Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on this video card ?

• 22-01-2002 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Guys, Any thoughts on the following video card ?

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=quadro2pro

I'm currently running a PII 400 with 320MB RAM & a 16MB Creative card & 16MB Voodoo2 under Win XP

Will this card give me a greater performance than the current setup for gaming - currently not bad, but I saw Ghost Recon on a 64MB card & similiar spec system at the weekend & it blew me away, much better/smoother/faster than my own.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The quadro is for professional work, like cad, and offers little to no boost for games. I'll just assume that you mean a geforce2 gts or something similar.

It will boost games which are currently limited by your video card, ie very new games, or any games running in high res. The hardware transform and lighting should also help out your cpu a little bit.

Bear in mind though, that most of the time you will be wasting the graphics card, as it sits around waiting for the cpu to send it work.

Also, your post is very vague. You say "16mb creative card". the fact that it is creative doesn't matter a damn, nor does it tell anyone what chipset the card is.

The "64mb card" could be any one of 20 video cards. And when you say similar spec, what do you mean?

A an extrememly rough spec normally consists of

cpu type and speed
    graphics card (either full name or at least chipset and amount/type of ram)

that will give a rough indication of games performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

At retail prices the Quadro2pro is far far more expensive than a normal Gamers card.

Get a Geforce2 GTS/Pro/Ti/Ultra (In order of performance) or if you have the money a Geforce3 Ti200/(original GF3)/Ti500

The Geforce2 Ti can be very good value for money.

The Geforce 2 Ultra is comparable to the Geforce3 Ti200 which is the entry-level GF3. The Ti200 is very overclockable (if you're into that kind of thing.)

The Geforce3 Ti500 is a bit on the expensive side but delivers the best performance available in a consumer card.

There are also ATI's Radeon cards, namely the very good 8500. This is also a high end card.

(All the above cards should come with 64Megs of DDR Memory)

Any of these cards will deliver a considerable performance increase, especially in newer games. Bear in mind that graphics card performance is directly related to memory bandwidth, which is the main limiting fact of a card.

I'm sure there'll be more good advice from other people before long.

Advertisement