Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ntdlr missing

• 21-01-2002 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

hi,

My machine wont boot up and i am just getting the error message 'ntdlr missing'. This happened before and i ended up formating the hard disk,(lucky me i had all my files backed up) anyway does anyone know how to get around this problem,

Please Help Me!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ramius

The machine is running windows '98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

will it boot from a floppy?

It will boot into dos with a startup disk but it still wont load windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I strongly suspect that you mean "ntldr", the NT boot loader, rather than "ntdlr".

If that's true then you probably had the machine set up to dual boot NT/Win98 at some stage?

You may be able to SYS the C: drive from a 98 boot floppy to get it working again. I suppose it's worth a try:

1. Boot from your 98 startup floppy
    2. Type "SYS C:" at the command prompt
    3. Remove the floppy and reboot.

This only goes of course if everything I've conjectured above is true and you don't want NT anymore!

K

Thanks for that I will try it. I had 2000 on it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Good stuff. Let me know how you get on and if it doesn't work we'll see what else we can think of.

BTW: When you're booted up on the floppy do a "DIR C:\" just to make sure all the files on the root of the C: drive aren't deleted.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

fdisk /mbr should remove the nt loader from the master boot record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I agree with Kev. Your Master Boot Record has probably got corrupted and booting with a boot floopy with fdisk and typing fdisk /mbr should fix the problem

Thanks for all the help, Everything is fixed now, fdisk /mbr did the trick

Advertisement