Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

german orals

Options
  • 21-01-2002 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

anyone else on these boards sitting german for the leaving cert?

I know the french orals are supposed to be difficult but what we have to learn for german is not just difficult but so incredibly useless...

i can't bear those poxy picture sequences and role plays... what benefit can they possibly have other than improving our memory use?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You poor thing, i did French last year, that tape gave me nightmares for weeks afterwards, it reduced some poor girl to tears, yak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I`m doing german yeah they serve no real purpose but at least if ya work at them ya got guarenteed marks same with the gen. conv if ya want some stuff for that give us a shout and i`ll give ya some vocab for towns/villages ,what you do,average day etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

hehehehehehe those were great. I found it quite hard to stick to the script given to me outside the oral, when the nerves got to me (or maybe it was because I only learned half of them because of my leet studying strategy [probability is great]). But I found personally that it introduced vocabulary that I use right now (I'm in Germany) that I never would have learned otherwise, and besides if you do the work its a handy few percent, dont know what youre moaning for. Imagine doing french, nightmare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

mmm i remember those evil role plays too - mind you i only did it last year, and i thought those ones were bad enough - the ones this year look even worse! I dont envy my friends but they're not *that* bad (she says conveniently forgetting the hours spent cramming the night before her oral:-))

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

''dont know what youre moaning for''

I know they're handy marks to get but i really can't see myself going to germany and having an indepth conversation with someone about 'rambo auf dem schulhof' or the kid winning a Reisekarte...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If you can find someone else who is doing German you should arrange to meet up somewhere quiet with no distractions and just practice for the whole day. It gives you plenty of practice and you can correct each others mistakes etc. I think doing this is the only thing that got me through my oral

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by RASKOLNIKOV
    If you can find someone else who is doing German you should arrange to meet up somewhere quiet with no distractions and just practice for the whole day. It gives you plenty of practice and you can correct each others mistakes etc. I think doing this is the only thing that got me through my oral

Agreed. I met my GF in Feb of 6th year, and she coached me on French Oral (shaddup the jokes), and I coached her on Irish in the above way. Upped me from a D3 to a C1, so it has to be good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

yes i concur, oral is good, especially french oral...

whadda mean this is the LC board and not the after hours, oops

Dont suppose anyone has the picture stories,role plays and the recommended texts scanned in or know where i could get a copy because aint got any german teacher and need to start learning the feckers :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MetroDuck

There is a textbook you could buy. It's called "Deutsch fur die mundliche Prufung" by folens. It's got all the picture stories/roll plays and gives you all the stuff you need to know. It even comes with a couple of CDs you can learn while you sleep. Be warned though, you might have scary german nightmares about 'Rambo auf dem Schulhof' and such.

• Advertisement

Cheers Metro gonna buy that now ah cant be as frightening as that dream about jaque`s day at le sea side *shudder*

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Anyone doing the spainish?
    It's total and utter shíte and I can't stand spainish..
    :(

Here is a definitive guide to passing your spanish :D
    Easy Spanish Sayings

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hehe
    I actualy thought it was something decent there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

The thing with the German oral is that you can ace it if you learn the picture sequences and role plays (I presume they're both still on the course) - but learn them all and learn them really well. When you're actually in the oral exam though, don't just roll them off like a poem, sound animated and make them somewhat interesting.

Same with your French document and Irish sliochtai.
    Take some time to work on your oral and it will really pay off.. trust me, I got an A1 in all three...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I am a teacher of German. If anybody wants sample solutions to the Rollenspiele and Bildergeschichten for this year's orals, I will email them to you. The solutions for the Bildergeschichten in that book "Deutsch für die mündliche Prüfung" are too long and unwieldly. You can still receive full marks with shorter solutions.

Don't neglect the general conversation element. It is still the the section of the exam worth the most marks.

Viel Glück!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jer

Hey,

I found last year's role plays/picture sequences really easy. I am repeating this year (too young to to anywhere really), and uhhh those are absolutely horrible. Still haven't learned 1 really really well.

Shamrock, please email those to me. They would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

French aural is really easy, but then again, I would say that wouldn't it, being fluent in French. :D

Jer

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

To be honest, I'm ****ting a load over the orals. I'm just gonna lost the head with someone and bust em outta it. Cousin is engaged to a french dude and I could have got help of him only I'm doin ****in German! grrr!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭embraer170

Any other advice on the German orals? They are getting closer and closer, next week for me, and I am starting to have nightmares about Rambo auf der Schulhof and so on. Horrible things to learn off.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by embraer170
    Any other advice on the German orals? They are getting closer and closer, next week for me, and I am starting to have nightmares about Rambo auf der Schulhof and so on. Horrible things to learn off.
    I got two of the hardest you could get in my oral. Im Zug and that Project one... Study, study, study... you should do alright. Unlike me.

The General questions are easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭unityofsaints

Shamrok,

Very much appreciated if you could send me those picture stories! :p

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

look at the date of the first post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

why was this board revived?its ancient heehee

Advertisement