Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to pay £12 million to Afganastan

• 21-01-2002 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

its funny isn't it! America have just ripped up the country! let bombs down and all! and yet our foreign minister Brian Cowen had to go to Tokyo(i think) and sort out how much aid to give! Don't get me wrong supporting people is great but why have we got to pay £12 million for americas actions! its seems a bit unfair to clean up after their dirty work!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I think you might find that :

1) Not all of Afghanistans problems are from the US - even allowing for the US proxy-war against the USSR there.

2) We do not *have* to spend 12 mill - we *choose* to, because its effectively humanitarian aid.

3) The trip to Tokyo was about agreeing a "common policy" for giving aid, to make it more effective.

I dont see why this can be a bad thing. Are you saying that youd prefer if Ireland didnt contribute anything and just said "screw them, its not our problem"???

Alternately, are you going to claim that the US is the only nation who should be paying for the restoration of the country? Can you imagine the outcry which there would be if that is what happened? People would get up on their high horses about the US "buying" a proxy 51st state (or 52nd, to keep the US/Israeli fanatics happy).

I would be curious, however, to see how much the US will be investing in this humanitarian aid.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Said on the news last night that the war has cost the US 100 billion (so far) and that they've contributed enough aid already. There seems to be a distinction between money for rebuilding the country and money that is just humanitarian aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭paddymee

Said on the news last night that the war has cost the US 100 billion (so far) and that they've contributed enough aid already. There seems to be a distinction between money for rebuilding the country and money that is just humanitarian aid.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020121/ts/attack_dc_1368.html

"U.S. PROMISES $296 MILLION

The United States, which launched its war against terrorism after the Sept. 11 hijacked airliner attacks on New York and Washington, blamed on bin Laden, said it would provide $296 million in aid this fiscal year with more to come."

OK. So what will you complain about now? Too much, too little, too involved outside their borders, don't care what happens outside their borders, US taking over the world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Irish Times quotes the figure of €12m not £12m, so that would be about €3.15 per capita.

The USA figure of $296m would be about €1.20 per capita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭paddymee

The Irish Times quotes the figure of €12m not £12m, so that would be about €3.15 per capita.

But as a previous poster claimed, the US already has spent 100 Billion so far.

But my main point is that no matter what happens this board will bash the US anyway.

I know that 100 Billion was probably spent on military, but it's still a lot of money that could have been spent else where. But now Afghanistan has a chance of a future, and the world is rallying to help it. Is that a bad thing?

Of course people will say that their action was purely self interest. What about the money the yanks have spent in Kosovo or defending Muslims in Bosnia, or Somalia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Whereas Iran has pledged in excess of $500M. Wonder how much per capita this works out to be? So, if anyone is trying to snub ther American's for their "paltry" per capita, then they can level the same criticism at Ireland when taken in comparison with Iran.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

€12 million over 4 years is truely pathetic!

I'd say running the government jet would cost more over the same period.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

one or two things:
    The largest pledges were the European Union $500 million for this year, Iran's $500 million over five years, Japan's $500 million over 21/2 years, the United States' $296 million for this year and Saudi Arabia's $220 million over three years.

and if you work it out
    Iran is giveing $7.50 per person over 5 years. (500 million)
    the US is giveing $1 per person over the next 6 months (296 million)
    (they say more will be comming But They can not say how much till after September when the fiscal year ends for them)

and Ireland ? were giveing just under €1.04 per year per person over 3years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My apologies:

http://www.gov.ie/iveagh/ (under press releases)

"COWEN MAKES THREE-YEAR AID COMMITMENT TO AFGHANISTAN IN TOKYO
    The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Brian Cowen, TD, has announced that Ireland will contribute € 12 million over the next three years to the reconstruction of Afghanistan. In addition, there will be continuing financial support to address the country's humanitarian needs. Total aid to Afghanistan this year will probably exceed the € 5.08 million contributed last year. "

It is still €1.33 per capita last / this year.

Advertisement