Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please recommend a network card

Options
  • 21-01-2002 8:33pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

As per topic, I am looking to buy a network card.
    Any recommendations ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

D-link, there just the best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'm using a relatively cheapo Genius 10/100 NIC - £18 from IT Direct - nothing wrong with it running DSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Intel PRO/1000T

or if you don't have a gigabit switch :) the 3com and Intel ones are the best. (And whatever you do, don't buy that cheap d-link crap :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

3com = rock on. :D

hehe I have the same one bio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

3com 3c905 = only one to have

• Advertisement

3coms way overprised, D-link is jsut as good if not better.
    coem on, 30 euro is the max you want to be paying for a eternet card

sorry boston but I know I can rely on a 3com nic I just don't know I can rely on a d-link :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Get the 3com 3c905-TX, it is without doubt the best NIC you can get for your money. They are only around £35 or whatever that is in this new fangled € crap :)

Very good performance, excelent driver support on all platforms - everything youd want from a nic. Lots of people have had problems with some D-Link cards in Windows 2000/NT/XP or *nix based systems, whereas i have never heard of any issues with 3com cards.

In the end, you get what you pay for.

well of course the 3com is an excellent model, but why go overboard. the d-link is a fine card. ive ran several of them on most windows based systems including Xp and win2k pro. no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

not 100% (only 99.9%) sure, but I have a 3C905 TX at home.
    Doesn't do full duplex at 100Mbit, 'Beta' driver suppoort for win2k :(
    Got a Realtek 8139C for £20 before christmas.
    Class card, sturdy, reliable, fast and FD@100Mbit.
    And yes I agree 3Com is waaaay overpriced.
    For business/corporate use I can well see the point in buyibng the best as thi stuff will be used every day and is relied heavily upon, but for home/small office/GamesLan use the Cheap+Cheerfull RealTeks are class :)
    Have a ISA Dlink 10MBit at home. Horrible, horrible card.

Anyone with a good price on a 24-port switch? 10 or 100.
    100MBit uplink on 10 and Gig (if possible) on 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i've got one of those 3com's too
    the do indeed rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

http://www.unitechelectronics.com/networkcard.htm
    I think the only ix86 os that does not support this card is Solaris 8.0.

I'd hardly call £35 punts waaaay overpriced, although most places I've checked have em between £35-50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by SyxPak
    not 100% (only 99.9%) sure, but I have a 3C905 TX at home.
    Doesn't do full duplex at 100Mbit, 'Beta' driver suppoort for win2k :(

Its not the 3C905-TX then, because i have it running in windows 2000. It has full driver support for win2k,winME,winXP,win9*,linux and freebsd. It runs in full duplex at 100mbit. Its a quality card, and £35 is definetly not 'expensive' for what your getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

3COM 905, when you absolutely, positively have to get every packet sent to you, except no substitute.

:)

I heartliy endore this product and/or service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

where can you get a 3c905c for £35 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Kev
    where can you get a 3c905c for £35 ?

Not Compstore, that's for sure. I was in there last week and they're still flogging the things for 75 nicker

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

IT direct no better for 3coms.. I know Gateway when they were open sold them for £30 and better still were classed as non returnable so if you said it was faulty they sent andother one with no return needed!

Peats have cheap D-Links (Cigarette Smoking Man is not impressed by that though)

I use Linksys and you can get them cheap in Maplin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Teaching them how to cheat the system bitch !!

Originally posted by Saruman
    Peats have cheap D-Links (Cigarette Smoking Man is not impressed by that though)

Let's not get picky now :)

For the extra few quid it's worth it, especially if your going to be using it with a cross over cable ;)

• Advertisement

never used D-links so dont know if they are good or not.. cant beat 3coms though!

Evilgeorge, dont be so loud.. shush.. its only cheating if they get caught.. but erm Gateway may be gone but you can still get away with it if you have one...

Hey Cigarette Smoking Man, what about IBM's.. in fact what about a Token ring network.. i have no experience in them at all so do you know what they are like? Would they be faster than an enthernet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Dont touch a token ring network unless you have a specific purpose for using it.

Originally posted by Saruman
    Hey Cigarette Smoking Man, what about IBM's.. in fact what about a Token ring network.. i have no experience in them at all so do you know what they are like? Would they be faster than an enthernet?

The only people that use token ring are IBM! They're 16/4. You also need a MAU/CAU to use them as you can't use an ethernet switch.

Yeah i figured it would not be straight forward.. i only knew about the way they work in layout terms.. Just curious.. anyway some real cheap Genius cards in peats, never used one.. i think they have some trust cards too.. I know they do a good USB isdn adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If someone could show me where to get good 3Com 100MBit Full Duplex Busmastering cards for €35 i'd buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

3COM 10/100MBps Card €44.00 - trade prices at ccity.ie

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hi SysPak,

Dug around here and I have 2x 3COM 3C905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL PCI cards.

I'll let ye have one for €35 including postage?

Stephen

Advertisement