Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Green Issues board created

• 21-01-2002 5:41pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Vote green issues and questions of all types. I'll be writing up a charter for it in a little while.

Enjoy.

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Fair play! Should be nice to see a few enviromentalististic types on the board.

If not, we can allways point and laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Cheers Dev! yes i'm a bit of an eco warrior in my spear time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Great, thats bound to attract Tree Huggers - always a good crowd to wind up. Them being a bunch of militant pro dolphin radicals and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

o sweat jesus, say it aint so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Let the revolution Begin :D

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

And who shall moderate this plush, atmospheric board!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

id like to niminate bubbles

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

id like to niminate bubbles

Really!?
    Is he of sound and pure mind, well, at least enough to moderate such a lovely, ambient and *Sigh* Screw this - I'll admit it I'm not exactly the environment loving type - I'll more than likely be dead before the Ozone collapses, or we're struck by a super nova etc...

Bubbles, eh? Wan Bubbs.

id like to see bubbles there, just cause the funny level will shoot up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Amp for Taoiseach!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Who knows what the future will bring......

But it will be damn good........

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

since ive already had a thread closed, i think i should be moderator.
    after all, look at all the activity ive created on the work board :)

Look at all the activity I brought to the Game Editing Board... You don't see me tooting my own horn ;)

Sorry, just my bash at some strange thing you call humour...

Anyhow, there shouldn't be a fight about it all - And peeps, I hope that people aren't requesting to be moderator so they can have another notch on their bed post, if you understand what I mean :D

Does anyone actually want to moderate it, out of curiosity!? I'd throw my hat in if I wasn't a mere peon...

Goe WhiteWash / Bubbs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

can i be mod?*

*:p

Try hard enough and you can achieve anything... Then again, if that theory was 100% full-proof, why am I still currently on the dole!?

I'd love to mod it!

A vote for me is a vote for a greener future, and as usual cabbages for all my supporters! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I also have a big interest in environmental issues and I would be more than happy to devote time, effort and energy to moderating such a worthy forum. I would like to participate in furthering green issues and discourse as environmental issues effect and have affect on the intricacies and vicissitudes of every aspect of people's everyday existance, wether people are aware of it or no. I think it's a great forum and boards.ie is a great platform for it and as I am interested in this issue and I would like to contribute something to it and boards.ie in general.

Originally posted by Typedef
    I also have a big interest in environmental issues and I would be more than happy to devote time, effort and energy to moderating such a worthy forum. I would like to participate in furthering green issues and discourse as environmental issues effect and have affect on the intricacies and vicissitudes of every aspect of people's everyday existance, wether people are aware of it or no. I think it's a great forum and boards.ie is a great platform for it and as I am interested in this issue I would like to contribute something to it and boards.ie in general.
    [george]woo u use big pertty words[/george] :D

Yeah, people call me Typedef the Eco-Friendly Etymologist linux troll :--)

lightman, what a uh, suprise, won't you step into my office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh thats just the public side beginning... there's been fierce behind the scenes campaigning already... much laying out of credentials and curriculum vitaes ;)

I think for once, when these mods are picked I'll try to explain why I picked those people rather then others. I have to say there are already several people who I would choose for moderatorship but since there are only two mods to any board in general there will always be completely suitable people who wont be picked...

The one thing I will say is the names that appear in every new board-mod thread tend to have that weighed against them imho.
    Wanting to be mod that badly indicates that

a. you want it for the wrong reasons.

b. you dont clearly understand the role of a mod... its not a status symbol nor is it power (beyond that of being able to cut things from your board... which will very quickly lead to me cutting YOU from the position of board mod :) )

There is no secret handshake or mailing list or mods-board or get togethers or anything like that. Most mods will tell you the same thing: being a mod get's old *real* feckin' quick :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

He's right you know, there aren't really any advantages to being a moderator of a board, apart from the initial "I can go around and mess with people's posts/threads, ph33r!", but in reality you can't, because people would complain and you'd be chucked out on your arse.

;) (<--- Secret moderator's smiley)

Originally posted by DeVore
    Oh thats just the public side beginning... there's been fierce behind the scenes campaigning already... much laying out of credentials and curriculum vitaes ;)

I think for once, when these mods are picked I'll try to explain why I picked those people rather then others. I have to say there are already several people who I would choose for moderatorship but since there are only two mods to any board in general there will always be completely suitable people who wont be picked...

The one thing I will say is the names that appear in every new board-mod thread tend to have that weighed against them imho.
    Wanting to be mod that badly indicates that

a. you want it for the wrong reasons.

b. you dont clearly understand the role of a mod... its not a status symbol nor is it power (beyond that of being able to cut things from your board... which will very quickly lead to me cutting YOU from the position of board mod :) )

There is no secret handshake or mailing list or mods-board or get togethers or anything like that. Most mods will tell you the same thing: being a mod get's old *real* feckin' quick :)

DeV.

actually we just paid dev a tenner and a pint and he made us mods. its not that special, but for gods sake someone make smak a mod and maybe, just maybe he will stop posting one word posts every minute.

