Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom pricing vs Euro community

Options
  • 21-01-2002 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I just did a quick sum up of ADSL pricing with the main telecom companies across Europe and, guess what? Ireland is 3 times more expensive :( This is totally unacceptable... I wonder if the Telecom board will force them to reduce their pricing...

Here is what I found :

France Telecom:
    Modem pack: € 150,92 TTC
    Monthly fee: € 45,43

Belgium Belgacom:
    Modem: € 109
    Monthly: € 54,41

Germany QSC AG:
    Modem:
    Monthly: € 49,90

Holland KPN:
    Modem+Installation: € 294,96
    Monthly: € 44,93

Spain Telefonica:
    Free modem with subscription
    Monthly fee: € 42,04

Ireland Eircom:
    Modem: € 174.46
    Connection: € 152.00
    Monthly fee: € 132.00

Comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Pac
    Comments?

For what we are about to receive, Eircom - we are truly grateful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I just thought I would mention that AOL is now offering "AOL HIGH SPEED DSL Flat" for € 19.90 per month in Germany. The speed is, AFAIK, 768kbps down, 128kbps up. You have to sign a contract stating that you will take it for at least 12 months.

This is the page on their web site with more information:
    http://portal.aol.de/software/dslleistung.jsp?promocode=249120&promocode2=249123

I am not aware of any setup fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

Spain Telefonica:
    Free modem with subscription
    Monthly fee: € 42,04

That's not actually true. Telefonica is not offering the modem for free.

Others are offering it, like Ya.COM, Wanadoo or Tiscalli but if you sign up for two years with them. What Telefonica is doing is offering the set-up fee for free, while others like Terra, charge for it (about €114.46).

And then, the €42.04 that you wrote is before tax, which adding a 16% comes to €48.77.

Anyway, just making this corrections. Don't get mad at me :p

JamworkS

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Here in Switzerland, I am subscribed to a service as follows :

Data Rate : 256/64
    USB Modem : 299 CHF (Approx 200 EUR)
    Monthly Cost : 64 CHF (Approx 042 EUR)
    Startup (one off cost) : 100 CHF (Approx 66 EUR)

The 512/128 rate is 96 CHF p.m. Rates are offered up to 2Mb lines over ADSL.

Up to the end of december, there was 150 CHF off the installation/modem costs, so the total setup was 250 CHF (170 EUR) instead of 400 CHF

Other modems & Routers were also offered for a higher cost.

Quality of service, BTW, is generally excellent. I get < 100 ping to the radox server for example, which is situated in Dublin.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Está esto el Eircom que ahora es poseído por esa compañía
    española?

This in response to Jamworks

• Advertisement

First of all, no Spanish or foreign language in the boards. I consider the same if somebody starts speaking Irish in here, which i wouldn't understand.

And second of all, was that spanish? If you thought what you wrote meant something in Spanish ... keep trying.

Post again in english ... and i'll see if i can understand you.

JamworkS

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ohhhh Saucer of milk to Table 5 :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I was just talking to a Canadian colleague about broadband here - he cannot believe DSL is not widely available, everyone in Canada has it even people who are not that interested in the internet

Typical DSL pricing there is as follows

24.95 canadian $ a month for first 6 months, then 29.99 a month thereafter
    + 10 dollars a month modem rental (unless you buy your own)
    + free installation
    + 1 month free
    + 1 more month free if you refer a friend

Even there there's controversy
    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/169070.html

They ought to try coming here if they want to experience "Anti-Competitive DSL Pricing" we are world leaders in this department

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

What on earth is wrong with posting in our first national language? :)

Do you want Martin to get rid of his "O'Donnell Abú" nick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Do you want Martin to get rid of his "O'Donnell Abú" nick?

LOL! NO WAY! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

What I find interesting is how they actually try and win customers. What a joy to see a competitive marketplace in action.

In Canada, free install, free month's service, discounted service etc. Ireland, you constantly contact your favourite incumbent or OLO and beg and plead to be allowed use and pay for their service.

"Is this the Eircom that now is had by that Spanish company?"

Okay so the translation sucked a little, I was only asking if this was the same company that was allowed to buy Eircom?

