Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 and 2 cent coins....lets get rid of them.

• 22-01-2002 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭

After only a few weeks of the euro it has become painfully obvious to me that the 1 and 2 cent coins are absouletly bloody pointless. I have about 50 of them in my wallet and I cant get rid of them. Obviously they stopped shops rounding up prices a couple of cents but the actual value is so miniscule as to be not worth the bother of even accepting them as change. They are just too much of a pain to actualy count up the amount neccesary to make them worth anything that I have come up with an idea. Im going to throw them away.... preferablly down a drain. This is only going to work if everyone is with me. Oh yes sireee. Act now and spread the word.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I don't agree that the lover coins shold be gotten rid of but I do agree that they are annoying.

While the 1c coin is worth practically it's still far too small. They're bloody miniscule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well, I'm Scottish so I wouldn't throw money away if you paid me!:D

But yes I really really hate those 1 cent peeses. It just doesn't make any sents to make em that small. But now is the time to make a concerted effort to give the wee beggars away whenever you make a transaction.

Or maybe we should gather them together and put them into rolls like the Americans do with their dimes or cents or whatever they use. Roll 10 of them up into a paper roll bag given by the banks.

Ahh I'm just rambling now, someone please stop me...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Why don't you do what I'm doing? Whip all the little fúckers, 1c and 2c into a jar at the end of the week, and in a couple of months you'll have a rake load of dosh to change at the bank. That's what I did with my spare 1p and 2p coins anyway, so it's no difference to me.
    Is it Italy that's actually gotten rid of 1c and 2c coins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Donate them to charity you punk!:D

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Im going to control myself... Last time that any form of Euro was mentioned in a thread I flipped the lid...

[Calm Mode]
    The Euro is, most definately, quite an evil piece of work, and it's my guess that they were running low on copper when they were making the 1cent coin... My little finger nail is bigger than that piece of absolute nonce'ness...

Anyway, after my previous ranting about the entire currency, It was put to me plain and simple, "You just have to get used to it / You can't do anything about it" etc etc, and as much as I hate to admit it, this is true...

So, when you get bored, you could always melt them down and make them into little round balls that can be fired via pellet guns, or you could simply collect a whole bottle of them, reach the pinnacle of the highest building you can find (Preferably with a long drop, and lots of people below) and lob them at unsuspecting victims below you (By the handfull)

Also, they can be utilised in the making of shrapnel grenades - Simply fill a glass bottle with Euro Cent, place two to three bangers (More if you want more special effects) into the bottle, seal the bottle, Light the fuse and run for your life...

Actually, maybe the Euro Cent aren't too bad after all... No wait, they are... I've had my fun :(
    [/Calm Mode]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

My undderstanding is that they plam on removing the 1c and 2c in the near future, having the 5c as the lowest denomonitaion throughout teh €uro zone. But watch the price of the pint rise by about 20c when they do so....feckin publicans!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

Originally posted by djmagra
    My undderstanding is that they plam on removing the 1c and 2c in the near future, having the 5c as the lowest denomonitaion throughout teh €uro zone. But watch the price of the pint rise by about 20c when they do so....feckin publicans!!:D

Liar :D32 times new roman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

They are haunting me !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i just put all 1c, - 20c coins in a jar at the end of each day. then i bring them into the bank when its full and get about €10 :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Thats the same thing I am doing atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Hmmm, think I'll save up those coins as I did in college with the ole 1 and 2 pennies , dumped them in to the vending machine got some bars and nice pounds and fifties for change.

Mate of mine passed by the next day to see a guy getting flooded with coppers :)

Yes thats the solution !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭djmagra

Originally posted by Baldy

Liar :D32 times new roman

WTF?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

Originally posted by EvilGeorge
    Hmmm, think I'll save up those coins as I did in college with the ole 1 and 2 pennies , dumped them in to the vending machine got some bars and nice pounds and fifties for change.

Mate of mine passed by the next day to see a guy getting flooded with coppers :)

Yes thats the solution !!

What are you talking about "flooded with coppers"????????:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

i hate the damn little coins. i'd love 2 c them go

my 2c's (no pun intended :P)

vote your opinion HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I usually dump my small change into some form of charity box if there's one handy when I get it, if not I let it build up in my wallet and whenever it gets annoying I make a note to put it in a charity box next time I see one.

I'd love to see both 1c and 2c coins being done away with personally, apart from penny sweets is there anything that costs less than 5c?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Maybe the boards community could get together with all their 1c coins and get them reformed into larger more useful 1c coins.

All we need to do now is to arrange for the state to accept them and eventually replace the old 1c coin with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Architeckt

The same problem was around when the punt was in force and like then you should just save up the coins in a jar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Keeping all you coins in a jar is "Hoarding", which is illegal. What I do is keep a small amount in a 35mm camera film container - saves my pockets and wallet from the 'sharp' edges. It also means I know how much change I have.

