Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novels(reviews)

Options
  • 22-01-2002 5:28pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What novel's are you doing for the leaving cert?I am doing "How many miles to Babylon" By Jenifer Johnston
    "Lies of Silence" by some fella
    "Fly away Peter" by some mong,
    And "Dance with wolf's film"(kevin cosner one)

Anyway, What I really need to know, does anyone have any reviews of anysort of those books?
    I badly need them, and with the mocks in 3/4 weeks, I don't have enough time to re-read "how many miles to babylon" or "fly away peter" <- I am serious bad on that book, cna't remember anything :(

All help would be greatly appreatated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

your lucky in our day we had a very limited choice. I did animal farm, lord of the flies (great book) and Silas Marinar.

So they have finally introduced the movie thing?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea, I think it was brought in last year.
    Tis good that they have a movie thing

My exam will be on the film, and two of the books
    Lies of silence and How many miles to babylong most likely, but just in case something comes up about fly away peter, I don't hvae a clue about it, so I need reviews :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Macbeth(godawful)
    Wuthering Heights(good)
    Death of a Salesman(good)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Bah - I need reviews!!!

Ahh com'n someone must have reviews..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by Celt
    Macbeth(godawful)

Hey hey now, I liked macbeth.

(it's the analyzing it and writing about it I can't stand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Try google or amazon?

I think that's the first place he looked.

I see what you're up to, you spammer.

richindub2.jpg

rofl @ phaxx

Yeah, of course that's the first place I looked,
    I just found too many sites, they wern't even reviews, evevn though it said they were, and all I was finding too was to biuy te book online

How about you have a look aswell rich, and you can hvae 1 more post reply if you can find any reviews :p

He'll post a dud link or put up a broken geocities page saying "HEAR ISY REE-VEEOO OF TEH BOOK FLIE AWEH WITH PETAR"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I did my leaving last year, which was the first year to be examined on the new english course. As a result they went easy on us and I got a C1 :D - was expecting a D.

The literature we did was:

Hamlet /Shakespeare- boring as hell, snooze.
    The Silent People /Walter Macken. Irish famine saga, better than it sounds.
    Dances With Wolves [film] /good, but long :)
    And I can't feckin remember the name of other book. It was a semifictional autobiography by Seamus Deane, and it sucked. Hard. Depressing northern ireland repressed catholic boy stuff.

*edit* - Remembered the title - "Reading in the Dark".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by phaxx

Hey hey now, I liked macbeth.

(it's the analyzing it and writing about it I can't stand)
    Well I dont like it :)
    It's not meant to be read and suffers because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Syn-Boy

OJ, try these sites, i got my summaries for skool here

www.pinkmonkey.com (its legite)

www.novelguide.org

im not doing the same ones as you but i'd be pretty sure they're there

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah English is a funny subject. I would have liked to try the new course. I did
    Hamlet,
    Playboy of the Western World (Pretty short :))
    Emma - Jane Austen (Hopeless drivel)

Funny thing is, I was getting A's all the way through to Easter, and then got a C2. So I went and saw the papers and the examiner had marked me down for not doing something that my english teacher specifially told me not to do, because it makes the paper boring:
    eg, "Give examples of honesty and deceit in Hamlet". THe examiner wanted an answer along the lines of:
    "There is honesty when........there is deceit when.......and there is also honesty and deceit when.....etc etc......"
    Instead, I just wrote something like
    "Honesty and deceit are...blah blah", and then went on to describe where that happened in the scenes - much more readable than the former. But of course being a picky bitch (I could tell it was a women from the correcting style :D) she marked me down on both papers for not doing it her way :mad: Anyway I got my first choice so I didn't bother with a recheck :) (OT, but I'm the mod here, so what you gonna do 'bout it? huh?)

Those sites haven't got anything for the books I am doing :(

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by seamus
    Yeah English is a funny subject. I would have liked to try the new course. I did
    Hamlet,
    Playboy of the Western World (Pretty short :))
    Emma - Jane Austen (Hopeless drivel)

Funny thing is, I was getting A's all the way through to Easter, and then got a C2. So I went and saw the papers and the examiner had marked me down for not doing something that my english teacher specifially told me not to do, because it makes the paper boring:
    eg, "Give examples of honesty and deceit in Hamlet". THe examiner wanted an answer along the lines of:
    "There is honesty when........there is deceit when.......and there is also honesty and deceit when.....etc etc......"
    Instead, I just wrote something like
    "Honesty and deceit are...blah blah", and then went on to describe where that happened in the scenes - much more readable than the former. But of course being a picky bitch (I could tell it was a women from the correcting style :D) she marked me down on both papers for not doing it her way :mad: Anyway I got my first choice so I didn't bother with a recheck :) (OT, but I'm the mod here, so what you gonna do 'bout it? huh?)

Oh man i was told exactly the same thing by my teacher and did exactly what you did in you're paper, i didn't recheck it thought so i'll never know if i got marked down for it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

if you want reviews go to www.amazon.co.uk
    click books, type in the name of book (no author needed)
    and hey presto! Lies of Silence gets 4 out of 5 stars, a gripping thriller apparently..
    I did wuthering heights way back when in 97 and i did not like it! BUT on thinking back it was rather good!! I was not a reader back then now i cant get enough books to read!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I cant help you with the reviews, well actually you should check out some leaving cert websites like www.leaving-cert.net
    I think thats it, but the texts im doing are:

Great Expectations(good)
    Death of a Salesman(Quite good)
    MAcbeth(havent done)
    The third man(good)

I think my choices are pretty good:)

Look there too, still haven't found any sites :(

The only book that needs review now is "Fly away peter" bye someone reeves..

thanks for the help anyway guys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

oj's first post: 22-01-2002 04:28 PM
    oj's last post: 01-02-2002 12:23 AM

in those ten days you could have read both the books.

lazy.

• Advertisement

I know, I am lazy, see it all comes down to weather I liked the books, but I don't its hard to do something you don't like, and I didn't like the book "fly away peter"

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Originally posted by RASKOLNIKOV

Oh man i was told exactly the same thing by my teacher and did exactly what you did in you're paper, i didn't recheck it thought so i'll never know if i got marked down for it :(

Same here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

We're doing:
    "A Room with a View" (Film)
    "Philadelphia, Here I Come!" (Play)
    "The Grass is Singing" (Novel)

oh the fun of comparative study course!

and Hamlet :)

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Alls y'alls should get yourselves copies of Cliff's Notes - any one relating to your novels and plays - they give story synopses, character breakdowns, themes, backgrounds and stuff. Really really good.

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/

Advertisement