And ultimately will el Presidente of new Spanich-owned Eircom have any influence over our chances of fair priced ADSL?

(Sounds like someone needs a good rootin' Jammie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Pac, do you have up/down bandwidth figures for those offerings?

Also, are they flat rate unlimited or is there a per MB charge for exceeding a monthly allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fixer

I still find it amazing that some people continue to compare apples to oranges. Things cost different amounts in different places, including materials, labor, planning, licensing, etc. Also, the market conditions are greatly different in various places. Can any of you say that you have looked at the economics of this? Look at things like the cost involved to wire a house in Doolin vs Berlin, then ask yourself if that even matters.

Does ADSL actually need a wiring installation into homes?
    Its based on current existing copper wiring isn't it?

So apart from the upgrading of exchanges, (which is always being done anyway supposedly aka justification for increased eircom charges on existing lines), what is actually the difference in cost?

Naive questions yes, but only by asking will we know.

Viva el Valencia!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Clinical Waste
    española?

It's "Valentia", not "Valencia"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Talking to a Russian colleague today about the same subject. He sent me a follow up email titled "Ireland off-line ( Russia on-line :)" - yes its getting embarrassing at this stage

Heres the guts of the email

"Found some info re ADLS services in Russia.

For example, in St. Petersburg there are two providers of ADSL services. The first launched the service in 1999, the second one - in 2000:
    1. The WebPlus provider charges $29 a month for guaranteed 64K connection (connection charge is $199). All the information is available in English at: http://www.wplus.ru/en/s-adsl.html
    A higher speed ADSL (128K) would cost $99 a month with the same connection fee.
    2. The Russia on-Line charges $59 a month with the same one-time connection fee. (There is no info in English)

In Moscow the prices are much higher. :(((

Have a look at this URL for more information: http://ned.ru/news.html?d=20010622 "

[end]

Apparentely more expensive in Moscow means about $60-100 per month.

But in Moscow because of the population density its common for a group of people in an apartment block to club together and get a leased line - so DSL is not as much in demand. Satellite internet access is also available - he was not sure of the price.

sceptre quote:
    Originally posted by Clinical Waste
    española?

It's "Valentia", not "Valencia"

Cheers Sceptre!! At least somebody puts some light into the thread cause i still couldn't understand what your man (Clinical Waste) was talking about, not after i got lost with his sh1ty translation into spanish ... ;) (no ofense)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by fixer
    I still find it amazing that some people continue to compare apples to oranges. Things cost different amounts in different places, including materials, labor, planning, licensing, etc. Also, the market conditions are greatly different in various places. Can any of you say that you have looked at the economics of this? Look at things like the cost involved to wire a house in Doolin vs Berlin, then ask yourself if that even matters.
    A few years ago I would have agreed with you, but a definate pattern is emerging now. Ireland is becoming the exception in developed nations. Seems like it's apples here and oranges everywhere else. The onus is on those charging ourtragious prices here to justify them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yeh, i concur. Last year i would have thought the prices for broadband vary pretty widely worldwide. However, it seems now that DSL pricing is roughly similar round europe and beyond. Correct me if im wrong but i dont think ive seen an entry level option above IEP60 in this thread?

• Advertisement

Okay,

Viva el Valentia then!

(and maybe we will see cheaper broadband from them)

ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

Thats true, things do cost different amounts in different countries and Canada is cheaper than Ireland for almost everything.... you should compare Sushi restaurants.

Two things though:

1. ADSL in Canada is 3MB/sec while Eircom says 512kb/sec. Don't tell me light moves faster in Canada.

2. Canada HAS dsl AND Cable, Eircom doesn't have either at the moment. At any price.

3. Unrelated, but a phone line in Canada with UNLIMITED local calling costs about 15 Euro/month, and if you want UNLIMITED long distance (in a country 5x as big as europe) that'll cost you another 13 Euro a month.

Some things about ireland are pretty nice, but your phone company SUCKS LARGE.

Originally posted by Canadian
    ......ome things about ireland are pretty nice, but your phone company SUCKS LARGE.

Thats SUCKS LARGE, LONG AND HARD! (on themselves)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The words Richard and donkey seem pertinant for some reason.

Advertisement