Oddly enough, I find the €2 coin the least useful (few things that I buy are in the range €1.06- €1.99)

Personally, I find the 1c coin very important - you can use them to get rid of 2c coins on the bus.
    Originally posted by Lucifer.POD
    vote your opinion HERE

Here = "Looking for 300w power supply in Dublin"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Coins that small (and in the case of the 1c coin - are not even worth a penny) are completely pointless. They get jammed in the corners of your pockets. And yes, I have noticed that you never actually get to spend them.... everything seems to have been rounded up to a multiple of five in most places anyway - so what's the point ?.... you just get all these tiny, annoying little coins cluttering up everything.

Sorry..... rant over....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kolodny
    Coins that small (and in the case of the 1c coin - are not even worth a penny) are completely pointless. They get jammed in the corners of your pockets. And yes, I have noticed that you never actually get to spend them.... everything seems to have been rounded up to a multiple of five in most places anyway - so what's the point ?.... you just get all these tiny, annoying little coins cluttering up everything.

Let us say a bar of chocolate costs €0.60 and the shopkeeper wants to increase the price to cover inflation, are you suggestion that he can only increase tyhe price by €0.05 or more - thats a 8.33% increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Toast

Originally posted by Victor

Let us say a bar of chocolate costs €0.60 and the shopkeeper wants to increase the price to cover inflation, are you suggestion that he can only increase tyhe price by €0.05 or more - thats a 8.33% increase.

Um my rather pitiful understanding of economics tells me that the way things happen is that the price is usually kept at 60 cent ignoring the inflation rate until inflation says it would be 62 1/2 cent and then they put it up to 65 cent. Theres a word for it and all but I spent most of my economics classes drawing pictures of mortal kombat characters. Im sure someone knows what im talking about.

Originally posted by Toast
    Um my rather pitiful understanding of economics tells me that the way things happen is that the price is usually kept at 60 cent ignoring the inflation rate until inflation says it would be 62 1/2 cent and then they put it up to 65 cent.

Shhhhhhssh! ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

So what? Most people wouldn't give a $hit in our hard currency society. It might hurt the likes of the ex soviet countries who will eventually join the Euro (Hungry, Poland and the Czech Rep.) where 1c is probably like 5 to us. But anyone in Western Europe who moans about a few cents are just penny pinchers and I personally have no time for people like that. Are the rest of us going to let them hold the us back? Majority should rule and anyone I've talked to would rather they got rid of them.

I think it was Finland who didn't release the 1's and 2's (not 100% sure) And I think Ireland should do the same, it should be down to each country to what denominations they release. Maybe that is the case and maybe Ireland decided to release them, I dunno. I get the feeling that Ireland may only have released them temporarily to get through the dual circulation period as shops would always end up having to hand back the odd cent in change for money tendered in Irish.

It's possible that in some less expensive European countries these coins are needed where they might be able to buy say some milk for 6c and 1c makes all the difference to them, but with Ireland's rate of inflation being one of the highest in Europe most of us are long past worrying about 1's and feicin 2's!

In Italy 10 lira coins which equal half a cent were smuggled out of the country into Switzerland to make backs for their finest Swiss watches because it worked out cheaper for them. It was also common to receive a few sweets as change instead of them handing out such small value coins which no one wanted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"Keeping all you coins in a jar is "Hoarding", which is illegal. What I do is keep a small amount in a 35mm camera film container - saves my pockets and wallet from the 'sharp' edges. It also means I know how much change I have." - Oh my god not hoarding! We'll all be arrested

"Oddly enough, I find the €2 coin the least useful (few things that I buy are in the range €1.06- €1.99)" - team it up with a €1 and a 20cent piece and you've got yourself a pint.

Originally posted by Monkey
    Oh my god not hoarding! We'll all be arrested

OOOooo! Sarcarsm! :)
    Originally posted by Monkey
    team it up with a €1 and a 20cent piece and you've got yourself a pint.

Gave up the booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Blade

I think it was Finland who didn't release the 1's and 2's (not 100% sure)

Thats correct, and I belive the €200 and €500 notes are not
    officially availible here.

The coins are a pain allround, why is the 50c larger than the €1?
    The 10 and 20 are too similair in size as well.

Lets face it, they suck.:(

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    and I belive the €200 and €500 notes are not
    officially availible here.

??????????? Really and what happens when a tourist presents one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Isn't that what they do usually anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Did somebody say that keeping your coins in a jar is hoarding which is "illegal"? Did somebody actually say that or am I creating fantasies again?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

??????????? Really and what happens when a tourist presents one?

Yeh the 200's and 500's otherwise known as the Gansters note won't be released here for the obvious money laundering reasons and I don't think the 100 has even been released yet here (not sure) but a tourist brought one in to us and of course you do have to accept them, it's all legal tender wether or not your country released them. It'll be the same in Finland they didn't release the 1's and 2's but they can't refuse you using them as payment.

Advertisement