Behind the sceens campaigning! gad dammit why didn't i think of that!

And as for moderating becoming old fast! nonsence! I think i'm doin a pritty decent job over on the sci/fi board, granted it doesn't attract the usual spammers (smak wwman etc. :p) but I still clean up stuff in a fair and just manner ;) when it arises...

I beg u, at least consider me! :)

I know this is devores pet project and all, but and i still post my personal views there. Very view are in line with the green party, in fact nearly all are against

Originally posted by Boston
    I know this is devores pet project and all, but and i still post my personal views there. Very view are in line with the green party, in fact nearly all are against

thats whatyou need. someone who can put a few good arguments together to get the prolitariate to think.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    but for gods sake someone make smak a mod and maybe, just maybe he will stop posting one word posts every minute.

:p. im mod on hitk clan forum so thats eneough for me.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This isnt really a pet project of mine, though I do think about the environment a fair bit. It was a suggestion which I felt had merit and so supported it. *shrug*

Seems to be taking off too... which is nice.

DeV.

I've said it many times before - Expansion is good, and despite me having very little interest in things such as Green Issues (And almost 90% of other things involved in life), I feel it would be a great board to have...

I wont nominate anyone, I wont throw myself at the superpowers in a sad attempt to become moderator of two boards (I've never asked to be a moderator full-stop - It all comes down to what Dev said previously) so what am I going to do!?

Erm, nothing I guess, just support the board in anyway I can (Which may involve sparking off conversation by being my usual negative, self centered self - But thats not always a bad thing...)

Power to the Green Board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i asked this b4 but never got answered

whats the difference betwen a

Community Moderator

and

Moderator ?

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    i asked this b4 but never got answered

whats the difference betwen a

Community Moderator

and

Moderator ?
    I don't know but i'm curious myself!

To put it bluntly, the community boards are like, how do i say it politely, the Minor range of boards... they are mainly boards issued to Game Clans i.e. HL Clans, CS Clans, TFC Clans, so that they can have all their clan related discussions without broadcasting their stuff allover Boards.ie for everyone to see...

The basic "Board" is for Topics that each and everyone can drop in on and discuss.

Community Moderator could be the leader of one of the clans, and the person who requested a clan board - You can guess what the Normal Moderator is...

There are many community boards, but the majority of them are for topics that wouldn't be discussed to as big an extent as the normal Board Topics...

Hope this helps!?

i should be banned from posting early in the morning, that post is all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

mods are one fo the main board mods (just the boards on the main page - no super powers)
    community mods are just on private forums like gang-wars or various clan boards - with are private and which only member's can see

hth
    MiCr0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i don't think i've ever seen so many mod's reply to a thread

• Advertisement

I take it no-one actually understood my post then!?

For shame, I'll have to re-sit my LC English Exam... Thanks a bunch lads, you've really put the wind in my sails....

*Whinge* *Whine* *Moan* *Complain*

Your definition is flawed :p I'm mod of the sci-fi / fantasy board.. its not private and yet still a 'Community moderator'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

seems im the only one that posted without mod etc status :)

But then again, you have to take into consideration that I didn't state that "All" community boards are private!

My main emphasis was that the Community Boards are used to discuss topics that aren't as hugely popular as the basic board topics...

Typical Example... As much as we hate to admit it, Counter-Strike is one of the most popular things in the community, and you'll find many many people posting things on that board, regardless of how sad the topic is - The Sci-Fi board would, in my humble opinion, be a much better read, but of course, it isn't as widely utilised as the CS board...

Ok but how about the Travel / Hols board ... the sci-fi board is certainly more popular than that!

I guess someone just doesn't like me :(;)

• Advertisement

I also never said that Sci-Fi isn't a popular topic... I suppose it just comes down to the decision of whoever was sorting out the Board Listings, but I hope you understand the general jist of my response...

After all, it also serves as a divider between all the boards currently avaliable...

Look im going to drop it now - Looks like I have just as much trouble explaining things as I do trying to remain sober whilst consuming vast ammounts of alcohol, whilst suffering with the flu and currently using Anti-Biotics + a Diet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    For shame, I'll have to re-sit my LC English Exam... Thanks a bunch lads, you've really put the wind in my sails....

*Whinge* *Whine* *Moan* *Complain*

Y'Know, I've got a board right here designed to cater for individuals like yourself: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=107 :D:D:D:D. And yes I too have rarely seen so many mods reply to a single thread :)

you know, us mods have to stick together, without us this place might fall apart.. or is that with us

Cheers Seamus, I'd actualy click the link if I wasn't a nineteen year old "Happy to have quit school two years ago" humourless little social welfare scrounging juvenile...

Thanks for the link none the less :D

Hello everyone.

I just thought I'd troll a little bit a resurrect this thread.

Green Issues matter.

How about myself and Typedef for mods?
    We both have an interest, I have experience(:D) n he has purtty words n stuff;)

Advertisement