Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Charges

• 08-10-2000 2:12pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭

just wondering heard something on radio this morning relating to new eircom charges that it will cost from october 24th 5p per 5 minutes instead of old 12.5p per 15 minutes making it 60p an hour to use the net instead of 48p an hour. If this turns out to be the truth its gonna make this isdn very expensive to use. Minimum connect charge reduces from 12p to 5p but thats not of any advantage to those who surf/game for any decent length of time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hmm thats a bit **** really.. although its ok for me cos i only use it when esat is busy (like 80% of the goddamn time)

anyway were mobile calls reduced?
    does anyone know the current charges for pre-paid mobiles?
    cheers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

LOL, I heard they were cutting bills by 16% a move which will cost them £88 Million.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If you look at your phone bill, you will see that this has been in effect for a while now.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Also, make the most of Eircon's discount schemes: http://www.eircom.ie/AtHome/Products/DiscountSchemes.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Theres a picture of lessers on that page.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

they had it on a bus shelter when I saw it..
    if you look at the bottom in small print..
    the price only goes down to 5pence per 5 mins..
    when your on the phone more than 12.5 mins
    lol

:Oj:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

its always been 60p for 60 minutes.
    that 12.5p didnt include tax.
    so its always been 15p for 15 minutes.
    no difference. only difference is that the time between charges is smaller meaning ou dont waste money if you go 1 minute over your 15, if you know what i mean....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭The Dr00g

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    its always been 60p for 60 minutes.
    that 12.5p didnt include tax.

Eh, think you're wrong there m8. No matter anyway. Soon (b4 2005) Eircon will be a thing of the past. Or at the very least they'll be bought out by some big company that knows how to run a business properly. In the meantime, Esat and NTL will eat lumps out of their market share. All good things IMO.

[This message has been edited by The Dr00g (edited 14-10-2000).]

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

esat are lazy *****s
    I was supposed to change to them over 4 months ago sent all the info back, signed the contract
    and they never switched me over ffs
    I'm still with Eircom this day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Another way you have to look at it is Eircom technically own all the phone lines... so until your street has been physically ripped up and NTL or Esat have actually installed physical links to their Network you still have to go through Eircom... I think that state of affairs will probably continue for some time.

I just want Cable... **** the phone charges and the rest of that ********; I want a 24/7 Cable connection with no MB limit or any of that ****, for a flat monthly rate and I'll be laughing.

The amount of pr0n... *drool*

Kegs.

[This message has been edited by Kegser (edited 18-10-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭cheeky_monkey

here here

cheeky.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Actually, the EU directive insisted on the migration from government funded monopolies by the year 1999.

Eircom, somehow, got an extension to that dead line to 2003. As far as I know, they are the only company in Europe to even look for it.

They completed the transition from semi-state body in feb. 2000 but their "unbundling" time frame is unchanged. Techinically they don't have to let anyone else use their bundles until 2003 but in reality, they know that they would be taken to the european court for unfair business practises if they tried to stop others from gaining access. Doesn't mean they have to make it easy though.

Another thing, the extension allowed for a massive injection of government capital which by 2003 will be considered amortised and Telecom can freely make use of the interest earned on the money without any fear of it being claimed as "government support".

smile.gif

lolth2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i stand corrected smile.gif
    still, bastiges smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Kegser:
    Another way you have to look at it is Eircom technically own all the phone lines... so until your street has been physically ripped up and NTL or Esat have actually installed physical links to their Network you still have to go through Eircom... I think that state of affairs will probably continue for some time.
    (edited 18-10-2000).]
    The EU have passed a directive requiring ALL member state TelCos to 'Unbundle the local loop' in the next year or something. Yer wan Etain Doyle had already told eircon as much, this is part of the reason they are furiosly working on their DSL solution (as well as facing competion from ntl).
    Ive given up thinking about Broadband till January, then ill start moaning all over again when neither company is in a postion to give it to me (fnaar fnaar).
    Interesting post script tho. I have a mate in Portugal who has cable with the local cable company and once he goes over 10gb of international traffic he gets charged by the mb..ouch. Anyone know the average bytesize of a game of yer common garden First Person Shooter?

Advertisement