouldnt be surprised if it was Windows/IE trying to do an "update check" and hitting problems there.

My immediate suggestion would be to try installing a newer version of IE, or re-installing IE.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by bonkey

My immediate suggestion would be to try installing a newer version of IE, or re-installing IE.

or to install netscape or opera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Originally posted by sisob

or to install netscape

Kind of the equivalent of smashing you PC with a crowbar seeing as Netscape's the biggest pile of poo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Originally posted by Loomer

Kind of the equivalent of smashing you PC with a crowbar seeing as Netscape's the biggest pile of poo

i do not argue with microsoft devotees - it is like going to a tribe in the rainforests of africa and telling them it is better to live in cities

one piece of info - the latest netscape loads as fast as ie (after the first load where IE is faster because most of it is loaded during boot) and netscape loads pages faster and better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Reinstall usually does the trick, obviously upgrading can be good either.

Are you working in a small company of do they have an IT Support Section!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

with IE when you try to remove it, it gives the option of repairing it.....after that Delete and Reinstall...

try that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by sisob

i do not argue with microsoft devotees - it is like going to a tribe in the rainforests of africa and telling them it is better to live in cities

one piece of info - the latest netscape loads as fast as ie (after the first load where IE is faster because most of it is loaded during boot) and netscape loads pages faster and better.

and its a waste of time trying to argue with people who hate microsoft products for the only reason is that its micrsosoft and that the are an evil corperation blah blah blah.
    lets face it, 99% of users have no problems with MS products. any problems they do encounter are usual user errors. and you dont get that with whatever muck you advocate because you generally need a little knowledge to kow what you are doing.

netscape, is indeed a big pile of steaming horse muck.

oh, my app loads pages faster than your app!!!

fúck off and get a life will you?
    please?

on a side note, conor, install ie5.5 or 6 or whatever you can get your hands on and it should be fine.
    if you got a cd with your new system at home it should be on there

Advertisement